main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #26-31: The Awakening (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Apr 12, 2018.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    indeed, with two of the three new films past, any interaction between poe, finn, and rey is welcome. They are much better together.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Great issue, especially for the Nu-Big Three banter. Good continuity with the TFA novel and other sources, while still able to include new details. Nice to see new ships and speeders.

I wonder if we'll see Poe retrieving Black One from Yavin 4 next issue? It'd be nice to see his home, especially in this series... and maybe even Kes?

Also, where was Poe picking BB-8 up from before he arrived at Jakku? Is that a reference?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    1/6 released please and thank you

Yeah it was a nice issue, well drawn, with really no surprises or lack luster ones. I see that Finn ejected thanks to Poe, but he was still outside the wreckage, so I'm not 100% sure how that worked. I thought he woke up in the wreckage. I guess it's time to watch TFA again.

Regardless, it's nice to catch our breath, so to speak, after the battle of Crait, but I don't think this whole arc is going to be a TFA rehash. We already got 1/3 of the way. Next time looks like the assault on Takodana and then after that might d be the assault on Starkiller base so that should leave at least 3 issues to be some new material aka pre Episode IX material hopefully!

revan772 likes this.
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    If you mean Finn, he woke up well away from the wreckage (remember that first teaser shot of him popping up into frame amid dunes?) and ran over to the smoke over the dune. This issue reveals Poe rolled down the other side of the dune after bailing, so Finn didn't see him, and stayed there until nightfall.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm way behind on the series but just seeing the solicits for this arc and the upcoming one, I gotta wonder:

With the TFA and TLJ stories basically getting covered this year, are we looking at an end to this series soon? They're gonna run up against the Episode IX timeline roadblock eventually, even if IX doesn't pick up right after TLJ, it'll still be around a year ahead of IX's release date and long before any publishing or tie-in material starts launching.

Or has this already been addressed by TPTB and I missed it?

6. MarcelloF91

MarcelloF91 Jedi Knight

Jul 9, 2015
    I liked this issue a lot. It was nice to see the new trio together at last. The art was fine, but Unzueta's faces bother me sometimes. There's just something off about the often overly detailed faces. It also bothered me that Finn and Rey never smile, even when they're joking.
    I'm not sure if anything has been said, but I'm guessing it'll either end and be replaced with a different series or go further in the past. Although, that might also warrant a "new series" like Darth Vader. I can't see them doing much more than this post-TLJ.

7. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Soule has said before that the original plan was for the whole series to just be about the search for Tekka and that it was envisaged as taking less than 20 issues, but it was extended since it was well received. The current arc is 6 issues apparently (3 TFA recap, 3 Black Squadron during TLJ?) but I do wonder if it can keep going after 31 or not...

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It might be nice to see Shattered Empire 2.0 with Poe mentioning a Force Tree that his mom and dad planted which should peak the interest of Rey.

P.S. Is Chewie flying the ship by himself? Where is everyone else from the end of TLJ? Are they all up in the cockpit?

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    That's actually a shame. I feel like if they had specifically aimed to stick to that single storyline, and given themselves a short number of issues to do it in, that would have solved a lot of the problem of bloating and wheel-spinning that's been a problem with this series. As it is, their decision to suddenly extend and change the aim of the comic is very much reflected by the comic itself.

10. The Raddinator

Dec 18, 2017
    I sort of agree, except that weirdly I found the most padded and bloated stuff to be nearer the start, specifically in the first 13 issues. I really enjoyed a lot of the material we got after 14 (the single best issue of the series to date IMO); both the shorter arcs showing the Resistance doing more Resistance-y things and then the final arc with Tekka. For me it was that longer arc with Terex as a pirate captain which seemed dull and overlong.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall finding that arc (or at least part of it) feeling more important, since it involved Threepio’s droid spies and the origin of Han’s TFA troubles.

12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I hope they keep the series going after issue 31, but that's all dependent on whether there's a time skip after TLJ or not.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's less of whether or not there is a time skip and more of when they're willing to reveal whether or not there is a time skip. And considering that would require Marvel to know about that at least a month or two in advance to produce (and solicit) #32 in time... it strikes me as unlikely.

