main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you talked yourself out of five or six crazy ways to fix something, and then got whammied with the canon version of everything going to heck. (It's not my fault, then, if I go with something equally crazy... got it.)

Sith-I-5, Kyber Acyk and Ridley Solo like this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ...When you're posting in a forum thread titled 'You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...'

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you find a way to tie your current situation to fanfic, as a form of therapy. This is going to be fun. And there will be ABSURD. *snort*

YKYAFFWW TORGUTA WINS THE WHOLE THREAD ON PAGE 200. :D

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you spend time trying to find a list of Star Wars swear words so you can figure out what their equivalent is in English because you don't know if you should you 'kriff' in the situation because it's our equivalent of an 'f-bomb and it's a young child saying it and you're debating whether or not this child would know the word and figure they might being raised around soldiers and the reaction on the person she's yelling at face would be surprised but do I have more swear word choices before I drop such a powerful bomb? It sure would get her father out there and get her a dressing down for using such strong language but he still might show up because she's getting angry.

mavjade and Mistress_Renata like this.
  5. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    When you start ticking off the characters you have created as avatars and are working on creating a massive timeline for your fanon.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    . . . you want to scream because you can't seem to find a complete list of Star Wars swears and what they would roughly mean in English! *wails* And yes, I have already looked at the suggested sites here.

pronker, DaenaBenjen42 and Kyber Acyk like this.
  7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you write about characters who wear no clothes and cannot read, and you realize how much of your other writing featured clothing descriptions and literary references.[face_whistling]

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you wonder if there is shore leave in The Rebellion?

...when you are toying with doing an entire drabble series, 100 words and all, for new pairing with which your muse appears to be obsessed.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    ThisIsMe1138 and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when your muse is more interested in the next update for the story you have just updated, rather than the next fic on the updating rota.

Ewok Poet, pronker and Raissa Baiard like this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you admit curiosity over how other folks' muses look when yours looks like
    [​IMG]

PS May The Fourth Be With You!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you now wonder what your muse looks like.
    Thanks for that, @pronker!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Kyber Acyk and pronker like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ooohkay!

pronker likes this.
  13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    @pronker My muse is actually a moose. It slobbers inspiration. :p And I can relate to @Sith-I-5, too, because conversations with my moose muse go like:

Muse: So, we're going to write a bunch of mush and then do some drabbles about those new OCs...
    Me: But we haven't worked on this AU in months!
    Muse: What's your point?

Ewok Poet, mavjade , pronker and 3 others like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My moose muse: "You're going to write now!"

Me: "Look, shiny! I have an idea for this, this, this, this, this...."

My moose muse: no u

15. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    *I give up* Added a link to an image from pixabay with all "allowed for non commercial use" rights, but obviously pixabay had some linking block. [face_thinking] An hour later it just came up with a warning about "hot linking".

Thus, post deleted.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    pronker and Findswoman like this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Crosses pixabay off the list.

Thank you!

pronker likes this.
  17. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    Many of my conversations with my mixed heritage (Twi'lek/Mandalorian) muse go something like this -

Muse: "Hmmm, I see you have been neglecting the family canon a bit..."

Me: "Can I just get this batch of short stories fin - "

Muse: "No! We need to know what happens to the grandchildren, right now!"

Me: "...I could just sell you to a Hutt, you know that right?" *grumbles*

@pronker

18. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    When you keep seeing promos for Solo and thinking man I need to get working on story because it would fit perfectly with the new movie but I want to be there first.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you think, five updates in, well, if no-one is going to read your Dr Who fic anyway, that gives you the freedom to minimally pause the plot flow to engage in some "clothes horse" embellishments!

Cue 377 extra words, research into "what are those things that ladies get changed behind", and why scuba dresses are called that.

Which reminds me, I ought to go back and cite this research.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    pronker likes this.
  20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...Infinity War make you want to flesh out scene involving Tony Stark. Been a long time, Avengers.

Edit: ...when you have accompanying anxiety and doubt about getting said thoughts into a worthy form.

DaenaBenjen42, pronker and Sith-I-5 like this.
  21. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    ...when you finally decide to sit down and put your two history degrees to use to create a new character, and then think about why you did not do it beforehand.

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    <------- is listening to unabridged audio of Ron Chernow's new Grant biography. What historical figures are figuring into this new OC?

SiouxFan, mavjade and Kyber Acyk like this.
  23. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    I decided to finally create a Jedi Historian and I have cast her in the mold of some of my favourite military historians, such as Shelby Foote, who was passionate about the American Civil War :)

Findswoman , Ewok Poet and brodiew like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you're shocked that you were not on here for most of Saturday and all of Sunday and Monday. WTK! [face_thinking]8-}

25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you go to look up one word, and you end up reading the dictionary or the thesaurus for half an hour because it's so much fun. Heck, forget fanfic, that's how you know you're a writer. Of any kind. Or just a word nerd.