main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, @mavjade , I never knew that. More than one of my efforts have gained the crack!fic moniker, so that is good to know.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent food for thought. I'd thought of crack as always humorous, but upon looking in fanloreDAHTORG, some crackalackin tropes such as wingfic, ARs, AUs such as the high school or coffee shop AUs can be downright serious. I guess it's the original premise that springboards into the territory and what follows can be of a serious nature or, you know, as surreal as the idea gets. As for the cutting off point between humor and crack ... [face_dunno]

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I have never heard of wingfics or ARs.

Gamiel, pronker and Findswoman like this.
  4. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    AR is Alternate Reality, differing from AU in that Luke, for example, operated an Earth dojo and his premier student, Kylo, went bad. It's keeping the general characterization and is sort of nifty. Wingfic I don't know nearly as well, because the only story I read took a too-good-for-this-galaxy character, Obi-Wan, and gave him wings that existed in an ethereal plane that could only be seen the times when Obi-Wan's super-good nature was most apparent, and then only some folks could see them. I don't recall if he could actually fly.[face_chicken]

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Agree with mavjade -- usually when I've seen it applied or applied it myself it does apply to a relationship that is way implausible. Crack!fics in general probably need to be unique in the context/setting as well although the writer is often able to pull it off and make it seem a fun possibility.

brodiew, pronker and Findswoman like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, thank you. Alternate Reality versus Alternate Universe does sound like an interesting, and necessary differentiation. That wingfic example certainly sounds out there, even compared to my first crack!guess(?) of what a wingfic could be, which involved being attacked by a pterodactyl (I listened to a podcast earlier, suggesting these things could still be around, eg. the US' Thunderbird, and a Papua New Guinean creature called a Ropen).

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Ewok Poet, Findswoman and pronker like this.
  7. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Teehee, a crack reply! :)

Ewok Poet, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I finished up REBELS S3 last night and the two finale was incredible. I have a Kanera question, however. At one point while Kanan is returning from his mission to recruit the ancient Force user, Hera talks to him on comm and tells him: "Just get back her, Love.' or some variation. I found this surprising because I thought there relationship was not started until S4. Can someone clarify this for me, please?

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @brodiew, as I recall, Hera and Kanan are at very least romantically interested in each other as early as A New Dawn. Hera calls Kanan "love" with some frequency throughout the earlier seasons too, and their gestures (arms around each other, Hera's hand on Kanan's chest, etc.) often hint at romantic love, too; one of the promotional clips introducing the characters has Kanan describing Hera as one of the Outer Rim's best pilots, then saying something like, "But I'm biased" while showing Hera with her arms around Kanan in that very way. There are also the various "space-parent" comments ("Make mom and dad proud," "he takes after you, you realize"), as well as the way Kanan gets all kinda-sorta-nervous about meeting Hera's dad in "Hera's Heroes" in season three. I haven't seen season four beyond previews and the odd clip (so no one spoil things for me, please), but I get the feeling that the Kanera relationship developments that happen there are not so much something completely new as more the culmination of lots of little things that have been present throughout the series.

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you for clearing it up for me, Findswoman. I watched S1 and 2 when they aired, but S3, now, some time later. The family aspect is pretty blatant, but I guess it's been a while since I noticed any the touching you mentioned. There wasn't much of it in the last half of S3.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    In addition to what @mavjade and others have said, to me the biggest difference is that crack!fic is not intended to be taken seriously. I think of crack!fic as a totally crazy, over-the-top idea that the author decided to play out just for laughs - there's not really much "truth" to it (in a canon/fanon sense, or even as far as accurate characterization). This is why I am very hesitant to apply the word to another author's story, unless they have used it first. But perhaps other people don't see it this way.

Hmm, I never heard of AR. I would call the story described an Earth AU. But I could see how Earth/highschool/coffeeshop/office/etc AUs could be called ARs instead. I just haven't seen it in practice.

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    [​IMG]
    ;)

EDIT: No, seriously. I have a work-in-progress titled "Wind God Helps Anakin Beat Math". [face_blush]

brodiew, pronker and Findswoman like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Interesting discussions.

In regards to Crack!Fics, I agree with Tarsier. Crack!fics are written knowing that whatever situation or paring would NEVER happen [in terms of canon or logical AU/AR (another great discussion) or characterization]. It is not meant to be taken as a serious piece of work (humorous stories are fun, but logic does typically go into and apply to them). I also wouldn't apply that label to another person's fic unless they themselves applied it.

