main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Last Shot by Daniel Jose Older (Out on Apr 17, 2018)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Do we really have to use spoiler tags in a thread specifically for discussing a book?

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised (after all, Qi'ra isn't in any of the other movies, so they don't seem to be in contact. However, hasn't it yet to be explained what role Qi'ra plays and if she and Han were involved?.

Rebel Dawn is Legends, not canon, so different continuities and different versions of the same idea.

3. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Everyone’s using a uff from the books to discuss one thing really. Might as well just start a spoilers allowed thread for the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xander Vos likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    For @Sinrebirth One Canon project who is trying to make it all fit.

5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh, didn't realize that.
    IMHO, at this point, canon and Legends have diverged so much that a syncretistic approach to it has become impossible. Mileage may vary, of course.

SWpants likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You don't know the power of the Sinny side of the Continuity.

SWpants and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The six Solo novel(s) take place across 10 years, so it could be said that he hands the Falcon back to Lando... maybe, maybe. I want to see the film first etc.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What? What kinda internet poster are you?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My expectations ruin things; thus, I abandon them.

May as well be reasonable!

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reasonable, eh?

<Looks it up>

Ah, here we are - you're on the Internet endangered species list.

[face_devil]

11. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Finished the book. It was okay? I think I’d rank it towards the bottom of the new canon novels just above Ahsoka.

There were parts I liked not overall it felt like a bit of a chore to get through. Highlights were definitely Peekpa and Taka.

I wasn’t entirely sold on Han or Lando’s characterisation.

Glad others loved it though!

Manuel Bothans, Stymi and Guidman like this.
  12. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I agree entirely. The jumping back and forth, sometimes even every other (short) chapter, was really jarring and pulled me out of the story every time. For the longest time, none of the flashbacks particularly felt import or meaningful to the main plot in the "present" time. Even once it became apparent what the exact connections were, they largely fell flat and felt superfluous. The actual connection could have simply been explained in a couple of lines of dialogue. Or, even better, I think they probably could have just ditched the past connection entirely and drew Han and Lando into this thing in a more effective way. The flashbacks honestly just felt to me like a shoe-horned attempt to tie this in to the characters in roughly the same era as the Solo movie.

13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    The Lando/L3 section reeks the most of “mandated media tie-in” and the ending of the book would have probably played out exactly the same if the Lando/L3 chapters were exorcised from the book completely.

I enjoyed the Young Han chapters because they were fun, but I agree that they could have probably been shortened and more attention given to the current post ROTJ timeline.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me. For now anyway. ;)

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Finally finished it. Thought it was pretty good. Certainly liked the interactions between Lando and Han. The new characters that were introduced were good too. Didn't like the Maguffin in it or the villain. Also, these non-linear novels aren't my favorite. Between this and the Phasma novel, just give me a straight forward timeline. I don't need to be jumping back between times every chapter.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  16. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Probably feels like that because that's exactly what it is

you could say that about the entire existence of almost every new canon novel so far if we're being honest about it. It's the future of Star Wars literature, tie-ins to get people who are interested in the movie to spend more money, pretty much.

17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If the novels are good, does it matter?

nancipants likes this.
  18. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Impossible to answer. Matter to some? maybe. Matter to others? maybe not.

IMO I don't think it really does but it's hard to tell until we actually start getting novels that are good

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But we've had good novels, with a lot of them not tying into other media.

Manuel Bothans and nancipants like this.
  20. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Obviously that's a matter of opinion. I don't think we've had many good novels at all in the last few years. New canon started strongly with Tarkin, A New Dawn, Lords of the Sith (Heir to the Jedi was garbage) but since then it's been one disappointment after another. Catalyst and Thrawn were pretty good. Bloodline ok. From what I remember the rest has been bleh.

In my opinion of course. Clearly this is a subjective measure.

21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The Approaching Storm existed to excite people for Ep II, Labyrinth of Evil for Ep III. All the Republic Commando novels owe their existence to a tie-in for a video game, same with The Old Republic novels, the KotOR comics, Ruins of Dantooine, The Force Unleashed I&II. Comics were done for the Ewoks, Droids and both Clone Wars cartoons. X-Wing games begat X-Wing novels and comics. Shadows of the Empire was a gamble to see if they could get movie-level hype (and sales) by doing everything but a movie. The Clone Wars multimedia project kept the hype going between movies. The entire publishing program exists to build the brand. It's not new, that's just no ongoing multi-book series to give us a counterpoint to the more obvious tie-ins right now.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Well, obviously. That's exactly what I said. I wasn't suggesting that tie-ins never happened before, just that now it's almost all that is happening.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I mean the franchise has changed; LFL has adopted the MCU slogan of "everything is connected" and refined the process to a ridiculous extent. So even standalone stuff will tie into other works in some fashion, just with the extent to which it ties in varying from work to work.

And that doesn't mean there aren't standalone stories anymore, not in the slightest. Nor does it mean the books and comics are second fiddle to the movies and TV shows. Sure the movies bring in the most money, but I think LFL have shown at this point that they're not afraid to let the tie-in material grow and thrive on its own.

24. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I would disagree with that. If anything I think they're showing the opposite. Could be we just have different understandings of what exactly that means.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Xander Vos likes this.
  25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    How so? We're at a point where characters from cartoons are bridging the gap into movies, book characters are going to TV, and comic characters are getting into books. Tie-in material is now considered just as important to the overall narrative.

Manuel Bothans and Jedi Princess like this.