main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #44-49: Mutiny at Mon Cala (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Not the first time they've shown up in Canon (Poe Dameron 7 got there first). My headcanon is that these Rakatans are from an offshoot that didn't lose their Force sensitivity 25,000-odd years ago because they had isolated themselves from the Infinite Empire and began to work on changing aspects of themselves. They have likely only become inhabitants of Rakata Prime and Galactic Republic citizens since c. 1000 BBY.

2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I also thought #47 was nothing special, but I'll list the things I enjoyed:

Entertaining bits of writing:
    • Tunga-as-Hubi ad-libbing with Threepio at his shoulder. "We've got many more. Dozens!" "It's boring. The mollusk harvest is very boring."

• Chewie repeatedly grabbing and shoving Hubi's head in front of the biosignature scanners. I like to imagine it makes the same 'bip' as passing an item through a supermarket checkout. "Landing clearance." -bip- "Docking bay doors." -bip- "Cell doors." -bip-

• Chewie shaking himself dry like a dog. Man, imagine how much more a Wookiee weighs when soaking wet.
    Art:
    • I did not notice any of the weird, incongruous facial colorings in this issue! I could read the characters' expressions at a glance without becoming distracted by the faces themselves. Please, stay this way...

• I think the nicest art was on the Opee sea killer and the shots of the opera performance.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Predicition:
    Master Barr is the responsible one for the maiming of Lee-Char. He's already fallen to the dark side and probably lashes out at the king in desperation. Will subvert most people's expectations.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    100% agree. This is the first time I actually laughed out loud reading one of these comics concerning your entertaining bit #3. Surprisingly enjoyable middle arc issue.

5. Sly442

Sly442 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2018
    I love that you didn't say "that would be interesting" or anything but just said that it will subvert expectations.

Wouldn't the Empire have been happy to spread that story around? If that were the case I would have liked to have seen some hint of reservations against Jedi by the Mon Cala people or something.

6. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I really hope Lee Char survives... that was heartbreaking to read. :(

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You know, Master Barr is a Jedi. He couldn't lash out at anyone, it's not in his character.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    It's not unprecedented in canon, with Pong Krell and all.

9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Ferren Barr is a political idealist. Not a murderer.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I was thinking in the context of Jack's prediction.

11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The Jedi use their power for....nope I'm all out of movie quotes here.

But seriously, I doubt Barr will go to the Dark Side. He's just a bit cunning, that's all. This series has done a good job of showing use different types of Jedi with different strengths and weaknesses.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hellova twist and the issue was happily very Threepio centric with lots of monsters. I approve heartily.

Voltron64 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #48 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    This issue was better. The art is what it is, but a bit less jarring at parts. A few predictable twists and turns, but the next issue promises to be interesting. Nice seeing some of the Mon Cala fleet again, at a few new ships pictures (in addition to the familiar ones we all know).

--Adm. Nick

15. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yet again it seems like he has drawn a Rakatan instead of a Mon Calamari and this time it isn't even in the backround . There's 2 full panels focusing on it [face_plain]

16. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Isn't it possible that WAS a Rakatan? There were Twi-Leks and other aliens, so I don't see why we should assume that was supposed to be a Mon Calamari.

17. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Well if that was a Rakatan, I guess the history of their species is being rewritten. As a Legends fanboy I find it difficult to believe a Rakatan survived the extinction of it's race, let alone end up on Mon Cala. :p

18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  19. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Look like a distinctly different species to me

20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Mon Cal Droideka?

Faces slightly less creepy, but sometimes in the battle scenes the characters pointing guns literally appear to be posed Kenner action figures. Cool story, although it moved a little faster than I'd expected. Maybe to get the cliffhanger to land at the right time. Storywise, still looking forward to the next one.

21. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I found the ending to be very powerful, Leechar's death was not what I was expecting, but at least he died giving his people the message that they should be free.

22. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Did Larroca mistake a Rakata for a Mon Calamari when searching for tracing materials?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    KikReask and DarthTalgus like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    So, we now have artists who can't tell a Rakata from a Mon Cal. And nobody bats an eye. It's not like the anatomical differences aren't big enough. [face_not_talking]

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You would hope the Rebellion would have transmitted that last broadcast to the wider galaxy. Imagine the propaganda coup it would be.