main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don’t know why they chose Nakadia in the first place. I got the impression from Empire’s End that Quarrow was a much smaller city than Hanna City and the arrival of the senators and their entourages created a huge disruption that the city didn’t really have the infrastructure/resources for. Makes sense that after a year, the senators would be itching to get back to civilization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah... the decision for Nakadia truly makes zero sense. Then again, the New Republic at it's founding was borderline OBSESSED with looking different from the Old Republic and Empire, so choosing a small agricultural world fits the bill. Mon Mothma was an idealist (with a pragmatic soul), but I can see a lot of senators clamoring to get off Nakadia almost immediately.

--Adm. Nick

AV-6R7 and Daneira like this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    "They choose what they believe to be morally correct, instead of what is strategically sound." Thrawn on the Jedi, but likely reflecting his views on the New Republic too.

I love this line as it explains why Thrawn doesn't turn to the Republic/Jedi for help on Unknown Regions threat or Vong (depending on the canon). Thrawn knows what horrible threats are out there, and the New Republic is quibbling on a capital. In Legends, there was also a lot of fighting over what should be the capital (with Luke being mentioned in 'Heir to the Empire' as saying no to Coruscant and being overruled).

quinlan solo likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair - a Mid Rim world becoming capital of the galaxy is a big thing.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I don't see how the could move that frequently...I could see every 5 years and the host planet has to build the facilities.

6. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I could see them taking a vote on the matter every year, but deciding to stay put several years on a row.

Also, it could be something like the Olympics. A colossal waste of money for the host planet/country that has to pay to build the facilities out of their own pockets, but everyone still wants to get it because of the prestige.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  7. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Here's hoping that they do fix/retcon it.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, to be fair, those were presented as definitive, singular events when they happened. The rotating New Republic Capital has a continuity escape hatch "Yeah, we moved again in between this or that piece of Star Wars media that had it somewhere else". The only thing we know is that they vote every year to move the capital, not that they always definitively move it every year. Wheels of bureaucracy and all that.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    What is the source for annual votes on the capital? The visual dictionary for TFA?

--Adm. Nick

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Empire's End: "The capital city is Quarrow, and it’s where the Senate will be housed for the next year-cycle, and maybe more if the Senate votes to extend its stay."

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks, Daneira! That allows a lot of wiggle room. It doesn't mean that the Senate has to move every year, just that votes on the capital's location are held annually. I wouldn't be surprised if New Republic ends up moving far less than we first thought. Hell, I'd have little issue with Chandrila and Hosnian Prime being capital the bulk of the time between Endor and TFA, with a few other moves mixed in for shorter durations.

--Adm. Nick

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This is going to be a fun thread to read through after Ep. IX comes out and they start unloading post ROTJ stories on us.

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They will all be small scale stories though, since officially the NR is at peace for 30 years. I'm beginning to think that what Ezra/Thrawn/Sabine/Ahsoka do somewhere will end up taking up Luke's time for decades. He goes off exploring (possibly with R2 and 3PO), runs into Thrawn's evil scheme (disconnected from the rest of the galaxy) and spends decades fighting it (sort of like how the Outlander ran off and did his own thing with the Eternal Empire in the Old Republic MMO). Basically Thrawn Trilogy 2.0, canon version, that doesn't involve the New Republic.

Luke makes friends, maybe even romances canon Mara Jade, and finally defeats Thrawn in a Pyrrhic victory that leaves Ezra, Ahsoka, and all his friends dead, any love interests dead, and Luke returns to the NR alone. Luke believes his brutal, tragic experiences have made him stronger and decides it's time to rebuild the Jedi. But, as it often is with people who go through hardships in the real world, these experiences haven't made Luke stronger but in reality more unstable and he's just denying it--leading to his moment of weakness with Ben seen in 8.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm very hopeful that this fall's new animated series Star Wars: Resistance will provide us with some cool background on the New Republic in the years leading up to TFA. So we might have new information sooner than IX. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Havoc123 likes this.
  15. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'd really rather not see Thrawn Trilogy: Bootleg edition.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    while I doubt that would be what Resistance is, they do have a chance to take that storyline and make it better. ie no crazy jedi clone, force-be-gone lizards or luukes

17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The Thrawn Trilogy simply wouldn’t work in canon at all with the 30 years of peace after Jakku.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Unless the story takes place entirely in the unknown regions. Thrawn's out there somewhere, presumably with a fleet. If he came into contact with the Imperial Remnant/Early First Order, he might attempt to make a power play against Sloane for whatever territory the FO initially conquered. Thrawn would have been more familiar with that space after all. This conflict could be the catalyst for Snoke's eventual takeover. Food for thought.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  19. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Of probable interest to this thread: Jon Favreau apparently revealed at the Solo premiere last night that his new series will take place during this timeframe, seven years after ROTJ. Interesting!

Darth Caliban and Ghost like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It is interesting. Hopefully it means a new enemy, not Imperial remnants or early First Order.

21. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Turns out he actually said seven years after Yavin. Which is still after Endor and Jakku, just not as long after.

AusStig likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Presumably after Last Shot.

Or post-CE II in One Canon... pre-JAT.

... or just before X-Wing: Rogue Squadron in @Blackmyron’s concept...

PCCViking likes this.
  23. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Question: Nash Windrider's fleet remnant wasn't a part of the forces that Rax hand-picked to flee into the Unknown Regions, was it?

For some reason all this time I was under the impression that it was, but upon re-reading Lost Stars and the Aftermath trilogy it seems like he's doing his own thing. Unless I'm missing something.

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    He's under Grand Moff Rannd's command at the end of Lost Stars.

25. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Right, but it seems like that fleet was not part of the "Contingency fleet" that jumped to the Unknown Regions. According to Lost Stars' ending it almost reads like they are amassing for a counter-attack. Also, I know that the Imperialis jumped on it's own and that other remnants followed at a later point. I just didn't know if there was any source that shed more light on the Imperial assets that jumped into the UR.