main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Luke in the new EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jimmy92186, May 13, 2018.

1. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere but are there any definite plans in the works to explore what Luke was up to post ROTJ? I do read the comics so there is some there. We have really only had one novel that explored anything. Now that TLJ has seemingly ended his story, I would imagine it is open to turn into novels now. I'm a Luke fanboy so I'm hoping they don't just forget about him now. Despite where his story is now he is still the focus of SW as a whole for many people but he has seemed very absent.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's nothing definite I know of.

There's also the big question mark of whether whatever they do do can work for some given the destination set by TLJ, so it's likely to be highly divisive.

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The ironic thing is if they have him running around the Unknown Regions, there's the question of why he didn't know about the FO's threat earlier...

4. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    That's very true. But hopefully it can add more optimistic parts of his story that we don't yet know about. Or maybe episode IX will also deal with Luke in a different light.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps, but right now, for me, it has one hell of an uphill gradient against it.

If you haven't read the TLJ novel, I'd consider it, as it hints at a potentially interesting back story between Luke and Snoke, but it really needs building on.

6. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm waiting on it to come back in paperback. All of my SW books are paperback from the old eu onward and I hate inconsistency on my shelf.

And I guess even beyond just Luke, most of the current novels focus on character other than the main ones. I like getting different sides of it, BUT I really want to get some more Han, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan, etc stories in the new EU. Even PT, Old Republic, etc would be great.

connor413 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    all we definitely know is pretty much after Endor, Luke already started looking for Jedi artifacts. There's also a panel in a recent Darth Vader comic that has him finding a stash of Jedi lore but it's unknown when he found it but it seems likely after Endor as well.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The thing is, from what we know, he doesn't do much. Between TLJ, TLJ novelization/VD, and Bloodline, we know:

He spends years after Endor finding Jedi artifacts and only starts teaching when Ben is of age
    He keeps his academy well away from the New Republic and doesn't get involved in secular affairs to the point that many in the New Republic forget that he and the Jedi even exist (which seems to not really line up with him being a legendary figure....)
    He was an arrogant teacher because he bought into his own hype (which I guess solely comes from ROTJ here)
    His temple is so far removed from the galaxy that after Ben turns and kills everyone, it takes years more before anyone realizes the Jedi have gotten killed again

And that's the story of Luke in the new post-ROTJ continuity.

Nobody145 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    That there alone could encompass who knows how many "adventures". Almost everything he did in the old EU could have more or less occurred during a period where he was "finding Jedi artifacts" if you wanted it to.

10. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    I haven't read all of the novels yet, only the ones that have come out in paperback and the comics so I don't have all of the info but I didn't really get the idea that he was doing nothing. I just got the impression that the stories were leaving him out because they don't want to spoil the movies until they show more.

Along the lines of what EmperorHorus said, a lot of the OT and Legends EU treated what he did as almost whispers and stories. Obviously there were some big governmental stories towards the end and some sprinkled in. But when he wasn't actually interacting with the New Republic government or giving a speech to the senate he was out away operating in the shadows so to speak. But I have gotten the feeling that outside of the Clone Wars, the general populace didn't really know what the Jedi did. That was their thing. They were off taking care of things that the average person didn't understand. It always seems like the general populace barely believes in the force. There are many instances where non-force users act like Han did in ANH.

So I could definitely see Luke out there doing things that people are only hearing stories from but may have big ramifications for the galaxy. I hope we get some stories of him actually doing things that are important. If Luke doesn't return for IX in some sort of way or appear in the EU more it is a pretty said ending for Luke.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I mean, it's pretty explicit in the text. Bloodline outright says that Luke has nothing to do with the Republic and many in the Republic forget he and the Jedi even exist - to the degree that when the revelation of Leia's Vader parentage comes out, no one even panics over Luke being the next Vader because it's not even on their minds. TLJ tells us he only started to train Jedi when Ben came of age. And the TLJ VD says that he's so far removed from the galaxy that it took years for anyone to realize he had vanished, Ben had gone to the dark side, and the temple was massacred.

Uh, no, not really. Only if you completely ignore just how closely the NJO as an organization and Luke as an individual worked with the government and was often very literally at the front lines of the civil war and Vong invasion, to the point where he's helping choose the Chief of State and his Jedi are officers in the NR/Alliance fleet and the Empire/Vong deliberately target his academy as part of their war aims against the Republic.

