main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I honestly hope this never happens. We don't need it. It's just repeating the same mistakes the old EU made, which made it's death all the more necessary.

RaptorMusic likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd be interested to hear what you know about the movie, since you seem to know a lot more about it than anyone else here if you're already aware of its content.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is it about a new character? No.

Easy.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Kenobi was pretty widely beloved.

If this is a Tatooine Western starring Obi-Wan, it will be repeating what the old EU did well. Not its mistakes.

Kenobi was not a nail in the EU's coffin. That was Fate of the Jedi.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Good thing they are doing both.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If they do this movie, it will be the first time a SW film is based exclusively on one planet (well, not counting the Ewok films). Since Disney seems keen on countering preconceived assumptions, it's possible they might let the plot stray beyond Tatooine. There is no strict OOU rule that Obi-Wan can't leave the planet. Or maybe Obi-Wan is on Tatooine throughout the film, but another sizable part of the plot is based elsewhere (Bail and Breha? Vader and CGI Tarkin? Grand Moff Panaka figuring out where Obi-Wan's hiding because of TPM and trying to hunt him down and... actually I am so fanficcing that...)

But yeah, location for this film could potentially be interesting. If they choose to stay on Tatooine, that could also have potential... we could see new aspects of the planet we hadn't before. And it could turn out very Lawrence of Arabia.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was widely beloved amongst people who read Star Wars novels. The people who don't outnumber them at stupidly high numbers per one person who actually read the EU.

But it is exactly the problem. Whenever they tell stories about new characters, they endure in the imagination. Rogue One has a much less divisive position in fandom than TFA/TLJ. Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn and Mara Jade are fan favourites. KOTOR continues to have a lot of love 15 years or more after its release.

We don't frankly need an Obi-Wan film as they've not yet exhausted the entire breadth and depth of a galaxy's worth of stories. Get there first, then come back with "And now, badly written fiction by underpaid writers about old Luke Skywalker and his other old friends, and watch as people are upset that this work is rightfully destroyed and take years and years to cope, if at all!"

10. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You've got it back the front. They should provide familiar stories initially and then branch out. Which is what they are doing. And TFA and TLJ are only decisive amongst fans. There is no evidence to suggest it would fall short for the general audience.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  11. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Did non-EU fans read the novel in droves and then vocally give it bad reviews? Serious question.

Rogue One was forgettable and has already largely faded from the public imagination, whereas TFA and TLJ haven't. Besides, R1 was full of fanservice, callbacks, and SW comfort food, and isn't a great example of a "new" story.

As Darth Philosopher says, I think you've got it back to front. Stories about beloved characters, played by the actors who defined them, endure in the imagination. People went crazy for Hamill being in TLJ, and many cited his performance as the best aspect of the film. People want Billy Dee to return. People lauded Carrie Fisher's badass portrayal of General Organa. And people want to see Ewan again.

Your post makes it clear that the sequel trilogy hasn't been your cup of tea, but be careful about assuming that everyone who's watched it hated it with a passion and needs years to cope.

connor413 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The actor is also the issue here -- I know people who would happily watch Ewan stare at goats all day. I bet once they settle whatever Force gig they have up their sleeve in Episode IX (I know, they didn't plan one specifically, but surely JJA is stuffing some twist up that sleeve right now), they'll give us an Obi-Wan/Forcey movie. Probably starring Liam too, at least as a cameo. All the people who were kids during TPM are having kids now. The time has never been better.

MrDarth0, Voltron64, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  13. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Heyyyyyy I see what ya did there

Bringing back Joel Edgerton as Owen seems like a no-brainer, too, and I was wondering if they would bring back Bonnie Piesse as Beru and then I remembered that Genevieve O'Reilly and Jimmy Smits were in Rogue One for about thirty seconds each so yeah I think they would try to keep the same Beru

Voltron64 likes this.
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    It's rumor roundup time!