I mean, the script is finished and they supposed start filming in July. A theoretical #32 would probably ship sometime in Sept. Solicits for that issue would probably hit in June, which is before they start actually filming. The movie doesn't come out for another 15 months from when #32 would hit.

We knew almost nothing official about TLJ 15 months before it came out- the only reason we knew there was no time skip that far out was due to how obvious TFA's ending made it and how they filmed on the same island location when filming TFA. E9 wouldn't require that even if there is no time skip (they can just film on the Falcon, etc).

Dr. Steve Brule and RaptorMusic like this.
  14. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Really curious about Leia, since she is a major part of the Poe comics and there on the Falcon. How will she be handled here, given she will not be in IX?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My guess? Some kind of offscreen role in the movie (or a hologram or audio transmission supporting appearance) and leaving her to tie-in material (or even the novelization) to expand in her role during those events.

But, for the moment, speculation beyond that probably best suited for an E9 thread or forum.

16. The Raddinator

Dec 18, 2017
    Soule mentions in his notes for the issue on his site that we will see Leia in the frame story for this arc.

17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I have a bias towards this series I'll admit, but this latest issue is probably the only essential reading I would recommend to casual SW fans. It expands the world of the movies in the perfect way. Nothing too outlandish and ridiculous (see Vader), no rewrite of the characters (see Big 3 in pretty much anything), no profound adventure that should change characters but doesn't feel like it ever actually happened (the SW ongoing). This issue really feels like being shown unseen footage from the movies and I loved it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah having played both Lego Star Wars and read the TFA novelization, I'm pretty well informed on Poe's speeder bike Jakku misadventure I'm sure any discrepancies between TFA novel and The Awakening comic can be chalked up to Poe's storytelling. Lego Star Wars is the only one that has Poe attacking a horde of banditos after the the chase, though. But I was surprised that the issue just skipped over stuff that actually happened in TFA in just a splash page. Very well done but I would like to see Poe's reaction to Lor San Tekka's death a bit more cuz he's such a huge part of the first 27 issues of the book thematically. But that is a minor quibble. Also I love the framing device of Poe chatting with Rey and Finn on the Falcon, like when was the last time you read a story and were like "Oooh, I love when they get back to the narration framing device!" So that's unique. Also I dug the art in place, Poe of Arabia single panel after the chase and the look on Finn's face, which was probably just the artist sourcing it from a frame in the movies, but when Finn says "Maybe Rey is the best pilot in the galaxy" he looks kinda mindblown, ahahhahah, at least to me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This. For myself, I really can't see any harm resulting from an undefined time jump being confirmed, but they've been so secretive on the ST I suspect they'll keep quiet.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, especially since the marketing focus is on Solo right now (one of the reasons they no doubt held off on Solo ads/marketing when TLJ was in the spotlight).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's almost certainly got to be a skip from Han washing out as an Imperial and Han becoming something of an established smuggler. I'd imagined what we'd see is Han escaping with Chewie to a few years later, with Han and Chewie well into their partnership. It might still be that way if the structure is "Big job on Kessel comes back to haunt the crew who carried it out."

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The potential timeskip in question is regarding one between TLJ and Episode 9, not within Solo. ;)

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Poe is certainly either not thinking about the fact that his actions indirectly caused a lot of people to die on Crait so just not accepting it or not letting it get in the way of a good storytime.

I wonder if the announcement of the Resistance TV series is good or bad for this book's longevity. Maybe there will be another time skip here, but backwards into pre Search for Lor San Tekka / Resistance Season 1 instead of the post Last Jedi part we were thinking about. as far as I can remember, it goes Poe joins the Resistance in Before the Awakening and then issue #1 which I don't think is officially his first mission so maybe the Resistance TV show will be set in between BtA and Poe Dameron #1. (there's some wiggle room round there)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Must say, one tiny panel can truly be so moving.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  25. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Dang. Those Leia/Chewie panels are amazing. This is why I want to move forward. More stuff like that.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force