main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Mandalorian (Jon Favreau SW Live Action show) - Now featuring former Man in DeLorean

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I think this show will probably set up an entire new war/conflict that doesn't include the empire.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Martth'ra Nuruodo

Xander Vos, BigAl6ft6, spicer and 2 others like this.
  3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You had one job, Dan Casey! One job!! [face_laugh] Seven years after Yavin places the series more or less contemporaneous with, oddly enough, the "present day" sections of Last Shot. I wonder how much knowledge Story Group had about Favreau's scripts at the time they reviewed DJO's book, and to what degree they were able to coordinate anything between the two.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I had completely forgotten about Babylon 5! Thanks for reminding me. Yes, the "everything is canon, even spinoff material" philosophy, announced up-front by JMS as I recall, was pretty groundbreaking at the time. I ended up not watching or following B5 so I have no idea how well they actually followed through on that promise, but I loved the idea of it. (Trek's spinoff material was all openly non-canon, while SW had no simultaneous films or TV material to coordinate with at the time.)

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, they followed through on it to a good degree.

There were plans for a film, so on one plot, the books tiptoed around that but still resolved what happened with the telepaths. Another couple went into back story and the big one was resolving the Centauri arc all the way to 18-odd years later.

Sadly, B5's cast has been cursed with a hell of a lot of deaths, which started earlier than anyone expected, so the film never happened, with the plot for it being one of the great untold stories.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So it’s even closer after ROTJ. Really intrigued by this.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. Basically if it is 7 years after Yavin instead of after Endor (that was originally reported I believe). That means in 5ABY was the Battle of Jakku. 6ABY is when that novel Last Shot takes place. And then this show in 7ABY.

I'm really kind of surprised they didn't just wait to give us the Battle of Jakku on a series like this. Maybe doing something like that would have been a little too expensive for a tv budget.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Even I wouldn't credit them with this much interconnectedness, but it does occur to me that Magernon's Amnesty would be a neat premise for a season of Star Wars TV.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What could be interesting is doing a story set on a planet that actually has different, multiple environments! You know, like an actual planet.

SF TV has done ice, desert etc only planets for decades, everyone's bored rigid by that now but actual variance in environments on a single globe? Or an entire system of? Be one way for it to stand out

kalzeth and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Could be interesting, empire’s end sets up a few different factions at the end, if memory serves isn’t one of them a renewed separatist alliance?

kalzeth likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't so much announced up-front as implemented shortly into the series run. There was an initial series of standalone books which are not considered canon, as they were made without JMS's involvement/oversight.

But JMS wasn't satisfied with that so that shifted into 2 canon books (one was written by JMS's wife, so it definitely had to be canon, lol) towards the end of that series (they were later reprinted on their own). The subsequent three trilogies and 3 novelizations (of TV movies) were then handled as absolute canon (elements/scenes from those books were even later filmed in the Crusade spin-off series). And, of course, JMS is prolific as a comics writer, so his contributions there also connect well.

Also- totally check out the series. Not only is the show excellent (albeit with typical 90's Season 1 unevenness) but the books are actually quite good as well. If not for those books, I wouldn't have gotten back into reading the SW EU when I did and we might not be having this discussion right now ;).

Even more tragic- the film that almost got made (which wouldn't have been the Telepath War story, AFAIK) before funding fell through would have been produced in that small early/mid-2000's window where most, if not all, of the cast was still alive.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    The Positive Fan and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh yeah, forgot about the Technomage trilogy.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, in an odd way, B5's novels can be summed up as two 4-book trilogies (Technomage trilogy + The Shadow Within as a prequel & Centauri/Legions of Fire trilogy + In the Beginning novelization as a sidestory with its frame story), one 3-book trilogy (Psi-Corps trilogy), two novelizations (Thirdspace & A Call to Arms) and one standalone (To Dream in the City of Sorrows).

I really, really need to reread those one day (actually, never got around to reading the PC trilogy or the two one-shots).

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Starring Ars Dangor, Sate Pestage, Mas Amedda, Kren Blista-Vanee, Sim Aloo, and Janus Greejatus.

MAKE IT HAPPEN

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Geeze, the first solid plot-based information we get about the show is "Seven years after Endor" which spreads across the Internets and now it's "No, no, wait, it's 7 years after Yavin, my bad! Sorry!" but no way is that information going to be as widespread as the initial "Seven years after Endor" so it's going to be that for awhile. Fake Star Wars news!

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm.... not particularly excited about the timeframe.

It's admittedly too early to make any definitive conclusions regarding the new series, even being 3 years after Endor doesn't particularly sound like an interesting period based upon what's been created. It would've been nice if, say, the show was set during the year following Endor, or that the time period announced was open for a continuation of the war a la the old EU, but Aftermath and Shattered Empire both closed the door on that happening.

It's not impossible that something interesting might come out of this, but I'm not holding my breath.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Will we get to watch the NR become more and more de-militarised? What a fascinating and fun show that'll be.

"Sir! We have pirates ambushing peaceful trade ships all along the trade routes!"

"Well do they know our ships are peaceful?"

"Yes sir, that's why they're raiding them."

"Well..."

Jedi Ben and kalzeth like this.
  18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    7 years after yavin sure would be an easy way to have Janina/Iden show up. I'd be ok with that.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  19. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    When I saw the Favreau interview and he said "7 years after the Battle of Yavin" I just assumed he was mistaken and he actually meant "Battle of Endor", because that's how it was being reported. But if he actually meant Yavin then good on him and I don't get why it was ever reported the other way?

Ghost likes this.
  20. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Because the guy who interviewed him and wrote the initial tweet is the same guy who wrote the horrible “Poe and Star-Lord are the real villains” pieces. AKA, he can’t be trusted.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I would defintely be in favor of that. I loved Iden and Del, both as a characters and as a couple. It would be great to see more stories about them after they defected.

bizzbizz, nancipants and Gamma626 like this.
  22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Indeed! I think it'd be a wasted opportunity to not use those characters in the show.

nancipants likes this.
  23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree on Del and Iden, but not without Shriv. Easily the best character in the game IMO.
    [​IMG]

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    How could I forget Shriv? Best Duros ever! But if we get him, we have to get a Lando cameo at the minimum. Those two had a great dynamic.

bizzbizz, spicer and nancipants like this.
  25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes! It would be a shame not to use Glover as Lando again, considering that Billy Dee is way too old to portray the character only a couple of years after ROTJ.