A couple days ago, Collider reported that spinoffs like the Obi-Wan and Boba Fett movies were on hold in the wake of Solo's underwhelming performance. In the accompanying youtube video, one fella says: "I can not confirm that the Boba Fett movie was being worked on. I can absolutely confirm that the Obi-Wan movie was being worked on. .... They are no longer working on the movie the way they were."

Maybe he said some more things. I dunno; I didn't watch too much of the video. I'm sure the last four minutes were brilliant and I'll regret it for the rest of my life. But the fella heard this "through multiple sources."

Omega Underground also said the following in a recent report: "We did hear from a well-established outlet last month digging about an unconfirmed rumor of Daldry’s exit on Kenobi weeks before Solo’s release back on May 11th."

Anyway, Lucasfilm responded to the Collider reports. They told ABC News 'there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced "Star Wars" trilogy being overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from "Game of Thrones" producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.'

In conclusion... nothing! We still know nothing. The movie is still maybe kind of possibly happening, with Stephen Daldry perhaps being an option for a director but also maybe he's already walked away from the project. Whatever. Enjoy Star Wars everyone.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Gotta say, this reminds me again that the definite tone of this thread's title has been hilarious from the very beginning.

Daneira, Revanfan1, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    All this news the past few days has been quite funny. People need to remember to always take what you hear on the internet with a big grain of salt because when it all comes down to it these sites are seeking attention more than anything else. I'll be interested to see if Collider ever backtracks on their initial report.

Revanfan1, vong333 and vncredleader like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    In conclusion... nothing! We still know nothing. The movie is still maybe kind of possibly happening, with Stephen Daldry perhaps being an option for a director but also maybe he's already walked away from the project.

[face_laugh] :confused: OK. So I'll maybe sorta squee until I know for sure it's being done then I'll SQUEEEEEEEEEEE for reals! [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

18. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Well, if you guys like attention-seeking headlines full of vague quotes from nameless "insiders" that need to be taken with whole truckloads of salt, I've got a dandy for ya from The Hollywood Reporter!

~~~~~~

Lucasfilm "Licking Their Wounds" But Not Halting 'Star Wars' Development

Disney and Lucasfilm are reassessing their plans for future Star Wars movies in the wake of the disappointing performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, which is having to fight to make much more than $350 million worldwide, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"They haven’t slowed down development," says a source with knowledge of Lucasfilm’s thinking, "but they are licking their wounds."

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and her team are regrouping and figuring out the direction of the movies beyond the final installment of the main series of films, Star Wars: Episode IX, which is scheduled for release Dec. 20, 2019.

"It doesn’t mean those spinoffs don't happen," says another insider of Solo's underperformance globally. "It just means they’re trying to figure out how to make, and market, them differently."

In the case of the Boba Fett spinoff, the project is still being developed, sources tell THR, with Simon Kinberg and James Mangold writing the script with the plan being for Mangold to direct. (The filmmaker is prepping to next shoot his period racing drama Ford vs. Ferrari.)

But there's a catch with Boba Fett. Sources say that after the underperformance of Solo, the project could now be reconfigured. The thinking is that if Han Solo, one of the most iconic characters in the Star Wars universe, couldn’t sustain a big-budget origin feature, then any Fett movie would have to be scaled down, since though the character is popular, he’s certainly less well-known to most moviegoers than the Corellian smuggler.

The status of the Obi-Wan Kenobi spinoff is even less clear. Stephen Daldry had been in negotiations to direct, but both the studio and his agency, CAA, had no comment on the current state of the project.

There had been rumors that Ewan McGregor, who played a younger Obi Wan in the first three episodes of the saga, would reprise his role for that spinoff — the actor was even present at the Solo premiere — but for his next gig, McGregor will shoot Warner Bros.’ adaptation of Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep, which goes into production later this year.

Since acquiring Lucasfilm for $4 billion in October 2012, Disney has released four films in the rejuvenated space opera franchise, the first three of which grossed between $1 billion and $2 billion. Solo, meanwhile, has grossed $344 million globally nearly a month after its worldwide release.

"They were developing anything and everything," says another exec. "It was a case of them stuffing so much sausage and not try to break the casing."

Certainly, hopes for a Solo sequel have been dashed, and any ideas of exploring the subsection that fans call the "Star Wars Underworld" may also be dashed, even if only temporarily. Solo teed up opportunities for characters such as Lando Calrissian and Darth Maul, who both appeared in the film, to become central characters in sequels or spinoffs.

Meanwhile, a June 20 story by Collider kicked off an online frenzy for its claim that Star Wars spinoff movies were being put on hold, though the site noted the situation was fluid.

Right now, the development of new Star Wars movies has gone underground. Two official film projects remain works in progress. Game of Thrones TV show creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are writing and will produce a new series of movies, while Rian Johnson, who co-wrote and directed The Last Jedi, is developing a separate trilogy of his own. (The live-action Star Wars TV show that Jon Favreau is executive producing and that will air on Disney’s streaming service is also proceeding apace.)

But beyond Episode IX, no release dates have been announce for future films, a move out of step with current trends as studios, Disney included, plant flags for franchise releases years in advance.

"In light of the reaction to Last Jedi and the performance of Solo, they are now just going to look at what’s coming in and seeing how good it is, before dating anything," says one insider. "It’s all pretty understandable."

