main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Padmé YA novel CONFIRMED (Queen’s Shadow by EK Johnston)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    It was clear (according to the Visual Dictionary) that Palpatine had already drifted from Naboo by the events of TPM. The gulf like widened by AOTC despite Padme being a member of the Loyalist Committee and became practically an ocean by ROTS. Palpatine had left Naboo behind and clearly the distance between him and his homeworld's senator (much like several other senators) was clear as daylight when Padme wanted Anakin to do the convincing on her behalf.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There are a couple of things there:

-My post was about what I wish they had done. The assumption, pre-TPM, was that Luke and Leia's father had the connection to Palpatine. Then we find out both Palpatine and their mother came from the same planet, and even had the same job at one point. That's a pretty cool link that could have been taken advantage of to develop Padme's character a lot more than they did.

-I recall, in the old EU, there was a line in the TPM dictionary about the art in Palpatine's apartment being different than Naboo's, and that it showed how far he had moved away from his past. I don't recall much more in the old EU than that directly referring to Palpatine moving away from Naboo. He still had a strong connection there in the Darth Plagueis book and that one weird Panaka short story where he was stashing Sith stuff somewhere, and he had some sort of weird mansion outside Theed where he hung out in Galaxies, which I think was referenced in other sources. And that's all just the old EU. I don't know what his canon connection is to Naboo in the new one.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Somthing tells me the connection's not great.
    [​IMG]

4. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    The explaination was that the droid didn't know what happened and concluded that she might simply lost the will. It's up to you to either take it or leave it since we already know that people dying without there is being a medical reason for it is factual.

I liked what Lucas did simply because Padme deserves to have a closure instead of dying off screen between ROTS and ANH.

5. mariel_rose

mariel_rose Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    Is there an official yes we will have a Padme book? Or it's still just rumors because it's April and there is nothing to say in the internet about it being confirmed. I would like to have a book about Padme. Luke and Leia discovering their mom or something because I don't think there is much in canon either here or Legends and it's a shame. It's like Padme and Anakin's mom Shmi get pushed aside and people don't care.

6. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    @CT-867-5309 I apologize for the delay and for the number references I may throw way as May puts me in a somber mood in regards Padmè's fate. Perhaps my love for the True Tudor Queens amplifies this, as May is dark period for the second in particular..who's marriage also lasted 3 years and was wronged by her husband. Anyhow,

Yeah.. my head cannon is that Anakin made an irrefutable marriage proposal after the first time she really broke down before him after she learned the true circumstances of the passing of MCA. The rest of what you described becoming a byproduct of the secrecy she chose to live by for 3 years.

To me it has always been there when compared to Leia...just the overall way she carries herself, the way she speaks, (her views,as interpreted in my PT viewings) a lot more poised..a lot more regal. Which I find ironic since padmè was not raised by Royal Family. You can tell me they lived in different times all you want, but its clear to me from ANH that the Empire held a façade of propriety...Leia can barely play by it, just her birth father. Leia is her father's reversed mirror, parallels to her mother aside. Leia Amidala in TCW will annoy me for eternity.

Just Padmè a woman that from the moment her husband said she would die in child birth she had to hide her true face from him as well... As for her true characterization all of it is, as Padmè is my opinion represents the Devine Feminine rather than a specific female archetype like Leia. This is where ill defined perceptions come from, as the archetype and character don't really fit with the overall perception of SW. Her arc ironically reflects this truth as well. I feel that in each movie Padmè showcases a facet of the women life cycle - one that's cut short-metaphorically speaking, and in ROTS she is represents everything that is lost in the Republic as a more oppressive view point takes over with the Empire. Padmè is loss (literally)and in the end, while Leia is rebirth.

Again, if she not care she would have been honest with Anakin from the get go...she did care about her children, but a force pregnancy cannot have been easy, from the concept art it looks like it was not. When her hubby comes home, she can rely on him..what? a day? before the dream came forcing her to be the strong one of the two once more..because of her secret life, she had no one but Ani to turn to? What prospect of the future could she have once her mirage begun imploding? After encouraging Bail to continue with their plans, she tells him she will not live long ...she knows she's not going to raise her child/dren.
    Yes Noble ladies..True Ladies do cry ...in private, case in point:

Does Padmè break down in public?

NO! It puzzles me that people see so out of character when Padmè has always been a women of two faces-3 when she marries. I understand the disbalance it creates, focusing primarily on her private face so late in her arc, but lot of the turmoil she faces IS at the core of her private life and we are not even seeing things from point of view really.

:) Glad to be of help. I've given up hope that I'll see material that does Padmè does truly justice, specially under Disney tbh.. Because what Padmè needs a writer with passion of history and mythos like Gorge R.R. Martin as I mentioned before. Whoever mentioned Catherine Of Aragon a few pages back is on the right track.

Someone gets it... yes! As I alluded above we don't see things from her POV and as said in another thread, is as if we see her from Anakin's POV.
    Even Portman agrees:

One of the handful of times I agree with Portman wholeheartedly btw. The video explains why despite having a negative arc, Padmè is my SW role model. Perhaps because movie wise she is more in line with female characters that have to rely on wits rather than sheer physicality.
    Like I said, TCW needs to be rewritten..the fact the show brought modern day war and issues into it when the PT at large did not was a huge mistake, for Ani and Padmè specially ..for the most part, I just can't take them seriously! Together or apart. Had I watched TCW first ..It would be very hard for me to understand why Anakin turned in the first place with ROTS as is.

