main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RIP RYL Episode Lando (2018-2018)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Mar 15, 2018.

?

Can We Get a New Movie Night Poll?

1. No

11.1%
  2. Absolutely Not

14.8%
  3. kathleen kennedy

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Catching up a bit here I wanted to address the Ford/Solo thing a bit.

I'm one of those people having a hard time seeing someone other than Harrison Ford play Solo, and I suspect this probably affects older people that grew up with the OT more than younger people. It was mentioned it's not fair to Alden Ehrenreich and this is true - but I can't help how I feel. He will never be Han Solo to me, at least not in the way Ford is. For me, Han Solo is an all time iconic role and Harrison Ford just IS Han Solo - much in the same way he IS Indiana Jones. I've mentioned this before how I feel a bit hypocritical because I'm really excited to see Donald Glover play Lando - and this stems from not having the attachment to Lando that I do to Han. But in the end I can't help how I feel about it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to go in with an open mind or that I'm automatically calling the movie crap without seeing it - and I know there are people like this and while I get where they are coming from to a degree it's really pretty silly to judge something you haven't seen. So give us old folk a little slack with this one, to many of us Harrison Ford as Han Solo is an important part of our childhood and our fandom, and it might be a bit difficult for us to see someone else taking over the role.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    @cubman987 would you feel the same way about Luke or Leia being recast?

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    In a starring role like that - yeah though not quite as much as Han.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Congratjoblations @DarthAnakin96! [face_party]=D=

See what I did there? ;)

:_|

But seriously, man, congrats. You did what I couldn't do: graduate on time!

5. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I missed this before but congratulations!!!

6. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Meh... mainstream Hollywood musical bios these days never amount to anything more than the same relative list of boxes to be checked off. It's taking real lives and real histories of rock/pop/country etc. and repackaging them into the same general 2-hour movie-going experience; reducing it all to just another bite-seized accessory for 2018 trends. The trailer here, alone, really epitomizes as much: Queen, the latest app.

My one hope from this (aside from Solo otherwise turning out to be a solid movie) is that it will illuminate everyone on both sides -- audiences and execs -- just how completely zero-sum pointless it would be to recast Indiana Jones instead of simply generating a new hero character whole cloth under the 'Raiders' franchise banner. Honestly, is anyone here just dying to see Solo chiefly for the continuation of its titular character or, more generally, to revisit the Star Wars universe yet again with the promise of a decently engaging plot and memorable world-building/set-pieces?

7. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Thanks all! And now I definitely can say I graduated as they finally released our grades :p Did very well too! Better than I thought :p

8. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This will make a fine addition to my collection

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  10. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
  11. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Random change in subject...

[​IMG]

What. I thought it was nice.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Right, I have no interest in seeing anyone else play Indiana Jones....I mean, I'd still probably go see it but it's not something I am really wanting. As a big 007 fan I've had people compare it to that, which is fair I think, but my response is basically that by the time I got into the Bond movies they were already on the 3rd one so it just wan't the same to me, I'd always known a world where multiple people had played the character.

13. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    I understand that Harrison Ford is a big part of what makes Han Han. The most important part, in fact. I grew up with Han as a big part of my childhood too. Han used to be my favorite, and remains one of my favorite SW characters. Three years ago I would have definitely agreed with the sentiment that he couldn't just be recast, but I think it was TFA that shattered my illusion about that. We had Han Solo played by the original actor yet painfully inconsistent with the character. And all it got was critical praise, because it was nostalgic to see Solo played by Ford again. My take is, I would prefer Han played by another actor but more in line with Han's angst and ethos and character arc (that we see in the OT) over Harrison Ford simply dressed as Solo and just reading whatever lines they give them, inconsistent with the character we see in ROTJ as those lines may be. The Legends EU were important to me when I was younger too, so Han as a character has always been more to me than Harrison Ford's portrayal of him.

And after TLJ, it's clear that under Disney's leadership, there are no more sacred cows in SW anyway.

14. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Well I'd have to say I strongly disagree with your take on Ford/Solo in TFA, so that's probably another reason why it doesn't sit as well with me.

15. DarthAnakin96

Feb 5, 2016
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Wait it’s in Chicago? That really came out of no where.

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  17. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Holy ****

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Screw it. I have gone to the last two I might as well go to this one.

Gotta keep the tradition going :p

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  19. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I figured it would come to Chicago eventually, but I didn't think it would be the next one.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Why Can’t it ever be in New England! One day...

Valency Jane and Huttese 101 like this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Old England never gets any SW celebration. :(:_|

22. DarthAnakin96

Feb 5, 2016
    Its only a 9 hour drive for me [face_thinking]

To impulse buy tickets or not to...

23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Think you guys did a couple of years ago... If I'm not mistaken

Pensivia and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes it does. You got one in 2016

25. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Holy crap I'll actually be able to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.