~~~~~

My thoughts: "says a source with knowledge of Lucasfilm’s thinking." Holy hell that is vague, and is even worded in such a way to imply that it's definitely not someone who actually works for LFL. Although it seems like common sense that LFL would be seeking a new marketing strategy for their Anthology films. I have a suggestion, if I may --- don't release them five months after a main film while keeping them trailerless and hypeless until the eleventh hour! Oh snap.

I'm also not sure how Ewan doing Doctor Sleep would affect him playing Ben, if the former is going into production later this year and the Obi-Wan movie isn't scheduled to begin shooting until 2019. He's got time.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Their insider with "knowledge of Lucasfilm's thinking" is obviously the cleaner.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Solo was great. I'm sure Kenobi A Star Wars Story could work just as well.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I like this article more than the Collier one. It far more realistic and all organizations conduct reviews. They do Balance Score Cards, SWOT analysis and performance measures. Star Wars ain't dead nor dying.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I personally liked Solo, unfortunately the movie going public not so much. Kenobi working? Okay, it could cater to the fan base, but Star Wars is not just about a fan base, its always been about brining people from all walks of life in. To do Kenobi, if its a character story like Solo, then get use to the low box office numbers, and Disney better get use to not funding with super huge budgets that make the movies a flop. Then we can have our story..........at the expense of the bigger picture. Kenobi has to be epic and can't involve Maul nor anything close to ANH.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Difference is Kenobi has a big marketable star ala Ewan McGregor, while the Kenobi book is a great ready made story to use, even if they don't use it, Kenobi dealing with the fall out of his best friend wiping out the Jedi and who he thought he'd burnt to death being alive, is pretty dramatic anyway.

They don't need Maul and bringing him back for Solo was incredibly stupid anyway.

It will depend on the screen writer (Please please no more Kasdan's) and Director

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I must admit I'm sceptic. McGregor is a bit too old to do a movie set during the clone wars, so it would have to be between ROTS and ANH. In this time period we know that Obi doesn't do ... very much. Yes, I read the JJM-novel (which I found terribly boring with a lot of redneck characters) and the comic (which was fine, but it was only a short story, not a whole movie). He's a character who goes from being an adventurous Jedi knight to basically being a hermit who does almost nothing. Yes, to get a bit of his thoughts and some force ghost action involving Qui-Gon would be neat, but that's only a bit of fanservice and doesn't make a whole movie which needs plot and stuff (and because its SW, there's got to be some action as well). Obi dealing with sandpeople isn't a good fit because Obi is far too OP for that class of opponent. Who could possibly challenge him?

Even giving him a love interest would be super-complicated.

And he would kinda have to remain on Tatooine, which is limiting as well.

What's the story that could benefit from having Obi as the protagonist? It seems as if almost all cases a no-name character would be better. Your usual western archetype has no magic powers, after all.

Maybe there are some good answers for the questions I'm asking but I'm not sure.