main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While comics sometimes have inconsistent rank insignia, I see here that Thrawn has 2 cylinders and a 3x2 plack as Commander (consistent with Igar in ROTJ) and is given a 4x2 plack when promoted to Commodore.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Someone's been doing his homework. I'll never cease over Luke Ross' work.

tatooinesandworm and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The fact that he actually went back to the original Mist Encounter and SOTE art for references in issue 1 is pretty great.

He's one of the few Marvel people so far who also did work on the Dark Horse era comics.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest 4 of 6 please

And now 6 by 2 now that Thrawn is Admiral. I'd have to re-watch Rebels to see if it matches, but I've never paid attention unless it's pointed out. Like those things that look like little pens that they carry, but it's their different clearances to different areas as illustrated in Rebels.

I love the one page where he finally gets the Chimaera. I always thought that Thrawn was the one who customized his Star Destroyer but it feels like in the comic it was given to him as is. Who did it belong to before him?

Also on that page is a series of events without explanation behind them, where there appears to be wookiees. Is there more detail in the novel concerning that battle or battles that result in his promotion yet again?

It was cool having Admiral Konstantine's name mentioned and the threats on Lothal. I'm guessing the comic is very close to the events of Rebels Season 1 maybe?

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. There are a lot of events that happen in the novel in between, but it's only a 5-part miniseries... Hence that page. the part with the Wookiees refers to this and this.

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I felt the splash page may have been breezing over some events of the novel, which is fine, cuz it's a great splash page (although it's going to bother me if Thrawn tricked out the insignia on the Chamiera or it came as is). Thrawn ruthlessly outsmarting people seems like it could get old but I still find it entertaining 4 issues in. Especially the space alien who fruitlessly said he'd file a complaint, knowing it was pointless.

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    1) Is this comic adaptation of Thrawn saying all these events are now canon?

2) Disney is putting the money behind this comic adaptation for what purpose? To me, it would have definitely been more beneficial to Rebels if this comic was released before the show ended to enhance our view of Thrawn. (Personally I have not read the novel this is based off of). So since it's not promoting a now ended show, and we know he's probably still out there somewhere, when is the next time we'll see him?

a) Star Wars Resistance
    b) Rian Johnson's trilogy
    c) Benioff and Weiss's series of movies
    d) Jon Favreau's live action tv show

2e) I'm not sure when the Thrawn novel takes place, but maybe we'll see him again in a sequel to that novel or a new Thrawn comic series?

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    To your first point, the novel version is already canon, so the comic is just a different medium of the same events. Nothing new is being added to the canon that the book didn't do already. The next Thrawn book, Thrawn Alliances, takes place between seasons 3 and 4 of Rebels. Not sure why the comic needs to promote anything - it's Thrawn, people like him, people will buy!

revan772 likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Sure, but since Disney is doing one cohesive canon, and especially after certain events that happen in Solo, there appears to be a method to their madness. It's very similar to back in the 80s with the Transformers line where they did comics, toys, the TV show, and the movie. So I'm looking for/wondering if there was more of a reason than, "hey people like him, people will buy". If Disney created things because the fans wanted it then Gargoyles, Chip & Dale, and Gummi Bears would have comics right now.

10. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Well I have bought two different Chip and Dale sets of figures just this year. So they are getting money from them.

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    By the time this comic finishes, it'll be right around the time the new Thrawn novel comes out. So if anything it's promoting that.

BigAl6ft6, Outsourced, Vialco and 2 others like this.
  13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I just got caught up on the series and I was wondering what's up with Cygni's tattoos? Any meaning? I can't recall them mentioned in the novel.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest 5/6 released

This issue definitely felt like more of a setup for the finale. Not much happened that made sense to me. Thrawn is playing the long con and the payoff is definitely coming.

15. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    One small detail they changed was...

...the scene where Eli dresses up as a fake Imperial.

In the book Thrawn takes off his own tunic, shoots a hole into it and hands it to Eli. He does not have a spare white uniform lying around.

Pity they changed it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oooh I thought this was only 5 issues, awesome

17. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    [face_hypnotized] This variant cover for issue #6 is superb:

[​IMG]

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Awww poor Arihnda, before she succumbed to the dark side eternally.

I like how the artist managed to get the tragedy of Pryce's family, the final Batonn bombardment, and Thrawn's parting with Eli all at once, and yet half the cover is still Thrawn's handsome mug.:p

Daneira likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Pretty sure that's Nightswan, not Eli (note the epic sideburns).

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Nightswan's design is so...interesting. I'd be lying if I said I didn't read his dialogue in Del Preston's voice.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    That's the thing, though, Batonn (at least the resident part) was not bombarded...

BIG SPOILER:

In the book Thrawn goes out of his way to disable the rebels on the island with as little force as possible (to rescue the hostages) and does not bombard the shielded mining settlement. That is all Pryce - she blows the thing up willingly with the shield still intact, inflicting maximum casualties just to erase any trace if her dirty deeds.

I would be very disappointed if they changed the story and muted her involvement.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I don't think they'd risk the headache with the fandom if they did that. Usually the comics add stuff rather than outright alter scenes.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Decent setup issue for the finale, it's odd to see Pryce have, like, emotional attachments to stuff. Good odd, though, cuz this is a very nasty, mean lady who killed our precious Kanan so I'm kinda weirded out feeling emotional sympathy for her. But Thrawn still be Thrawn-ing the whole time, even his odd ship setup which you know is some big master plan but it even threw Eli for a loop (although why would he even doubt Thrawn now after years?). Also another shout-out to the mysterious Anakin Skywalker / Thrawn clone wars era teamup! Which makes me wonder if Allegiances is due for a comic adaptation like this one, cuz if they aren't going to do it then it could have been cut from the comic and I can't see it paying off in issue #6.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    When does the Trade Digital Issue for this come out? I want to buy it, but I'd rather buy all five issues as a single set.

25. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    The physical copy of the TPB releases September 11, 2018, so the digital copy should be available on the same day right? I only purchase physical copies so I'm not certain, but I can't see the digital copy coming out later.