main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Last Shot by Daniel Jose Older (Out on Apr 17, 2018)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 16, 2018.

1. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I'm thinking more purely from a literature point of view. Everything tying in great in terms of quantity for the TV shows and films, we're experiencing an incredible time to be a SW fan in that regard, I couldn't agree more. But being the literature forum and talking mostly about that side of things, it's pretty sparse both creatively and quantity-wise.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Again, how so? Last year alone, there were 20 novels released, with over half of them being original novels ranging from YA to Adult. Then there were two Join The Resistance books and an Adventures from Wild Space book. That's greater than or equal to every year from 2005 to 2014 except for 2008.

3. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I've stated on here several times that I'm referring to adult-oriented novels. I have very little interest in young adult, junior readers (or novelisations for that matter). If I didn't outright state that this time then I understand your disagreement.

No, when it comes to original "adult" novels (I'm going to use that term for want of a better one), the well has dried up massively from pre-Disney sale. And as I said, the ones we are getting are often very limited in scope.

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Well OK then. Let's look at 1997, a year which saw all these 21 being released:
    Here's the list removing everything that isn't "Adult":
    That's comporable to what we're getting now.

5. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
  6. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh, yeah? We can do the same things with other years and just weed out anything that isn't an adult novel.

2002:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6 Adult Novels.

2004:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7 Adult Novels, 2 of which were tie-ins to the Clone Wars Multimedia Project.

2006:
    6 Adult Novels.

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Yes. Really. In 2017 we had:
    Aftermath: Empire's End
    Thrawn
    Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
    Phasma
    From a Certain Point of View
    Canto Bight.

That's six novels/collections from the adult publisher of novels in 2017 compared to the six novels/collections published by the publisher of adult novels, plus a Dark Horse thing, in 1997.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Outsourced likes this.
  8. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    That's.. Not the point.

How many adult novels are there planned for this year? Three? One of which is a movie novelization?

How about next year?

9. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    No it's not. We've had like 2 in the last 12 months. And I definitely wouldn't count Canto Bight and From a Certain Point of View. They're anthologies, not full-length novels (and not very good ones either if you ask me). Though of course I'd understand if you or others counted them.

Novels like Thrawn and Twilight Company show that good original novels are still on the table (obviously they are forms of tie-ins, but they stand very well on their own and are genuinely quality novels). I would just like more of it. But of course in life you don't always get what you want, and if dozens of kids books a year is what the people want and what will make the most money then what are you gonna do?

10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    So you're just going to, what, ignore last year where the stats might knock down your argument? Or the fact that Last Shot was only announced two months before it was released, and we're not even halfway through the year yet?

2017:
    So the only Star Wars books you count are ones that aren't:
    • Young Adult
    • Young Reader
    • Reference Books
    • Anthologies
    Just... every point you bring us is factually wrong.

We just gonna ignore the fact that Galaxy of Fear, Jedi Quest, Jedi Apprentice, Young Jedi Knights, and Junior Jedi Knights exist?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    DP

12. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Dude what is your problem? I haven't said anything "factually wrong". This isn't even an "argument". I'm not arguing anything. I'm stating my disappointment as a result of my preferences. The types of books that I like aren't being made as much anymore.

This has been a really tedious discussion because you seem to be trying really hard to invent new things to disagree with so you have someone to argue with. You're trying to argue with me about whether or not the books I like are the books I like? This is just weird man.

Xander Vos likes this.
  13. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    You posted other pre-Disney years which is what I was addressing as not being the point. Yes 2017 is a much more solid argument.

14. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    He's a weirdly aggressive guy. Don't worry about it.

EmperorHorus likes this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    We don't know. They announce them closer to the release date these days. We don't have Sue Rostoni blogging out the next three years of publishing anymore.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    That's smart. In the past, you'd get cases where fans would latch onto a book that was announced and then be depressed that it was canceled. There still are people who are convinced that Sword of the Jedi could be published despite the fact that it was canceled before it even began.

nancipants likes this.
  17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But that literally isn't true, by your definition. Going by this discussion, the books you like are adult novels, correct? I just showed that the output of adult novels is comparable to past years. You said two adult novels were released in the past year, which is wrong. You said that "original adult novels" have dried up since the sale, which is wrong. You made the point of how many Young Reader novels are coming out, when the same thing happened all throughout the mid 90s to mid 2000s.

Yes, you are stating your preferences, but everything surrounding those preferences is coming from misinformation.

You can like whatever books you want to like.

But you can't say "They aren't making many adult novels anymore" when that is clearly not the case.

Manuel Bothans and Jedi Princess like this.
  18. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    This definitely seems to be true, in some cases. eg. Last Shot. I'm quietly confident (and hoping) that it's just a temporary lull as a result of Disney trying to consolidate their shared universe and things will step up in time.

Xander Vos likes this.
  19. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    No it's not. You even posted it yourself:

That's 2 in the last 12 months. Add Last Shot and that's 3. 3 in 12 months is a solid step down, even from just the last few years.

And again, this a really, really stupid thing to be arguing about

20. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I don't even class Last Shot as an adult novel. It's 3-4 short stories dressed up as a book but comes off more YA.

EmperorHorus likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Are you really counting it in 12 month periods from the current date instead of just using the yearly output?

Here's the adult book output from, say, the last 5 years:

2013: 6
    2014: 4
    2015: 5
    2016: 4
    2017: 6

Let's just class the books using the Publisher's classification.

22. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Am I crazy or did Sue once tease a "big name" author in one blog post only to replace that spot with "nothing to see here, move along" the next time she updated her blog? Did I dream that? Am I crazy? Don't answer that last one.

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Well-

-oh. Ok...

24. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes. That's what "last 12 months" means. It was a pretty clear statement.

Xander Vos likes this.
  25. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Very true. Not much point using publishers' classification as if it's gospel if it's not perfectly inconsistent. Lost Stars wasn't any more YA than Last Shot IMO yet they are classed the same.

Xander Vos likes this.