main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Thanks for the help! They all show up which is good.

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_love]@};-@};-@};- Spring flower bouquets to whoever created or restored the ability to "edit, delete, report" one's status on a profile. Reading backwards five years to those old "clever" statuses is downright embarrassing.[face_blush]

3. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Why does Safari say that Login into this website is not secure?

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Firefox does also, and possibly other browsers as well. It's a stock warning issued on any webpage containing a password field with a URL beginning with "http://" (like this site) instead of "https://". The latter means your connection to the site is encrypted, eliminating (for all intents and purposes) the risk of a "man in the middle" listening in on the connection. The former carries a (slim) risk of such a man-in-the-middle attack, meaning that data transmitted over such a connection (such as login info) could be read by an attacker.

Being a stock warning, it's not something to be overly concerned about, but I would recommend that you ensure that the password you use here is not also used for anything sensitive like banking, especially if that sensitive login uses the same username or email address.

I'll also use this opportunity to recommend once again to the site owners that they set up HTTPS (and preferably HTTPS-only, not in parallel with HTTP), because there isn't really a sound reason not to.

Tarsier and pronker like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The site keeps logging me out for some reason.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Are you ticking the 'keep me logged in' box when you sign in? If so, are you accessing the site on multiple devices (or in multiple browsers) without logging out on each?

7. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    Not a question, but kind of an issue. Actually, its more of a suggestion. During the next update, maybe can we get a permanent editing button, instead of the one that lasts for a day. There are some links and images that are broken in several of my posts that I would really like to fix. I know there are several users on here who would like to do the same.

pronker likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That's a setting already available to the admins, and can be set on a per-forum basis. Most forums have it set between 30 and 90 minutes, and I'm sure there is a reason for that (though I don't know precisely what that reason is). Role Playing Resource and all of the fanfic forums have unlimited editing, due to the nature of those forums.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The 30-90 minute edit time is so that users can't go back and edit older posts (and possibly add material against our TOS).

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014
    Why?

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess it's to prevent post edit trolling. But if mods can see edits, then it seems like overkill.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If a user edits a post to add something against the TOS it doesn't pop the thread up as having new posts. But with a narrow edit window chances are a mod or other user will still see the change in the thread and either deal with it or report it. Go back a few days in a fast moving forum (like New Films or Community) and the change might not be spotted.

JediMaster_Jen, pronker and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Is there any plans to fix the offline / online statuses?

Jedi Knight Fett and pronker like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would also be interested in this. I have searched around and it does not seem to be anywhere. Perhaps it was removed in the last update?

pronker likes this.
  15. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Why can’t we have separate forums for each individual film instead of trilogies being lobbed together? Isn’t that what the saga forum is for? Discussion of multiple films in one.

16. lilforceghost

lilforceghost Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2018
    Hep me.. Lol

I can't figure out how to get my avatar back. I tried to upload all sorts of files/sizes and I've gotten nowhere. It let me delete it of course so now I'm stuck. I've also tried logging in and out too. :) Thanks.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you hover your cursor over your name on the upper right hand side you should see a section for Avatar. Tick 'use custom avatar' and there is a place to put the filename to upload. (I'm on a PC so if you are on a phone this might not work).

LilRebelArt likes this.
  18. lilforceghost

lilforceghost Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2018
    I tried that, but when I do and hit upload nothing happens. I've tried it on several different browsers. I'm not sure what's going on. Lol I've also tried different files, sizes, etc. Somehow it just started working. I wonder if it was something with the site. Who knows.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Have you tried renaming the file name of your avatar? If it is the same as the one before, that might conflict with the one from before.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    pronker likes this.
  20. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    This isn't really a technical question, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread. I'm wondering if it's possible to find out what happened to a couple of members here. I'm assuming they deactivated their account because when I click on either of their avatars it doesn't give the option to start a conversation with them. Whereas for most other members, it does. Also, on one of them, even trying to go to the profile page comes up completely blank.

It's not a big deal or anything, and I'm not trying to pry into anyone else's business. I just happened to randomly think of them and notice that they haven't been around when I've gone to certain sections of the forum that they had also been active in. I'm just curious and want to say what's up, since I did interact with them on numerous occasions. But it doesn't seem like there is any way to do that other than private message them directly. Because I also don't want to go all over the forum asking about specific members either, even though their usernames would probably be recognized by a decent amount of people here.

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Profile pages used to become inaccessible when the user was banned. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

As for the lack of a PM option, users can restrict sending them new PM conversations except from people they follow HERE.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I believe profile pages are still not accessible to regular users if the user has been permabanned. They can still be seen by mod staff, however.

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Gotcha. I hadn't even consider they might have been banned. I highly doubt that's the case with the users in particular that I'm referring to. They never seemed like the type who would get banned, especially a permanent ban. But it's possible.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you PM me one of the user names whose profile you can't see I can take a look to see if there's a problem with it.