In terms of AU/AR, I think the two can be interchangeable for pretty much all instances and I think AU is just a more used term to cover everything. Technically, I think I would define a story as AU when there's a moment (either definite or implied) when SOMETHING about the canon changes to allow an alternate set of circumstances (IE Qui-Gon doesn't die, Bail decides to take Luke instead of Leia) . I think an AR would somehow completely disregard all canon, if that makes sense, like alternate setting (IE Josiah Bartlet as Galactic Chancellor).

Ewok Poet, mavjade , Sith-I-5 and 3 others like this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks, everyone; this is all very helpful. :) I've been enjoying reading everyone's perspectives, and I'm learning some new terminology along the way (AR and wingfic are new to me). The distinction brought up by @Briannakin and @Tarsier sounds like a useful one: crack!fics have that element of the utterly absurd, as in, this situation would never actually happen in the universe in question—whereas a regular humorous story could conceivably happen within the universe. I agree too that it's probably best to reserve the label "crack!fic" for stories that have already been so labeled by their authors. All this said—I've also come across stories that are kind of in between the two, too, so I guess there's an element of "mileage may vary" to it too!

mavjade , brodiew, pronker and 3 others like this.
  15. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ah fandom, such darn fun to explore - AO3 contained the wingfic by akathecentimetre in Ch. 15 of "Whose Light Doth Lighten All That Here We See" featuring Obi-Wan.O:)

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I have an idea for a fic where angst figures heavily. It is more an internal thought process/dialogue. What I am wanting to convey is complete helplessness, a desolation of the soul. This is not to say a person is turning evil or to the dark side; more he is so totally overwhelmed by a certain event that he is paralyzed with grief, fear, and denial. I have all the elements to include, but my attempts to put them into words doesn't match the level of emotional impact I wish to convey. Vague enough for you? [face_thinking] [face_whistling]:confused:

Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @brodiew - Did you ever get bullied at school?

If yes, draw on that.

brodiew likes this.
  18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Not overtly, but I never really was part of any one clique. more of an involuntary independent.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @brodiew -- maybe have him "talk" to himself as if he were talking to the source of the feelings like they're judging or accusing him but he's doing that to himself; or the person(s) he's grieving over -- he "tells" them what he wishes he had the chance to. Sorta unlocks the feelings by directing them "outward" although they're still internal.

Ewok Poet and brodiew like this.
  20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Good idea, Nyota. I like that. He is being condemned or encouraged by those whom he lost through either his own deed or those of others.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, weird conversation topic I know, but I'm comfortable talking about my menstrual cycle, so just move along if you aren't.

But does anyone (of the population this applies to) feel their writing (or lack there of) is affected by their period? Like, I just got back and I have so many ideas, both for my many (eight) WIP and for some new projects, but I feel like EVERYTHING I've tried to write over the past 3 days is just garbage. I want to write but everything I've tried to start is bad and everything I've tried to continue is bad. I feel as if my ideas are good in my head, but as soon as I try writing it out, I feel as if they are falling so very flat. I'm wondering if I'm just still tired, if my period is to blame, or if I'm just in a funk.

This is mostly just a rant because I'm fairly cranky right now.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think I've ever paid attention, but now I'm going to. But I could totally see it happening. Your hormones change and it messes with your brain causing things to just not be right.

Briannakin , Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have PCOS, PMDD and BPD *together* and they're the combo that will either yield extremely good results during the pre-menstrual phase and the cycle or nothing at all. Apparently, this month, it's the latter. I'm on the second day and my brain is like LOL NOW I AM GOING TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE ALL THE TIME. :_|:_|:_|

Findswoman likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Interesting question. I honestly haven't noticed any changes particularly related to my cycle—but then again I have a lot of other RL pile-up of one kind or another affecting my writing (and lack thereof) too—the whole full-time-working-mom thing, most notably—so it's not inconceivable that that could be one of the factors playing in.

Briannakin and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Maybe it's just been an odd coincidence this month, or one of the many factors right now between stress and recovering from exhaustion. Back when I was a teenager, I had pretty bad PMS that borderlined on PMDD and I took medication for it. Thankfully now that I'm older and the hormones have kinda calmed down, things (usually) aren't that bad, but this month (again, probably a combination of many factors) so much of the "nothing I do is working is is good enough " feelings are coming back up. Thankfully this month it is only confined to being directed at my writing and not life in general. I know I should just take a few days off and not subject myself to my own frustrations, but I also really want to write.

mavjade , Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.