main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Dark Times Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by spicer, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    This can be the Doug Wheatley fan thread as well as far as I'm concerned.^:)^

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Tython Awakening and spicer like this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Re: Favorite Dark Times Cover Art

I actually find Doug Wheatley's interior artwork to be more memorable than his cover artwork. Randy Stradley has mentioned this as well. Doug Wheatley's Biggs arc in the Empire series had some of the best interior artwork I have seen gracing a comic.

As far as covers go for Dark Times, here's a few that were memorable

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    spicer likes this.
  5. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    @Tython Awakening love the Fire Carrier #3 cover! Well, actually, I love all of them, but the more dynamic covers take the edge for me. Good choices!

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    One example I have of this is the cover for Out of the Wilderness with the Verpine Jedi Sahdett. That was good, but I will always remember his first appearance early in the comic, on top of pile of clones.
    [​IMG]

7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Beygor Sahdett was a great villain. That he has turned to the Dark Side was teased since his appearance in Blue Harvest #5. He got the distincitve reddish eye color that Dark Siders have, and not his natural blue as seen in Into the Unknown part 1.

[​IMG]
    Left: Sahdett's first appearance in Into the Unknown part 1. Note that his eyes are blue; Center: Sahdett in Blue Harvest #5. Note the red eyes; Right: Sahdett in A Spark Remains #3. The red eyes are very obvious in this panel.

Did anyone catch this subtle hint when first reading the comics? I admit, I didn't until much later. However, there were additional details sprinkled throughout the Blue Harvest and Out of the Wilderness arcs that made Beyghor somewhat suspicious to the reader.

Side note: Although the character briefly appeared in Blue Harvest #4 before he did in Blue Harvest #5, the color of his eyes can be distinguished in the latter issue, as in Blue Harvest #4 the sun glare makes the discerning of his eye color difficult.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  8. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    @spicer I failed to mention that all cover artwork by Doug Wheatley is equally astounding.

Did you ever catch that the series Empire is ordered by Randy Stradley as following Dark Times? Fire Carrier #3 has that issue as #108 with the numbering starting back with Prelude to Rebellion (1998). The sub-numbering can go beyond A Spark Remains to include the 40-issue run of Empire. The Empire series then allows other stories that fit within the original trilogy and beyond to be placed (X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Biggs Arc)

I don't think the comics in the Empire series have the inner page numbering like Dark Times does.

[​IMG]

Randy Mentioned on his facebook page a long time ago that this girl on Empire 5 and 6 could be Sidirri from Dark Times Fire Carrier. I have come to thing of her as Siddiri but it has been awhile so I'm just mentioning this without verifying my facts.

That resolves some continuity for the long-running series titles that Dark Horse published.

[​IMG]

Blackhole E Snoke and spicer like this.
  9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I knew that the numbering in Dark Times is a continuation of Republic (starting from Prelude to Rebellion), but I didn't know that Empire could fit as well. How cool!

You are correct, I remember Randy's post from several years ago. Sidirri was intented to become the Dark Jedi on Dargulli from Empire: Betrayal. It is also mentioned on Wookieepedia:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dargulli_Dark_Jedi

[​IMG]
    Alas, that never happened, and so offcially, who the Dargulli Dark Jedi was exactly is unexplained, and Sidirri's fate remains a mystery. According to Fire Carrier #5, she ran away from K'Kruhk's group, and Zao went searching for her. I'm aching to read that Zao & Sidirri story, it has so much potential!

10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Wookiepedia puts it together! I was hoping for more than a random Facebook quote by Randy.

We also have the estimated age of Sidirri for calculating years between Fire Carrier and Empire.

I must warn though that I'm out of my depth for getting too detail-oriented with Dark Times and Empire.

Also from ANH: Obi Wan speaking to Luke in his hermitage "Before the Dark Times, before the Empire...."

Republic
    Dark Times
    EMPIRE
    REBELLION

Historical speaking, we might consider Dark Times as a period in Flux when an illegitimate power is oppressing a losing side to reinforce it's dominance. Look at the Soviet Union under Stalin. Or look at the Nazis reinforcing Hitler as furor. The illegitimate power builds an Empire that quickly gets challenged by a Rebellion...

11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Do we know the exact age for Sidirri? The Fire Carrier arc takes place ~ three months after the formation of the Empire. Empire: Betrayal takes place in 0 BBY, or a little less than 19 years later. Now, how old is Sidirri in Dark Times? Her age is not specified in the comics, but to my eye she looks like she's between five and eight years old (roughly). If so, and if Randy's idea that Sidirri = the Dargulli Dark Jedi got realized, then Sidirri would have been in her mid-late twenties in 0 BBY.

Again, this is just speculation on my part, as we don't have an exact age.

12. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The Sidirri wookiepedia article is enough for me. It sais Randy created her character with the intention that she be the Dark Jedi of Dargulli.

I would estimate her age in Fire Carrier a little bit older at 8-11years? I don't think even Randy could give an exact age as that could lock down the time intervals between series.

