main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah I don’t think any amount of coincidence by itself could explain why only white guys were in power

TheRedBlade likes this.
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean the real explanation, of course, was that it was Hollywood in the 70's and 80's and we have systemic issues here on Earth.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I really don't think this is something the OT forces us to conclude. It's a bad look, but again, a couple dozen people in a galactic government--most of whom are military, in fact, not actual governing officials--are by no stretch of the imagination "the only people in power". I would be comfortable with Coffee's notion that the higher echelons of the military are an old-boy's-club (especially because that's already at least semi-canon per Smuggler's Run), but I don't think it's something that absolutely needs an explanation. In an organization the size of the Empire, yes, it can be an unfortunate coincidence. Just like this is...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Iron_lord, Jedi Princess and Daneira like this.
  4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Thanks, Gamiel. That covered a lot of ground very well, including a discussion of how the conceptualization of Jewishness evolved over time that had a lot of information that was new to me. @Sigismund , as it was your question that initially got this particular ball rolling, you may find this to be of interest.

BobaMatt likes this.
  5. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm planning to listen to the audiobook soon. Any details on queer characters?
    At least that'll give me something to hold onto when Solo (probably) disappoints in LGBT diversity.

6. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Taka is nonbinary.

TheRedBlade and Endor_boy like this.
  7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Here's something I haven't seen much chat about, but it occurred to me back when the announcement was first made that Tag & Bink were going to appear in Solo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It never occurred to me that Bink Otuana wasn't a person of color, because...I have functioning eyes. But he wasn't cast as a person of color. And now I just read this on Wookieepedia.

"Bink's appearance is based on Kevin Rubio's brother Brian. In Tag & Bink Are Dead, Bink appears significantly darker skinned than Tag; however, according to Kevin Rubio, this was done so as to further differentiate the two. By Tag & Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace, Bink and Tag have a more similar complexion."

So.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    CooperTFN likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They're Hispanic, which depending on whom you're talking to can qualify as either white or non-white.

And I mean, Bink's POC status has been so wishy-washy that I'm not too perturbed to see a white guy playing him, especially if it's just a cameo, as tends to be the case when it's screenwriters in roles.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't Hispanic just means that Spanish is your mother's tongue and has noting to do with skin colour? Or is this another one of those Americanisms that I don't understand

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In my understanding, Hispanic is a vague, broad term referring to populations that have a historical link to Spain. In other words, Hispanics cover the whole specter of skin tones.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It's complicated.

Anyway Bink's not being played by a Hispanic actor, so wompppp.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    jSarek, TheRedBlade and CooperTFN like this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think there was a little talk on Twitter about that when it was announced. I dunno, it’s a weird situation and for all we know they’re just background characters that the credits happen to call Tag and Bink. If the movie actually gives us any Imperials of color whatsoever I’ll feel more charitable about it—and if it doesn’t then it’s just par for the course.

Iron_lord and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The course is bad, Coop! We need to stop golfing here!

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, pretty much.

Julio Teheran is black, but Colombian and therefore, Hispanic. Just one example.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The Lando's Summit sketch reminded me of this sketch, which is wonderful.

Someone on the SNL writing staff is an enormous Star Wars nerd, because most of their sketches are...pretty canon compliant? And there's no reason whatsoever that this should be a concern in a comedy skit?

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    While we're at it.

Iron_lord, Outsourced, AV-6R7 and 4 others like this.
  18. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Anyone familiar with the scene from Chasing Amy where Hooper X exposits about the lack of racial diversity in comics? I couldn't post a clip here because of the language, but if you know it you know it's an interesting reverse conversation starter.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I love this sketch because at my old job I used to meet so many guys just like this.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Rereading Mercy Kill - the Wraiths run into a black Imperial officer.

22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Rereading Mercy Kill - the Wraiths run into a black Imperial officer.

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Interesting point brought up here about Barriss Offee, the Muslim coding of Mirialans, and the terrorism arc of The Clone Wars.

Vthuil, starfish, BobaMatt and 2 others like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Glad you brought this to my attention - I normally flee in terror from thread necromancy and would normally have never bothered with that, but it's actually been an interesting conversation to follow, not least because I myself had never thought in terms of Mirialans as being Muslim-coded before.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Same.

Iron_lord likes this.