main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it would seem like the story is setting up Ford's return in a host body. But since that seems like the obviously direction the story will go, I am expecting a twist. Perhaps Ford was building a dinosaur or very large silver samurai suit.

Delores' father is obviously a key asset with his encrypted data. He's probably a successful restoration of a former person in a host.

Yodaminch and Master_Rebado like this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    What I'm saying is that the Ford that was killed in the Season 1 finale was a Ford host body. The reveal will be that Ford is very much alive and still human.

The data in Abernathy might have been human Arnold data and now that the human Arnold data is possibly back in Bernard, we'll see Bernard "ascend" back to Arnold when he walks through "The Door".

Anyone check this out?
    http://www.delosincorporated.com/

There is a login. Try "XOMEGACH"

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That would certainly be a twist to see Ford actually still alive and just watching event unfold from some bunker. Which would make alot of sense, as he knew they were going to push him out of the company. Which would also mean that scene where he was killed off was like his "Red Wedding" as all the corporate heads were invited to a party to their deaths. However, I still was hoping for a T-Rex or a Silver Samurai to enter the show, especially with how the last episode ended.

It would also make sense why Delores remembers things and is the host with the most.

4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Well Delores is the original and she has a lot of memories stored inside her of Arnold. If Ford was going to attempt to build a new Arnold like William was trying to build a new Jim Delos, then having Delores memories would be a key ingredient of that process.

Yodaminch likes this.
  5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so are some robots organic ? and if they are how would anyone know ?

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The basis of most of the robots/hosts appears to be that white goo that we've seen. When the rescue team was opening a host to remove its processor, they had to cut open the skull that had a skin like texture, brain like tissue and the processor was inside there. They seem to bleed when shot, but eventually they will leak/need that "cortical white fluid" to function when damaged. Other than that, you can't tell and that's part of the design.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm still not certain how Thandie Newton's character, Maeve Millay, will fit in with the bigger picture. Right now, character is being used to explore the world outside of West World, but now she's back in the park looking for her daughter. I suppose that journey will reveal more aspects of the story. And I'm feeling like it won't be a happy reunion between Maeve and her daughter.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    She especially won't be happy to find her daughter in this narrative.
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for sharing. This is worth a watch, especially since I forgot that hosts have a device in their spine set to explode if they leave.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  10. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    Agreed. I think it will be done in such a way that it allows Maeve to move forward in her journey into consciousness. What she's doing now, with her God-mode commands, strikes me as something of a 'cheat' so I think they may make the point that her developing humanity will be stunted unless she can take the handbrake off, ie. by not relying on control, and learn to take a leap of faith like humans do.

Also, from a practical production stand-point, they can't really have that daughter hanging about long term because the child actress will age. They can't even get away with doing a time-jump to cover it, because she should stay the same. When we saw Lawrence's daughter this week, the girl had grown about two feet in the interim, despite less than a week passing in universe...!

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Would that not be an interesting development, hosts that can age to adulthood(or of course grow old and just download to a new body).

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I really enjoyed the latest episode; not only because of the setting, but the "parallel universe." It was also an emotionally charged episode. Looks like we have a bit of "Neo" from The Matrix in the story now.

And there's that bit of strong foreshadowing in the other story.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I guess my problem is that it all seems like convoluted plotlines rather than actual dramatic stories . It's all twists and sudden deaths .
    I don't see what anyone wants . Or , more importantly , why they want it . I mean these are robots , where are they getting their desires and emotions from ?

nilzo antonio likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's part of the mystery of the show. Are the host sentient because of programming (perhaps via Ford) or it is an evolution of the host? There's a scene in the last episode where...
    "The rescue party" enters the master control room and they're removing the "CPU/Memory Cards" (I can't recall what they're actually called) from the hosts and discover a large chuck of data missing. IIRC, something to the effect of them being "virgins" or something like that.

There's the moral dilemma of killing "sentient beings" in regards to Artificial Intelligence.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Music felt very Witcher 3 on the last episode

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Never played any of the "Witcher" games, so for me, it was one of those "Guitar Hero" games. I did like the "Eastern" spin on the Rolling Stones' "Paint it, Black."