EDIT: Sidirri may not even know her own age? Randy used to mention on the Dark Horse boards that they could not lock down the continuity between stories too tightly. The original Clone Wars continuity, however, did attempt to lock down specific battles and events as happening within certain months from the events in the Prequel films.

That is where I get out of my depth again. A day on one planet may be longer than the same calendrical day on a different planet. A month gives a good span of time and flexibility for all sorts of events to occur.

kalzeth, Blackhole E Snoke and spicer like this.
  13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    In case anyone is following the YouTube channel Star Wars Comics, you might be aware that in the past two days some elements from Dark Times were covered briefly in their videos. The video from 29/05/2018 covered Vader's thoughts and his interaction with Palpatine as seen in The Path to Nowhere #1:

The video from 31/05/2018 ties to a recent discussion that we had here on Beyghor Sahdett. This video focuses on Beyghor's first encounter with the Emperor as depicted in A Spark Remains #3:

It's good to see Dark Times receiving its much deserved love and appreciation on YouTube as well, which would hopefully reach a wider audience!

I adore Vader's introspection in Dark Times. For a character that appeared sporadically in the series, Vader received (in my opinion) essential exploration in the period soon after his injury on Mustafar. The flashback from Attack of the Clones is perfectly implemented (and, of course, perfectly drawn by Doug Wheatley) here. Palpatine is unsettling as ever in those panels - his responses to Vader make the reader nervous too, not just the Sith apprentice. Fun fact - there is a small reference to the events from Purge: Last Stand of the Jedi in these panels ;)

Beyghor's story as to how he met the Emperor is one of my favourite moments in the comics. Nay, one of my favourite moments in the entire franchise. God, I love Dark Times!

kalzeth and Tython Awakening like this.
  14. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I've been wanting to re-read this series for awhile and I finally started today. I read Star Wars: Republic #79-80, and they were two really special issues. All of the dialog between Dass Jennir and Bomo Greenbark is just so meaningful and memorable. Jennir's realization that the Jedi were attacking a race that had nothing but try to survive is very well done. There aren't many comics that jump out at me as having very well written dialog, but these issues were exceptional. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series, though I also know it's going to be a very emotional ride. :(

spicer, Blackhole E Snoke and kalzeth like this.
  15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Indeed, exceptional is a suitable description for the Dark Times series.

16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Always good to see characters from Dark Times receive attention in the wider fandom - today's video by Star Wars Explained is focusing on one of the main protagonists in the series, K'Kruhk:

Also, the video's thumbnail is the cover for Dark Times: Parallels #1.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Tython Awakening and kalzeth like this.
  17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    No mention of his hat though :(

kalzeth likes this.
  18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Hah!

Did you know that a straw hat was a shared "fashion choice" between K'Kruhk and his best friend Sian Jeisel (who also appeared in Dark Times: Parallels #1)? Sian has a straw hat just like K'Kruhk's in Jedi: Mace Windu. Unfortunately, we never saw her wearing it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

kalzeth and Tython Awakening like this.
  19. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017

More Neat Hats from Dark Times. New times are upon us with the original Marvel Issue #108 One-shot!

Could someone hide a computer in a hat like this? There could be a visor that comes down for "Google Glasses."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    spicer likes this.
  20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't know if you can hide a computer under such a hat, but you can certainly mimic a droid with it...or, a droid can mimic you wearing that hat?
    [​IMG]
    Nothing would make me happier as a Star Wars fan if Dark Times is continued! Surely, if the classic MARVEL Star Wars line can get a new issue over 30 years later, so can a series that was cancelled less than six years ago? [face_praying]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  21. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I think that would be totally amazing! While I really enjoy some of the new Marvel SW comics it would be the very best if they could continue some of the Dark Horse comic lines, most especially Dark Times. It blew me away the first time I read it!

22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Agreed! I enjoy some of the new stories in various media too, but the characters from Dark Times and their arcs captivated me like no other Star Wars story. With that, I am almost certain that no matter how much I enjoy the new material, nothing can replace Dass, Bomo, K'Kruhk, Chase, Zao, H2, the Bat Hawk clan younglings and the Uhumele crew.

23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I wonder if competition for the comics sublicense will ever happen...

Marvel could keep their license and the sublicense could change from idw to dark horse. If DH only put out three titles, that would be close to the way it was before 2015.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  24. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I loved the comics Dark Horse made, Dark Times, Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Legacy, Star Wars Republic, not to mention stand-out TPBs like Outlander, Twilight and Prelude to Rebellion. These are the stories which drew me back to Star Wars as an adult. I would cut my arm off to see DH get a sub-licence.

25. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Or, Dark Horse can be the third publisher to hold the license. It can either publish just Legends comics, or all three publishers (MARVEL, IDW and Dark Horse) can cycle the type of Star Wars comics they publish - for example, for one year MARVEL publishes only canon comics marketed towards the more mature audience while Dark Horse publishes only Legends; the year after, Dark Horse switches from Legends to canon, and now MARVEL tries Legends (any continuing titles and creators can stick with their series regardless of the publisher). Just an idea, I'd love to hear yours.