main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There's some connection to the original armored TCW source (the two tubes, for instance), but the number of fingers is definitely off, and the original version had a more playful/exotic bent than the Solo guy, who looks like he walked off the streets of Mos Eisley:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Lucas was very focused on telling his story and testing new technology, but the man always had a tin ear for dialogue. He also didn't have much desire to direct actors, which resulted in bad performances. Those issues soured a lot of people
    The prequels have a really solid story told poorly. Which is interesting cuz the sequels have a not good story told really good.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yet somehow Lando only has one shirt.

Hypatia and AusStig like this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    But it's a VERY nice shirt.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This feels like a "Zuvio is a Kyuzo" type deal

I mean....I guess....if you squint

kalzeth and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think it has anything to do with this - to think that there wasn't an enormous amount of CGI in the three Disney movies so far is kind of silly. Even the much-hyped "fully practical" TFA had a ton of CGI work. Just as TPM had a ton of practical effects - for all its reputation as ushering in the CGI era of movies, it's the most practical effects of the prequels.

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    That’s exactly the same, in that the similarities involve that they’re wearing the same hat as other characters of that species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    As much as I don't like TPM, I actually agree. There are a ton of well done practical effects, and a lot of the major scenes have a good 'tactile' feeling, like the duel with Maul.

What I find much more egregious is the Arena fight in AotC.

kalzeth and TheRedBlade like this.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I have very conservative hopes for this, but I think without shadow of a doubt the thing I'm most excited about is seeing Han and Lando working together, which we've curiously... not had in the movies at all, save for the blundering around on the skiff

BigAl6ft6, TheRedBlade and Kylun like this.
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It may also have to do with the fact that Solo production, going through the chaos of a director change, ended up rushing effects and creatures that should not have been rushed. Paul Bettany's character was supposed to be a non-humanoid alien originally, for example.

cookeycat likes this.
  11. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    For people disappointed with the Pykes' physical appearance just remember The Clone Wars is already stylized. Imagine if the only human you saw in The Clone Wars was Count Dooku...you would be very disappointed with his live action appearance haha

12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Or discount, malformed Steve Buscemi.

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, they are clearly wearing helmets here and aren't in the cartoon, so that could explain a lot

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    It has never been explained to my satisfaction how Dark Horse avoided getting sued into oblivion for those comics. I mean, Bruce Willis and Jack Nicholson are not known for their professional senses of humor.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm curiously delighted by the mental image of those two reading Union

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Preferably together. Pointing out to each other each time they see Tommy Lee Jones.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Apologies if this has already be posted - Jeremy Jahns Spoiler free review of Solo A Starwars Story

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This review has some spoilers: https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/5/...festival-han-lord-miller-howard-donald-glover . If anyone doubts the validity of that major spoiler I posted some pages ago and don't believe it, it's practically confirmed here. Don't read the review if you don't want to know, if you do I will quote the relevant part now:
    Chronologically, Solo must take place not very long before A New Hope (though a character cameo may throw you off if you’re not also familiar with several of the animated TV series).

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  21. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    https://www.gamesradar.com/solo-a-star-wars-story-ending/ Okay I'm confused, so the dice are NOT used to win the Falcon which has been established canon in the Visual Dictionary and the TLJ novelization. So how are they going to retroactively explain this? The TLJ novelization which says that Han won the Falcon with the dice was put out in March, you'd think Pablo could have caught it since the movie would have finished shooting by then.....

kalzeth likes this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Not 5 years into the new canon and already these mistakes. They say it's really all one canon now, but it's just marketing. I won't be surprised if they ignore Rebels entirely now just to extend maul's film career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

AusStig, kalzeth and unicorn like this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    "They've made a couple of inconsistencies, so now they are literally just going to make stuff which blatantly contradicts massive pieces of canon". Right.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The entire episode was Ezra wandering in the desert in poor health, and the episode could be retconned jnto hallucination. With millions of dollars in Maul films and merchandising at stake, even you or I in their shoes would probably retcon Rebels.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

AusStig likes this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The point is the only evidence you have that they would even want to do is that they have created a couple small inconsistencies. Why would they ruin their marketing when they could just make Maul stories before he died?

Last edited: May 18, 2018