Really, the pre-2014 stories where Luke is more off on his own are the outliers, not the bulk of the evidence - Courtship, BFC (and even that is him explicitly rejecting the heavy public role he had taken to that point), Dark Empire to a degree (but even then it's him becoming Supreme Commander of the Empire before once more working with the Republic military in the sequels).

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Luke is "doing nothing" in the post-ROTJ timeframe only if you ignore what he is doing, which is quite a bit - it just doesn't play out against the backdrop of the Republic. There's so much potentially interesting material in Luke's search for Jedi lore and artifacts, along with the yet-unexplored backstory between him, Ben, Snoke, and Lor San Tekka, that you could spawn an entire novel or ongoing comic series out of just that. And I'm confident they will explore it at some point - the only question is when.

13. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Lady Carise brings up this possibility in the middle of a Senate session.

14. jimmy92186

jimmy92186 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    The NJO would be when I consider him really being front and center for the general public. It's been a long time since I have read through the Legends EU so I could be mistaken. What you say about him being absent from the minds of the senate in the new EU lines up perfectly with what I'm saying. The average person has also been somewhat removed from the "hocus pocus" of the force and not really understanding. Luke could be out stopping "force threats" that the average person doesn't even understand as threats. The same way people don't really understand that Vader and Palpatine were bigger threats than simple governmental dictators.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Luke one Jedi Indiana Jones adventures with Lor San Tekka could be really fun. And, much like The Legends of Luke Skywalker, it opens the way for him to do deeds the build the legend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Forgot to throw in that the Legends of Luke Skywalker remains excellent, despite TLJ's best efforts to drag it down into the mire.

It's a great little set of stories with excellent JG Jones artwork, all wrapped up in a very nice hardback.

Dawud786 likes this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Man, I loved how it set up Luke's spearfishing. Was very happy to see that on-screen after reading LotLS.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Which comic book was this in? I can't remember.

You know, the biggest thing that I miss from the Legends stuff is that Luke was a damn good jedi. He fought for the Republic, established the Jedi Order, got married and had a son. He fought till the end. Well, to me the Legends stuff still stands regardless of whatever Disney does different so it doesn't matter to me at all. TLJ turned look into something that none of us envisioned. The heroe that Luke was after The Battle of Endor became no more than a trashed out, old cantankerous miserable old man.

Luke in Legends is the epitome of strength, and yes, he loses some battles and became stronger for it. So Yoda's comment in TLJ that failure is a great teacher was there in Legends.

19. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I really want to see more stories involving him. For the most part, the post-ROTJ stories have been more Sci-Fi than actual Fantasy. I would love for there to be more books that actually involve the Force and the backstory between Snoke and Luke that was hinted at in the TLJ novelization.

Qui_Za_Miokl and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a strange, strange situation that I don't think anyone really saw coming.

That absolutely needs to be built on, but will it be? It should be a no-brainer, but I don't know now.

Similarly the idea that post-TLJ we'd get more Luke material made sense, but was anyone expecting him to be offed in the way he was? I don't think so.

Due to these factors, if a new Luke book was announced tomorrow, how would I feel about it? I suspect the most accurate answer would be 'ambivalent'.

21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    In a flash-forward in Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #10, a rather grim Luke unseals the vault of Jocastu Nu's school, which contains archives and holocrons:

[​IMG]

Edit: From that issue's discussion thread, editor confirming this panel takes place post-Endor:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    !? That's supposed to be Luke?

23. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    They might keep away from it deliberately, just in case they want to go back and do a new series of films with a re-cast Luke. Or TV show, either live-action or cartoon. That's one of the disappointing things about the new canon, it's great that everything links together, but it seems like it means that certain things will be avoided in case it clashes with something they want to do later.
    I can just imagine:
    "We have an idea for a Luke novel set after ROTJ"
    "Nah can't do that, we're thinking of doing a TV show about Luke in 2027 and we don't want our creative hands tied. Best just to avoid it"

Could just be the cynic in me though

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Blonde hair and yellow jacket that is sort like a winter version of his Yavin celebration jacket. And since it's Jedi business and someone finding it you have to sort of assume it's Luke and not some random.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm all for getting away from the weird photo-referencing thing they're currently doing on the art, but that's the other pole of it - 'craggy' is not how I'd see Luke.