main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Right! And plus Han only had republic credits anyway. Out on Tatooine they need something more real. ;)

JediMasterSven and Bazinga'd like this.
  2. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Also, due to the Republic becoming the Empire, Republic credits are probably no longer recognized currency.

And it just occurred to me, if the respective worlds have their own currencies, and he got paid in Alderainian currency, well then that's probably worth even less.

So, my question is this after seeing The Last Jedi. One of Luke's big heroic moments in the original trilogy was blowing up the Death Star. However, we've seen that Force Ghosts can influence the physical world. So, did Luke really destroy the Death Star by being a great shot, or did Obi-Wan guide the torpedo to it's target?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If Obi-Wan guided the torpedo (he didn't), why would he say "use the Force, Luke"?

And people are taking the "influence the physical world" way out of context. Force spirits can't interfere on events. Obi-Wan said as much. They can only guide/advise people.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    After TLJ I am not so sure. Snoke manhandlkes Hux and we know what Luke does, including giving Leia the Falcon's Dice

bluealien1 likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also that lightning storm Yoda appears to be creating.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Thats some old currency Han is carrying around. :p

7. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    Besides Maul , Dooku and Vader , who was aware of Palpatine's true idenity and was part of his conspiracy ? I'm guessing Amedda , Tarkin and Sly Moore?

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Amedda knew sometime after the Phantom Menace. Tarkin was not aware During the PT. A clone trooper by the name of Fives figured out that he planned to kill the Jedi, but he did not know he was a sith.

Thats all I know of anyway.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Something that I've wondered for a while is whether Chewie was intentionally slowing the repair of the Falcon at Echo Base in the hopes of changing Han's mind about leaving. What do you guys think, is this coincidence or is Chewbacca playing an angle?

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My bet is Chewie is playing the long game. He wants to help the Rebels, but he wants Han to make that decision for himself.

11. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    My bet is that Chewie is not such a good technician (watch how he reassembles Threepio). He probably wants Han to pay back his debt to Jabba ASAP so they can return and help to their friends.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Maybe Force Ghosts are in fact just an anthropomorphic version of that person's own innate Forciness? An ultimate 'phone a friend' in times of confusion.

So yes. Luke's need to hit the target in ANH triggerred his grandpa power animal to whisper encouragenent in his ear to focus his mind.

Similarly, it wasn't Yoda who blew up the tree, it was really Luke's subconscious calling down the lightning via the form of Yoda.

haha. None of that happened. But I enjoyed that thought bubble.

13. Sammie Kool

Sammie Kool Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2017
    Hi, I have a theory. Maybe it can be debunked here.

In A New Hope, Vader says: "This technological terror you've created in insignificant next to the power of the force". This might have shown that he didnt like the Death Star. Maybe he let the plans go in purpose in Rogue One so the rebels could destroy it.

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ I think he was merely annoyed having been given the mundane task of retrieving the stolen Death Star plans (he didn't even supervise the Tatooine retrieval operation but delegated it to Commander Praji). But his contempt for the Death Star project was rather obvious, IMHO - and his statement somewhat foreshadowed that it was insignificant next to the power of the Force, as it was the use of Force that was instrumental in destroying the battle station.

15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't think he didn't "like" the DS. But as a Force user he doesn't like to be totally dependent on technology. Also I feel he didn't like the arrogant tone a mere bureaucrat used when praising that technology, especially in Vader's presence. He may have wanted a little more respect for the Emperor's Sith apprentice and the Empire's second-in-command. We don't know that in ANH of course, but now that we know what role Vader played in establishing the Empire from the PT we can guess he dislikes this kind of politician. That guy was actually lecturing Vader, putting him down. Had Tarkin not been there I'm not sure Motti had gotten away with his life.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Dagobahsystem and Lt. Hija like this.
  16. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Is the Clone Wars also considered a Civil War like the Galactic Civil War in the OT?
    Because the CIS seceded from the Republic and the Republic said no...

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I consider the Clone Wars to be a civil war, some Republic members wanted to be left alone and do their own thing.
    In contrast the "civil war" in the OT has more characteristics of a "revolution" (Solo). Many people want to overthrow the current government and replace it with a different one.

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that George Lucas deliberately chose "civil war" for the ANH prologue instead of "revolution" because many of these happened in the 1970's IRL.

Sith Lord 2015 and firesaber like this.
  18. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I'm with this. The events leading up to the Clone Wars have all the key terms from what we know of a civil war associated with them.

The Rebellion is just that. Not a "hey, we're going to dip over here and do our own thing".

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. They never said 'no' to anyone who left or was leaving. There was an effort to try to negotiate through dialogue in order to prevent them from doing so, which is completely different.

The Clone Wars had nothing to do with sececcion, but with the Separatists wanting to overwhelm/take over/blackmail the Republic by force.

