main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    R1’s ending is the best of the franchise in my opinion. Emotional, powerful and simply epic.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Though I'd say Rogue One is better than The Last Jedi in almost every way. ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don't even think it's close, to be honest. I love most Star Wars movies, but the endings are generally not their strong suit. RO is in a class of it's own in that department.

Avnar and themoth like this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ROTS and ANH have really good endings, I think, but RO may indeed be the best of them all.

Oh, and also the parade at the end of TPM, where Boss Nass is so happy about his new plasma globe from The Sharper Image. :p

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I respect your right to an opinion even if it's wrong.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It may be wrong, but it's also better.

I think he was just excited to move on from that lava lamp he'd had since undergrad.

TCF-1138 , Togruta, EHT and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Still rank R1 at second after Empire.
    Such a well made film on every level.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    From the beginning I’ve predicted that a critical retrospective will place Rogue One near the top, and I stand by that. I think in that way it’ll be the ESB of the new era.

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'm kind of split on R1's ending. I get that's it's dramatic and it emphasis sacrifice, but I've said it before: I wish we had more time with these characters. To me it felt like they were all getting more interesting right when they all started getting killed off.... Did every single new character have to die?

I'd have liked if at least some could've lived on in other media, maybe make some cameos. Imagine if post-ANH Luke ever met Chirrut.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    AhsokaSolo likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    At least Rogue One characters can appear in films that occur before the events of the film. Perhaps even in the Solo/ Lando series.

12. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Of the three Disney releases so far, it is by far and away the best one. It sits just below TESB for me.

13. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    While I'd like it to get the respect it deserves. I'm really just happy it got made at all.

I saw Star Wars when I was 10 in 1977 and Rogue One is the Star Wars movie I had been waiting for ever since then.

14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm finally fleshing out my Rogue One collection. I bought the R1 trade paperback at the local comic book shop today and am really liking it so far. Right away there is a neat scene between Galen and Bodhi that was not in the film. The artwork is really nice too.

And I ordered the R1 novelization last night. Should be here by Saturday. Looking forward to reading that next. I'm gonna try to make time to rewatch all the special features from the blu ray this weekend and then watch the film again for the 10th or so time.

Gamma626 likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Short answer: nah. It's not the worst SW movie by far, but it is kinda forgettable. It's the franchises semi-successful attempt at a real war movie. If you want to watch good military SciFi I'd suggest watching the first three seasons of Battlestar Galactica, that's a better investment of money and time.

16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I like it because it reminds you that as well as the main characters, there were lower ranked personnel on both sides doing their bit as part of the struggle for control of the galaxy. I also like the way the Force is reverted back to a quasi-religion that is prevalent in the wider galaxy. There is a great theme running through it which references the Force as a mere faith until you get to see its terrible power when Darth Vader unleashes the dark side of it at the end.

EHT, coervus, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Absolutely. This is something I've realized as well. And I think the only reason it doesn't have the acclaim now that it should is strictly because of the fact that it was released as a part of this whole new era of Star Wars. So right now it's seen more or less as a high point in a series of films, versus being seen as an incredible science fiction movie all on its own. But I think in time people will look back and realize just how great of a movie it is. And it will definitely be considered separate from all the rest that have come out in this era. Especially now that the ST and the overall future of SW isn't quite going in the direction that a lot of people want or expect.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    100%. I also think that because Rogue One was so tonally distinct from other Star Wars films (i.e. not pulpy and light), and because many critics expect these films to stay in their fun, wink-at-the-audience genre boxes and not take themselves too seriously, that it didn’t fare as well as it would have if judged on its own merits. Some critics fully and completely recognizes that, though, I judged it a great film. And I think like ESB, more will come back to it and say: “Wait a second. This is one of the best sci-fi films ever.”

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  19. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    Well... now after seeing Solo, RO is still my favorite along with TESB :D.

Sarge and Dagobahsystem like this.
  20. Kylo_Ben

Kylo_Ben Jedi Knight

Jan 5, 2017
    Rogue One is boss. Great film.

Probably the most 're-watchable Star Wars film.

21. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Yes, RO is absolutely my favorite! It's a Star Wars Masterpiece!

22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    R1 sits at number 6 on my list, but that's not a slight.... I love it.

It does have the best ending, IMO, but primarily because we know the opening to ANH.

23. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    No.

A decent enough movie, but easily the worst of the Disney era.

jaqen likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    R1 is still the best of the Disney era. Solo is a lot of fun, but it doesn't have the power or impact of R1.

25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Nah - still loved it but #4 in the Disney era.......