main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Jan 30, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have my tickets for Wednesday, May 23rd, 8:40pm. 2D of course.
    Tickets don't seem to be selling too well here; when I bought mine they had been out for a day, and only four seats were taken for that screening (excluding mine).

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    See - that's cool. I'd go see the movie with that kind of fun attached.

Which means, assuming they're telling the truth about their record-setting preorders, that there must be places that are just absolutely packed. I'd be genuinely curious to find out what's making some people flock to it in droves in some places, and not care less in others. This movie supposedly broke Black Panther's pre-sale record, and I was lucky enough to get tickets for that one right away, but when I wanted to see it again, I couldn't find an open showing for like two weeks. If this movie is doing better, why can I still find tickets to any showing so easily?

3. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ... word of mouth, and online reviews, I would say influenced theater-goers for Black Panther. Probably would be the same for "Solo". I don't deny the reports that there has been some major pre-order numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if some theaters may have over-allocated some of the showings for pre-orders. More than likely, some of the showings for pre-orders would be filled up closer to opening weekend. I almost missed the date for pre-ordering tickets myself.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It might have at least partially to do with how much the ticket release was advertised in advance in different locations. Here there was nothing. They didn't even post on the ticket website that the tickets would be available until the moment they were.
    A friend of mine - who is a pretty big Star Wars fan, but who avoids everything SW on the Internet for fear of being spoiled - didn't even know the film was coming out this month until I asked him if I should buy him a ticket as well. There seems to be very little advertisement in advance for Solo here. I imagine the tickets will sell pretty fast once posters start going up on bus stops - ususally about a week before release.
    Even Rogue One and The Last Jedi had plenty of tickets left by that time here (though not to this extent). TFA was sold out waaay earlier though, but that film was one of the most hyped of all time.

5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Interesting hypothesis - and come to think of it - I don't know that I've seen any Solo marketing here. I don't watch TV, but I haven't seen posters or anything else either.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've got my tix! I didn't see it advertised either, I only found out about it on Facebook...That AND I just assumed they would go availiable on the 4th...

Going Saturday 5/26 in the afternoon. I bought them May 4 in the morning. Haven't checked back, but already by then a third of that showing was already full! I'm expecting Solo will go pretty hot here in the Denver area...

I'm changing it up and going for 2D, not IMAX this time. I guess I'm just not in the mood to spend the $6-$7 more it would be over the $11 I'm already paying. With four kids now, I've become quite a stickler these days I guess...:p

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    TheYodaPagoda and B99 like this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  8. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Well, I am officially retreating here. Spoilers were thin on the ground for this one pretty much the whole way but it seems like the whole movie is out there now after the red carpet premiere. Have had two huge things spoiled for me (and neither thing was on a Star Wars board/site, so that particularly sucked), so I'll be limiting my internet time for the next week or so.

TheYodaPagoda, B99 and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    An article in today's paper says the early viewers have very positive reactions. Still no details.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah premiere 2 weeks before we can see it basically means duck and hide. all I'm seeing are headlines, though, and even if they're good headlines I don't want nothing to do with it. Bailed on the Star Wars show about 2 eps ago, was going to do it earlier but I had to see the Ron Howard interview / Arrested Development voiceover.

the fact we can still see the thread titles in the spoiler forums is very tragic and I may cry.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    DARTH_BELO and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  12. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    During this sort of 'season' I exclusively use a direct link into this particular forum. I don't even see the other pages. Out of sight, out of mind.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    I almost asked "what were they?" and then remembered where I was. [face_laugh] It's kinda liberating to not be interested in the movie - spoilers can't hurt me! Mwahahaha!

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  14. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm just a sucker for this kinda stuff. Disney and Lucasfilm must love my money. Hey, at least we enjoyed The Last Jedi? [face_party]

15. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    For sure - Last Jedi was my favorite, which I think makes it easier for me to pass on this one.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    1 week

TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ...but, who's counting?

18. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    *Raises hand*
    I can't say I have much to look forward to other than Star Wars. I said before, I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "3, sir."

B99 likes this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I should be excited.. But i'm not … :(

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I damn well am, somehow manged to avoid pretty much any spoilers aside from some few headlines here and there.

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Warning! The Anthology (Released Films) forum is being reorganized right now, with the Solo threads from the Spoilers Allowed forum being moved there. So if you want to stay spoiler free, AVOID THE ANTHOLOGY FORUM UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE FILM.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The complete lack of promotion for Solo here is baffling. The film is out tomorrow, and I have yet to even see a poster anywhere.

25. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    the movie theaters that I have been at have been promoting Solo with the standout cardboard setup with an empty seat next to Han, presumably for photo opportunities. So, the promotion has been there, but not aggressively, and I would chalk up the more subdued promotion to a packed Memorial Day weekend that would still have Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2, and possibly a few curious movie-goers for A Quiet Place or Disobedience.