main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Well you'll find out in a few weeks, but if it's false it's some kind of mass Disney-coordinated misinformation campaign because many have reported it by now.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It is, in any case, hilarious.

darthzac14, AusStig and sidv88 like this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    How does Jason Ward get invited to this stuff. Isn't he just a guy who runs a website out of his basement?

In any case their reaction probably signifies why the movie is getting overall really positive reviews but not great reviews. It's a fun movie but not all that deep. 20 years from now when they are selling their big box set of the 30 Star Wars movies released up to that point Solo probably won't end up being a necessary watch for those wanting to catch up on all the movies released up to that point.

4. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah very interesting that even Saunders and Ward - who are the most aggressive of the pro-TLJ group (and yes it's sad that this has a label) - are lukewarm on it. They say it's a great fun movie - awesome, sounds good to me. But they also have a lot of critiques about the depth of the movie.

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. It will probably still get an 80 plus critic score as very few (if any at all) have said it was a bad movie. I imagine it will probably prove to be pretty popular with the general audience if it is indeed as fun of a movie as they are saying.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's sad because this movie should have a lot of depth and warmth. About how Han finds his humanity despite being an Imperial officer and frees Chewie from the brutality of slavery and Chewie becomes a lifelong friend. How Han basically gave up a prestigious military career due to his seeing the Empire's brutal slave policy, and was forced into the underworld. But from what I've read this is basically glossed over, it's not even freeing Chewie from slavery anymore but a common prison break of convenience. :(

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    cookeycat and SwordoftheMorning like this.
  7. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Filoni kind of gave the impression during his interview with Andi at the premiere that he had a hand in Solo, so I wouldn't rule out that this was done with his support.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed. The more interested I am getting in certain plot points, the more I wanna avoid spoilers.

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    we probably need to wait to see the movie to judge how well the Han/Chewie deal turns out. A lot of people have been saying that is one of the highlights of the movie

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well they get invited through a good combination of networking with people in Lucasfilm and running what is considered one of the more credible Spoiler sights on the Internet :p Big names like Collider mention them and that makes them internet famous. Plus Steele has been on the Collider show before. So I can see him being kinda part of the "The Elite" if we want to use such terms.

Jason Ward had a tweet the day after the premier, I don't know how to do that copy and paste thing of tweets so I'll just quote it and put a spoiler warning over it.

Woke up after last night & the first thing I thought was “Solo was such a fun movie, I need to see it again right now.” It felt like a movie for the fans & that’s not a bad thing. It doesn’t challenge the audience like “Last Jedi,” it takes us to hang out with Han [freaking] Solo.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think its good for movies to challenge an audience.

But there's something to be said for a movie that's just fun. Hardcore Henry isn't an intellectual masterpiece, but GOD IT IS FUN.

Xander Vos likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    @Jid123Sheeve I guess. I can see someone like Steele Saunders getting invited because I think he is a professional comedian who also does shows about Star Wars and interviews people in the business.

However inviting someone like Jason Ward to these things whose biggest claim to fame is running a spoiler site isn't going to do anything but convince even more jokers to go on YouTube or create their own website and start spreading rumors around.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    tatooinesandworm and Xander Vos like this.
  13. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Especially because I doubt any blogger/reviewers who hated TLJ got invited. Whether it is a factor or not, people will begin to think that positive reviews from guys like Ward/Steele are motivated by invites to future movies.

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Any proof for that?

15. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Proof is in the people who have reviewed Solo already?

Did any of them have negative reviews of TLJ? None that I've seen.

16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    A lack of evidence is not evidence of a lack. You need to actually prove that the people that attended all supported TLJ.

my kind of scum likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well THIS conversation sure seems like exactly what this thread needs. I'm outta here. (Though admittedly it sounds like enough spoilers are dropping that it's a good call anyway).

starfish and The Positive Fan like this.
  18. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Huh?

Have I been rude to you somewhere? You seem to follow me thread to thread and aggressively attack my posts.

I was making a general point about the concerning nature of inviting fan reviewers to these events that can impact on them or their audience.

19. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I'm out of here too. Some people can't help themselves.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Ok, that's fair. It's just frustrating going on Twitter and on here and seeing the typical "Disney is buying reviewers" and "These people liked TLJ so they can't be trusted" rhetoric. You don't deserve my ire for just bringing up a point about fan sites, and you have my apologies.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    connor413 likes this.
  21. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    My point was actually that the worry is that perception, I wasn't suggesting that's what they were doing.

By inviting fan reviewers, it will make people challenge and doubt their reviews because they'll think Disney is bribing them with invites to the new movies. Personally I think it's ridiculous to suggest that (that Disney is consciously trying to 'buy' reviews) but given their attitude towards the 'haters' of TLJ, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they are inviting a select group. The fact that some of this group are giving lacklustre reviews of Solo is "good" to see though - in that it should make those online accusing them of being shills shut up.

Outsourced likes this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think it's a no-win situation with people who constantly try to disregard reviews as 'bought'. Given that most critics gave TLJ positive reviews sending invites to fan could be seen as them giving the fans a voice in the initial reaction. Instead it's seen seen as them trying to 'buy' reviews. At the end of day its about people who, for some reason, don't like it when their opinion of a film goes against the majority. It should be fine to disagree with the majority without decrying it as being 'bought'.

23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    And that's why I think hopefully that view will go away as the reviews for Solo have been mixed.

I do agree it's a no-win situation though.

24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I feel like the people that have this mindset won't really be changed either way. Even with mixed views, a lot of people are still bitter about The Last Jedi, and that's already coming through with Solo.

People will always find things to help justify their existing beliefs, no matter how much sense it really makes. And that makes me kind of sad.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    can't wait to see this movie. I'm more excited then ever been. I've got god feeling about this.