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I really enjoyed this episode.
    • Shogun World was great.
    • I thought it was great to see AFTER the rescue team retrieve the hosts from the water and it took me a second watch to see Teddy at the top of the pile. It's neat to hear that their data was manipulated to the point of being erased so the rescue team won't find any answers there. Little do they know they're looking in the wrong brain.
    • It was a very human thing to do when Delores and Teddy made love, and then she betrayed him the next day.
    Two minor gripes:
    1) Sure, Sakura got stabbed by the Shogun, but Maeve's got two techs with her. Can't they revive her?
    2) Maeve seemed upset with Lee multiple times concerning their plagiarized stories. Um, it's his stories in their brains. They don't own their own stories and their past memories are manufactured. This isn't new news so why be so upset?

With that said, Maeve has a manufactured memory of a daughter that she cared for. It's not her real biological daughter, just another host. She has a fond memory that was created for a story where she was happy and she's holding onto that feeling and chasing that feeling of happiness just to save a host that was once her daughter. I think if they do find her "daughter" that multiples things could happen.

1) Daughter wants to be her own person and that includes not wanting to be someone's daughter.
    2) Daughter will have a new family within a new storyline and she'll want to connect/stay with them and not with Maeve now that's she's free to make her own decisions.
    3) Daughter has not yet become self aware and has no memory of Maeve as her mother. The techs look in her brain and it's completely reformatted/wiped.
    4) We hear Ford's voice when they find the Daughter.

In other words, I don't expect a happy ending for Maeve and even though she may have found a new voice, it's not going to help her against humans.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I would so love to go to Shogun World.

I didn't noticed Teddy on top of the pile of the recovered hosts. I might check out the episode again to see if I can catch that.

Yeah, we had to expect Delores to kill Teddy after he failed the test to execute those soldiers. Delores is not fooling around, and that was some black widow stuff, having sex with Teddy and then kill him off shortly thereafter. I don't expect Teddy to return anytime soon like he did in the first season.

Perhaps the techs could revive Sakura, but perhaps not. The would probably need certain tools and whatnot to revive her and an iPad thingie, like Delores has.

I think Maeve was upset seeing her stories duplicated in another world because it's a reminder of being manufactured. It's like that moment when Buzz Lightyear realizes he's a toy.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Teddy as in the preview.

I wonder if guests could take a ninja role in Samurai World? If you suck at stealth would the hosts be programmed to not notice you?

I like that they used Musashi. That'd be a cool vacation, you get kenjutsu lessons from "Musashi".

Maeve didn't leave yet, maybe she can still revive Sakura? Although, Sakura has a symbol in mortality.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Teddy is getting a personality upgrade so I guess it's time to say goodbye to the Good Cowboy we've known for the last season and a half. RIP Teddy, long live Teddy.

Anyway, fantastic episode, I loved Shogun World as a flip of Westworld's main town entrance, even had the same scenario play out with Paint It Black musical except with appropriate era instruments. And the two snake-ladies from both worlds meeting up and just staring at each other was great. Also this may have been the most violent Westworld episode ever, which is saying something! but it went full bore tonally samauri film, the way Westworld often goes full bore western, but also it had the extra sci-fi robot problem of the bad guy's robot brain leaking out

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, I mean, if the hosts have all these previous lives memories then good teddy may still be there somewhere.

Don't mess with Musashi.

Who or what is the Cradle working for? As a cloud backup for the Hosts then every incarnation of Hosts could be in there.

Not sure when the conversation between Bernard and Delores took place. Quite the switch.

Biggest moment of course..."Hello, old friend."

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, that last episode took us further down the rabbit hole. I just couldn't stop making comparisons between this latest episode of Westworld with The Matrix trilogy.

I didn't catch the greyhound metaphor, but I thought there was something to it as the camera focused on the dog for a bit. So, @VadersLaMent thanks for posting that video.

I did figure that's what the purpose of the ball was that Bernard created and was storing in his pocket.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah at this point I'm kind of just going on the ride since I don't really fully understand what The Cradle is, but I guess Ford is in control of it. I haven't watched any of the explained videos because I've been trying to figure it out on my own and may revisit come end of season.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  25. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I didn' t like last week episode, but the following make some points about things i found annoying in it:

Maybe it's far fetched, but then again there got be something wrong with "rescue team" that showed up last week.