"(...) we shall have an army greater than any in the galaxy. The Jedi will be overwhelmed. The Republic will agree to any demands we make." — Count Dooku

Snafu55 likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    For an explanation of the differences between the two see:

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-civil-war-and-revolution/

I think the text in bold best explains the difference between the two.

Lt. Hija and firesaber like this.
  21. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Okay, in the beginning of TPM, what exactly is Qui-Gon doing to the blast doors of the Trade Federation ship's command center?

He stabs his lightsaber into it, pauses, draws it back out and re-inserts it while appearing to twist the handle. The door(s) start melting away.

Is he increasing the length of the blade? Increasing the energy output of the blade? What?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    You need to take in the whole scene. The first cut was a simple cut a hole in the door and walk through. When the secondary doors close look at his face and note the music cue. He's having the force guide him through where the saber will do the most good with the door. From there it's just thermo-dynamics.

Remember, this could have been the alternative were he not guided by the force:

Subtext Mining likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    None of that. He starts to cut an opening through the door then the blast doors are activated. He senses/hears it, and decides to try again but keep the saber in so that it can melt the excessively thick doors where they are more fragile (at the center). He couldn't do the same thing he was doing once the blast doors were activated.

MS1, Subtext Mining and heels1785 like this.
  24. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    How come speeders still float when they are off?

How do the ewoks know to give leia a dress? Or would they have given Han a dress if he was captured also?

Where does obi-wan get all his robes from after he leaves his robe on Mustafar he gets another one. Where? I really don't think bail organa keeps jedi robes on his ship. Padmé does though… (on her ship)

Who brings r2 and 3po aboard leia’s ship at the end of rogue one.Captain Antilles?

Why doesn't Obi-Wan’s lightsaber in a new hope seal the wound when he cuts the guy's arm off in the cantina. The arm falls to the ground covered with blood. That doesn't happen with lightsabers.

How does Anakin not sense through the force that Padme is carrying twins?

Anakin and padmé must have discussed what to name their child. Anakin knows that padmé is really good friends with Bail Organa. Bail organa suddenly adopts a baby girl that is named leia, right after Padme’s death. Isn't Vader suspicious?

Why doesn’t everything on tatooine have two shadows?

How does Leia have time to put pants on between when luke rescues her, and their adventure in the trash compactor?

How come Luke’s mechanical hand disappeared when he died?

Why does “Force Luke” still have a mechanical hand?

So.... I've got a lot. I'll be very thankful to anyone who helps answer these. ^:)^^:)^^:)^=D==D==D=

25. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    How come speeders still float when they are off?
    We don't really get anything to tell us they were off. I always imagined that they were in a "hot" standby mode as every time we have seen them they have been deployed in combat situations or where combat would be highly likely. Would make sense to have them ready at a moments notice.

How do the ewoks know to give leia a dress? Or would they have given Han a dress if he was captured also?
    Ewoks had seen humans before and may have had some understanding of clothing. There is also a bit of time we don't see so there is no reason to think that Leia couldn't have given them some guidance.

Where does obi-wan get all his robes from after he leaves his robe on Mustafar he gets another one. Where? I really don't think bail organa keeps jedi robes on his ship. Padmé does though… (on her ship)

Possibly grabbed some things when he and Yoda went back to the temple?

Who brings r2 and 3po aboard leia’s ship at the end of rogue one.Captain Antilles?
    3PO and R2 are assigned to Captain Antilles in service aboard the Tantive IV. Where he and the ship went they went with.

Why doesn't Obi-Wan’s lightsaber in a new hope seal the wound when he cuts the guy's arm off in the cantina. The arm falls to the ground covered with blood. That doesn't happen with lightsabers.
    The IRL answer is probably that the in movie physics of how they work had not been completely hashed out. I've seen it explained away that the blood you see was from the initial start of the wound before cauterization happened.

How does Anakin not sense through the force that Padme is carrying twins?

Interesting question. He may have not had the abilities to distinguish two separate children and may have only perceived the one presence of life in the force?

Anakin and padmé must have discussed what to name their child. Anakin knows that padmé is really good friends with Bail Organa. Bail organa suddenly adopts a baby girl that is named leia, right after Padme’s death. Isn't Vader suspicious?
    Short answer-plot convenience. That being said we don't see any of these discussion taking place in any of the source material. They may have just figured with a war raging and everything else going on they would discuss it later.

Why doesn’t everything on tatooine have two shadows?

The stars are more or less similarly positioned in the sky. The same reason car headlights don't cause two shadows or if you aimed two flashlights at something from the same direction/angle you would not get two shadows.

How does Leia have time to put pants on between when luke rescues her, and their adventure in the trash compactor?

?????

How come Luke’s mechanical hand disappeared when he died?

Same reason only his outer robe remained corporeal but the rest of clothes vanished with him. We saw the same thing with Yoda. Who knows? LOL

Why does “Force Luke” still have a mechanical hand?

His force trick only works if Kylo buys into it.

teamhansolo likes this.