main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Star Wars Celebration 2019 Hotels

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This is the thread to discuss available hotels, and where you are going to stay.

From what I've heard the two main hotels are the Marriot and the Hyatt. (I've booked the Hyatt for now). Anyone one with recommendations or knowledge of the area?

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    What rate did you get for the Hyatt?

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Expensive, and I booked for 6 people, so I actually don't know what the per night/person price was. I used booking.com

4. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm getting one rate that is pretty high (about $300 a night). And then another that is significantly reduced but that has no cancellations. So I'd be stuck with it. I'm just wondering if I should book at the higher rate and then see what I can get through OnPeak.

I'm using Hotels.com

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm doing the "book the higher rate, hope for something better" as well.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Why are you booking hotels already? Won't Onpeak have the best rates?

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Just in case. Look at it on the map. There's nothing else around other than the two hotels right close by.

8. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm seeing a little under $300/night for the Hyatt.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah but there are hotel blocks at both hotels. I just called them. Plus there will be a 501st block of rooms available I'm sure. I'm not sweating it. I'll wait for OnPeak. Heck I might just drive an RV. My wife works for Camping World and we can borrow an RV for free for our vacations.

That and we might not even go to this one. Chicago doesn't really call to me like Florida or California.

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I booked the Chicago South Loop Hotel. The Hyatt and Marriott are already sold out with what was available. And the South Loop Hotel is the next closest one, only a couple of blocks away. I figure I can book that now and then see what I can get through OnPeak. Which I imagine is going to be a bit of a gamble, since I've already seen a spike in activity for the hotels there already, so I imagine A LOT of people will try to book through OnPeak as well. Especially as people start seeing that there is a real shortage of hotels in the immediate vicinity.

11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    What did that cost you?

12. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Total comes out to just over $300 a night (total like $2,200 for 7 nights). But you don't have to pay now, you can cancel up until the week of.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    :(

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Honestly, I think it will be worth it when it comes to actually being there and not having to work out transportation each day. You can always book now and cancel later. But I would still rather be close by and have to pay for it than have to work out transportation to and from each day. It's up to you. There's still OnPeak, but I imagine a lot of people will try for that too.

Seriously, look at the map, there's hardly anything around the convention center. I'd say book now. Just make sure you choose the option that has a cancellation policy.

15. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    I booked with Hyatt. What is this talk of cheaper cost and blocking thing?

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Booking through onpeak when they have their con rate go up (it's not up yet).

17. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    For those that booked through Onpeak before - was it fairly easy to get or do those sell out extremely fast too? I stayed about 20 mins away in Orlando so I didnt deal with it last time.

18. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    The Rosen Center and Rosen Plaza, which were two of the closest hotels were sold out in a couple hours once they opened for Celebration 8, but they release these in blocks so more appeared after some time.

19. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I thought there was a Hilton along the road with the Hyatt and Marriot at the Anaheim Con. center, I stayed at the Marriot last time, paid less than $1200 for 6 days at the Cele. but prices may have gone up since then! also, at that time, the room I was in was sort of "mixed' and outdated,sort of strange. I'm sure that I had breakfast at the Hilton that was right across the way from the Marriot.

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    According to Wikipedia, the Hyatt and Marriott both have just over 1,200 rooms each.

21. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    Just a heads up, you can book any hotel near the Green Line for easy transportation. There are a ton of hotels in the Loop area within walking distance if the Red Line, as well as being near the Mag Mile, etc.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    jerejerebinks likes this.
  22. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I called about the hotels attached to the Con. Center by walkway and they said that the rooms were blocked out until onPeak came up for the reservations. the prices would of course soar in price and I predict-unless a miracle happens, the VIP tickets would be $900+.thank goodness I'm not going that way!

23. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    How were people able to get rooms already? I didn't even think about contacting the hotels directly beforehand, but they're all sold out now.

24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    If you jumped on immediately after the announcement, you could book (not through onpeak though).

25. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    Man, now I have to wait three weeks as people talk about this and hype it up and everyone gets ready to book their rooms. All I want is a room at a connected hotel. I can't handle this stress.

Also, if rooms cost ~$300/night, that ends up being $1,500. Last Orlando, I have a clear memory of being disgruntled at paying a hotel $300 while I slept on a concrete floor. Hope that doesn't happen again. Or maybe I can fudge the dates. I'm a 45 minute drive away, so if I know I'm going to sleep on a concrete floor the first night, I wouldn't need a hotel to check into beforehand.

Amon_Amarth likes this.