main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 It's official Star Wars Celebration - April 11-15 2019 Chicago

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , May 16, 2018.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Chicago is very surprising, but I am glad they have changed it up. I will see if I can get to this one.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Always wanted to go to Celebration and now it looks like I'll be able to with it being in Chicago - very exciting!

Jedi Knight Fett and Rox like this.
  4. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    From their Facebook in response to criticism of the wristband system:

"There will be new systems and technology in place for 2019. We want you to have the best experience possible in Chicago! Hope to see you there!"

5. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It better not be a lottery...

6. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    From the wording "systems and technology" my guess is they'll be using the RFID system they implemented at NYCC: https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Content/Main-Stage-Clearing/

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Okay. Still seems like you can wait and get in. Not sure how this system is better.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  8. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I just talked to my husband, who was born and raised in Chicago, he said there are NO hotels close to the convention center! the closest, unless things have changed, are 1 mile away. he does not recommend taking city transportation and who has the money for cabs too and from the Cele.? If reed would have bus service to and from the con, like they did years ago at the L.A. convention center(none Reed Cele.) that would work for convenience and SAFETY!

9. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    Nothing wrong with riding the Green Line. There are tons of hotels within a quick walk to the L and a short ride to the Convention Center. It works perfectly for C2E2 and one of the largest car shows in the nation.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  10. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Is there a "good" area to look? What does the L cost and how often does it run?

11. ThanksBates82

May 10, 2003
    I can look at work tomorrow for sure. The Red Line runs 24 hours a day, maybe every 10 minutes or so? I think its $2.50 a ride.

12. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Thanks.

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Chicago! crap.. Really close to Mi.. Might have to go !!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014
    Parts of that page aren't loading for me. Was this at a previous NYCC or upcoming? Anyone have any comments on it?

It looks like an interesting way to handle things. But the 50% capacity on mainstage panels makes me nervous. They reserve 50% of the seats for lottery winners, so if you don't win that, it means you have to line up even earlier to guarantee a spot. And how do they dole out seats for lottery winners? Will those fill up, too? If lottery winners can reserve "up to" four or six tickets, there's no way for them to know how many seats will be reserved from 1,000 lottery winners.

I have no doubt, though, that people will reserve four seats and end up selling three seats. Even if everyone has to register their seat, Reed wouldn't know that I found three people via twitter to pay me $50 to verify their email address.

I'm more than willing to wait for more info, I realize this was only revealed today and we don't actually know anything about how Celebration will do it; but let's be honest, Reed has a history of dropping the ball on things.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I hope they move to some kind of RFID badge this time around to kill that secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    The RFID queue system sounds reasonable (in all honesty it's very similar to the paper wristbands, just electronic and less open to potential abuse).

In all honestly I hate the idea of a lottery. I would much rather queue for it, at least that way I know it's (at least somewhat) in my control. That said, stage capacity in both ballroom and arena is about 10,000 so even if they lottery 50% of the seats there will still be 5,000 available for the RFID queue system which is only 2,000 less than the arena for Anaheim in 2015 and still more than Orlando last year so I guess we shouldn't worry about it.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  17. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Just because NYCC had a lottery doesn't mean SWC will. I'd bet that they'll only be doing RFID badges with no lottery. Remember: NYCC doesn't have the equivalent of Celebration's VIP badges. Since they'll need to reserve space for VIPs, I don't think they'd have a lottery.

Then again, there's a bunch of places that can act as the main stage that will seat several thousand people. McCormick is a huge convention center so that might not even be an issue.

18. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Fingers crossed. RFID definitely covers the new tech part but not really the new system part (since it's essentially the same as the wristband system). To be fair they may not even know for certain themselves yet since we a year out and details like that are probably still being discussed. It may depend on feedback on what's working at other events too.

19. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    There's only like 300 VIPs, so that's not much of a factor.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    There is literally a hotel connected to the convention center. There are also a couple of other ones nearby that aren't terrible that are like a 5 minute cab ride away.

21. ThanksBates82

May 10, 2003
    star_wars_is_good my mistake, its actually on the Green Line. If you wanted to google Chicago Loop Hotels, you could find a ton that are near to the Green Line stations. Anywhere in the loop is probably OK, but from the Clark/Lake station to McCormick Place is about a 30 minute travel, from Station to Gate. Most business travelers stay in that area, there are a TON of places to eat for a quick breakfast or late dinner. The Green Line is in operation from roughly 4:00 AM to roughly 1:00 AM.

22. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Thank you.

23. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    That was at the last Celebration. McCormick is the biggest convention center in the country and has multiple rooms that can fit 10+ thousand people. I'd be shocked if the number of VIPs was still that low (and I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the Jedi Knight level as well).

24. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    I'm struggling to figure out how the RFID system changes anything. Wouldn't we still have to queue to get our chip scanned and then queue in again to get into the hall and a decent seat? Does this change anything other than getting scanned vs. getting wristbanded?

25. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Not if you only have half of it.

I don't see the difference either. Actually seems more prone to problems when scanners inevitably break.