main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think the 2.0 upgrade will make all the key upgrades available with the ships they naturally pair with, either as built-in features (like S-Foils for the T-65 and Advanced Targeting Computer for the TIE Advanced) or as included upgrades. 2.0 should, hopefully, right a lot of wrongs, and will reward new players and guys like me, who didn't buy EVERYTHING as it came out. This will be my first time having A-Wings, for example.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So... when is my next best chance for FFG to announce a new Armada wave? Any thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    A little while yet. It'll be X-Wing 2.0 and Legion dominating headlines. The latest IA stuff is announced so there will be articles around release time for those; the RPG is still going off the implications brought about by DoR. Armada will probably have to wait in line for the spotlight behind the new kid and the old kid.

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I just did a quick search online- Wave VI was announced in March 2017 and Wave VII in July 2017.

That gives me hope for at least one wave in the Summer, timed to hit the shelves around Christmas time.

Anyways, that's my hope!

--Adm. Nick

kalzeth likes this.
  5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Hey, so I have been playing x-wing for a while, but have wanted to move onto another game too. (Especially since I cannot afford to convert to xwing 2.0 right now, would rather use money on another game.) Are there any games where you can have actual characters instead of ships, and preferably has a role-play aspect to it? Bonus points if Ahsoka is involved.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Imperial Assault. Regretfully the one-dimensional Ahsoka is involved, but can only be deployed as an ally in campaign mode, or as part of a skirmish warband in Skirmish mode.

Campaign mode: You pick one of the heroes from the game, and complete the campaigns in each box set. Success or failure, relative to the objectives, has different implications. You level the character's gear and abilities up as you go.

Skirmish: Literally just building warbands and fighting on the maps.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    revan772 likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  8. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    This looks so amazing. I am definitely getting this after I save up a bit. May bite the bullet on Ahsoka, I always want as much merch of her as I can get my hands on!

Jedi Princess likes this.
  9. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I have only played Imperial Assault once, but it is SO much fun.

revan772 likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't stand her. Vapid, vacuous character who started on the wrong foot ("Skyguy"?) and stayed there with me.

But, in the game, if you're a fan? She's very solid in skirmish mode. You cannot play her as a hero in the game, because she can't be levelled up and it's not that sort of boardgame. But if you do play skirmish, then you get some solid powers:

[​IMG]

Two advantage means you get +2dmg and +3 pierce. The blue/green are less advantage heavy than the yellow dice, so it won't happen as often but she has a white die for defence and that's, on 1 in 6 odds, a great de

revan772 likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  12. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Legion and Imperial Assault both look so good. I will probably try to get into Imperial Assault first, but my friend just got into Legion and it looks way too fun to pass up on.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you have a background in tabletop wargaming, i.e. Warhammer?

14. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    Unfortunately not. I have really only played x-wing, and d&d. I also went ahead and ordered IA, I figured I could play a few games of it with some friends. As for Legions, I know it is a Warhammer type game, and one of my friends recently got that and invited me to play it with him sometime. So luckily I will get to try both soon. :)

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Legion will be expensive as a hobby, and if there's no local community you might find it hard to get games. Check your FLGS for groups.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I've been perusing the FFG forums for Armada. Seems like alot of fans were pissed by the lack of announcement and are accusing FFG of making hype only to then focus it on X-Wing. Are their feelings justified, or is it just a case of fans wanting more and being irritated that they didn't get it?

--Adm. Nick

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's the fans. FFG aren't a huge company, and they've not made mistakes in their output. So, it would be fair to say they've not really burned fans in anything they've done. But fans always upend tables in rage if they don't get what they want. Armada is probably not as big a seller as X-Wing. It's not a new product like Legion, which has to recover the upfront investments FFG made. So it's not going to be top priority for now.

You've no doubt seen the video or a gif from it of the magic player losing his ****? Yeah, just remember, as an outcast hobby we have a lot of people who don't have a lot of human experience to draw upon and often react badly to setbacks. :D

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]
    Exhibit B:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Man you wouldn't want to flip a table with Armada models on it, those things are expensive! And you'd probably break the X-wing models...

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the guy in those gifs is a YouTube comedian and it's an exaggeration of nerd reactions, but yes. Flipping any FFG models is expensive and dangerous.

To give you perspective though, some people were angry at FFG for doing the reprint 30th anniversary edition of the WEG game because it was "taking resources away from the EOTE/AOR/FaD lines". Even though it had no new gaming content.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    TheRedBlade and Jedi Princess like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I protect my Armada ships like they were my children. I've spent (calculates amount, eyes widen, passes out)...

Wait, what were we talking about? :p

--Adm. Nick

22. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I really want to get into Legion but there just aren't players of anything Star Wars in my area. My wife plays destiny and Imperial Assault but has no interest in Legion (or x-wing or Armada) so it would be a stupid investment on my part. I suppose I should be happy that I am saving money.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Also, flipping a table in a gamestore, even not during a tournament, is an easy path to getting permanently banned from the store - a fate worse than death.

I wish FFG would say something new about the RPG lines, though... :(

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    a lot of the devs did Realms of Terrinoth, and the assumption is that a Realms of Android is next. Meaning, the resources are on Genesys... :(

25. revan772

Aug 5, 2014
    I finally got Imperial Assault in, and played a couple games. I have a pretty good hang of it now, and am excited to actually start a campaign! We should be starting one tomorrow night, and I showed my fiancée how to be the Imperials (she likes being DM in these types of games) so luckily I can be a hero. I am having a lot of fun so far though, and am looking forward to getting more minis! Now I only need to learn how to paint them. :p

But for the two days I have had it and the two games I have played, I am loving it so much.