YES! I would love to a Palpatine -Padmè centered book that that plays out the tension between them
    displayed by Salvatore and subtle in AOTC -ROTS myself!

Fair enough, but I would like for people to understand is that this was her choice- believing she could be everything he was lacking from his other mentors- and failing as she was outplayed Palpy in this area as well. She and the galaxy payed dearly for her choice to love Anakin Skywalker. It would be interesting to me to see this explored well.

=D=@};-
    Apparently finding out the man you helped into power is Sith Lord who manipulated you from the start and has manipulated the love of your life into a conscious killer (with the army that you indirectly passed)for the chance for the slightest chance to save you, and realizing that you were being used as a tool for said manipulation is not enough to be deemed worthy of being in such a state. Go figure.

While true, the only ones truly innocent in all of this are Shmi & Jar-Jar.

YES!!! That she is.
    Mon Mothma's smile when finding out that Admiral Raddus on his way to Scarif without having to ask him, is truly one of my favorite moments of R1...I imagined Amidala having a similar reaction with a more sad tone to it of course, given conflict of interest that would always be there because of her husband.

You know Barris I share your pain here. As I told you before, I wished TCW had expanded on this...and instead I got Padmè: Palpatine cheerleader, which is a complete contradiction of the quote above. Its laughable that TCW movie (finally saw it on the 4th)hints that we would see this aspect explored...but, oh no TCW Padmè can't do no wrong!:rolleyes: But as @Noash_Retrac masterfully pointed out, its not missing from ROTS but its done with subtly ...as everything regarding Padmè was handled the PT. I would argue that the fight for Anakin's soul is fought between Palps and Padmè with Kenobi adding more to the conflict. A battle she looses momentarily in the grand scheme of things.;)

=D==D==D==D=^:)^[:D]
    THANK YOU!!!YES!!! For ten years now I've been like,Does anyone realize that had she not died, Anakin wouldn't have survived the operation yet? Rather than palps sucking her life force, I believe its Padmè who keeps Anakin alive through their bond, which why she seems to be so much pain during childbirth..she cemented the good in him during a crucial Sith practice.
    To quote Luke, I care...its really sad to me that two most important figures that shape Anakin's life get shafted like this.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    mes520, Xander Vos and Jedi Princess like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly, I think it remains a rumour.

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Padme's ROTS characterization was TERRIBLE and incredibly insulting to what was once a potentially interesting character. And the "she died of a broken heart" nonsense was the most insulting bit of all. Really you could have replaced her with a "sexy lamp" (look it up) and not much changes.

Which is a shame because in TPM and part of AOTC she was still a cool character.

And she's a character that you could do more with, hence why I'm hoping for a novel or comic series focusing on her.

9. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    o_O
    Glad I was able your to sway your opinion...[face_laugh]

That I agree with...even if it retcons other material outside the movies...[face_devil]

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Well she finally got her own SOLO Forces Of Destiny Episode...so I guess we're heading in the right direction :p

11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Well we probably got an explanation today for why this book never came to be. They just announced a Millennial Falcon series for the fall by Lucasfilm Press. Be surprised if this ever happens now. As after this they are going to be free to start giving us a young adult novels about young Rey, Finn, and Poe and you know they would do books for those three long before they would ever do one for Padme.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm pretty convinced this was never in the works, and whatever site listed it did so in error or as a placeholder for something else.

Think about it, we never hear about a book before it's officially announced.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Very possible. However the site that was originally linked to in this thread said at the same time that a Han Solo young adult novel was coming as well. And we are getting that young Han Solo novel.

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    A series of middle grade books isn't exactly the same. Not to mention if they were just spitballing a Han Solo book would have been a pretty safe bet.

Daneira likes this.
  15. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I think he's probably thinking of the Star Wars: Most Wanted YA novel.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. That was the one I was talking about.

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Either way, I still suspect there never was a Padmé novel. Sure, some books do get canned, but we'll usually have heard of them beforehand (Blood Oath, Kemp duology).

18. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    This unconfirmed Padme YA novel will linger on forever. When the new canon is eventually overthrown and rebooted, this will be our Sword of the Jedi. What is dead can never die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Sword of the Jedi was officially announced. This wasn't.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More like the Kemp duology.

spicer likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Heh.

Daneira likes this.
  22. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    [face_sigh]..
    sad but true.. what makes it worse is that I don't really care about the new characters; I own some of the Journey to TFA but I never got around reading them before17th ..and after I saw the movie, the fact that it seemed to lean heavily on said books killed my interest all together. I dread to think how much worse TLJ is in this aspect.

In the mean time ..I will continue to advocate for it.:amidala::padme:[face_flag]

23. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Forget just being a YA novel. If it's in the works, I'd prefer it to be a full on novel instead. So that's what I'm hoping for!

Amon_Amarth and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  24. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    To be honest, since there's very little material on her outside of the movies and it mostly sucks, ANYTHING that features her perspective would be great at this point; if done properly..the latest FOD episode makes me doubt that Disney will ever give us something decent. As the book and comic side of things seem to be going well for the most part, I have not lost faith completely. A novel would be ideal indeed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Gamma626 likes this.
  25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm so sad this died.:_|