main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    ...I read your post twice and saw "Zoidberg" both times, and racked my brains trying to remember such a scene. Maybe I don't have any brains to rack. [face_blush]

Y'all pick up anything fun on Free Comic Book Day? Getting into anything new to you?

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was working hard as a volunteer on 'Stockholm's International Comics Festival' during the weekend, so I did not have time for that. On the other hand there was a lot of stuff that I brought or was gifted (one of the perks of being a volunteer) there:
    Prins Valiant, album 1-19
    Lanfeust från Troy, album 7 & 8
    Gaston, album 14 (Swedish translation, don't know if it's the same as the French album 14)
    Pocket Fantasy by Valentin Seiche
    Penguin Rumble by Joakim Waller (signed)
    Serienördens trädgårdsbok
    Martilo och helgonet
    Yoko Tsuno: De gåtfulla robotarna
    THB
    Sons of Anarchy vol. 2 (Swedish translation)
    Food Stuff part 1 & 2 by Marcus Jernberger
    Snoopy Parade
    Beer, brewing & bastards: Herman Hednings brutalkompletta seriebiblel om ÖL
    Herman Hedning: Svammelsurium
    (collecting all strips from 1998-2001 in one nice hardback)
    hajime from Tokyo Collective (signed by Julia Nascimento, non of the other six artists were there)
    look book (signed by Sam Frisk, Tove Ottosson and Ellinor Richey but not Emma-Lisa Henriksson, well three out of four is not that bad)
    Harajuku dreaming' (signed by Ellinor Richey)

Not comics but found it's way to my bag:
    Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy (VHS)
    Faster Pussycat... Kill... Kill! (VHS)
    Herman Hedning flasköppnare 2.0 (a bottle-opener)
    Fantomen 2018 wall-almanac

My only real regret is that I did not get the time to buy vol. 1 of 北欧女子オーサが見つけた日本の不思議 and get it signed by Åsa Ekström

Now I just need to get the time to read everything :(

Senpezeco likes this.
  3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Can I just say I'm loving this year's Met Gala outfits? The theme was "Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination", which just makes everyone look like they're straight out of Coruscant or Canto Bight.

[​IMG]

Paging @GrandAdmiralJello, look at these fancy hats!

[​IMG]

All bow down to Imperial Advisor Rihanna

4. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Eh, they did a poor job with the theme.

Explanation, and then a bunch of mocked up 'metsonas' that do the theme better.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow those metsonas really look like they could be in Star Wars.

Gamiel and Vthuil like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep, I saw the red carpet last night. Most of the outfits were thoroughly disappointing -- both for failure of imagination and failure to be on theme. There were some exceptions. In general, the safe outfits were almost pointless (and all the men just wearing tuxedos just make me sad -- they could be a little more creative).

That said, I don't mind the halo spired hats. They remind me of medieval frescos well enough. The endless variations of Joan de Arc got tiresome, but Zendaya's was at least cool. Janelle Monáe had a pretty cool chainmail coif + halo hat outfit.

I don't have any artistic skills so I can't draw a Metsona, but I'd have probably tried to either do something based on one of the random early Christian heresies, an ecumenical council, or iconoclasm. That could've been really fun.

Also, I don't know why the hell Donald Glover missed the perfect opportunity to dress as Pope Lando. The synergy will NEVER again be this perfect.

Gamiel, MercenaryAce and Daneira like this.
  7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Donald Glover would never dare to dress as Pope Lando. Lando Calrissian is far too busy on the Looooooooove Commander to be celibate.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Celibate pope, that's a good one.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This conversation has already gone on far longer than I could have possibly believed, but the Pope Lando reference was nice.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I have considerably more to say on the gala and you full well believe it.

Vthuil and jSarek like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Let me rephrase that: I could not have possibly believed there was a second person besides Jello on Lit willing to talk about fashion gala stuff for this long.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    A coworker was showing me some pictures earlier today. Most of the designs were bleh, but a few would make for good outfits in the new Dune movie.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was there any church-window dresses like the one from Jean Paul Gaultier Couture Spring/Summer 2007 Show?

[​IMG]

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    to continue with the Met Gala outfits

17. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I didn't spot anything that made me think of stained glass windows, no. Maybe Gigi Hadid's Versace dress, vaguely, but to me it looks more like the scales of a butterfly's wings: (spoilered for size)

[​IMG]

I like relics and reliquaries, so I appreciate that some dressed in a way that recalled heavily jeweled relics*, but I didn't care for the execution of most of them.

I guess my favorite look was Lana Del Rey's, purely for how much her Seven Sorrows of Mary chestplate stood out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otherwise I was very underwhelmed this year.

*Speaking of which, here are some exceptional examples photographed by Paul Koudounaris.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Apicius isn't "recently discovered" lol. I hate the falseness that always peppers these kind of stories just to make them more exciting.

It can be a neat story without them trying to mislead people.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I love Darth Malak's outfit for a night at the Coruscant Opera.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, the Unicron of US SF TV, SyFy, has dropped The Expanse.

Bastards.

darthcaedus1138 and Kylun like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And Fox dropped Brooklyn 99. :mad:

22. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I can't even. I've been a fan since day one and as happy as I am for these five seasons we've had, it still had some gas in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I only started earlier this year, but it was a sheer delight marathoning the first 4 seasons. I am outraged it's being cancelled just as I can finally follow on live TV.

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    You've never experienced the summer of wondering "how are they going to pull this off" and now you might be stuck with the biggest cliffhanger of all. :(

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And Lucifer's toast.

Right! Now there's going to be hell to pay....