main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    A general question ... this is a Star Wars board, obviously. Most our games (all except one) are Star Wars. But considering there is a certain Star Wars fatigue ... and that we have one game in a non-Star Wars setting that is actually doing pretty good ... I would like to hear people's opinions on something.

Is this a good place to start a non-Star Wars game? Would there be an appetite for a horror game for example? Or an original setting? We used to have a board for this. I remember many good games there. Since we closed it extremely few games outside Star Wars have been around. Would people give it a chance? Not wanting to start a big discussion, just wound love to hear what people think.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I may be a bit biased since I'm a sucker for contemporary games (and I'm suffering a bit from SW fatigue myself), but I say go for it! :)

In all seriousness, I'd love to see the RPF revive that aspect. We may not see it now simply because no one has bothered to start a non-SW game for a while (aside from The Crossing), but I think it certainly has an audience. Taking Fan Fiction as an example, we share a lot of similar qualities with them, and after taking a peek over there, they seem to be doing quite well in that department. People are reading and participating. I think if we gave it a real chance here, we will see a lot of the same results. We all have a lot of the same interests, not just SW.

As I see it, you will never know unless you give it a try. Give them something they never knew they wanted and all that. Heck, I guess I'm about to take the plunge myself with my own game (co-GMed by Fins), but I'm not sure if that would really count since it's an extension of The Crossing? We'll see! Then again, I guess that's testament in itself – that single game reached a point to inspire a sequel. The interest is there.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I agree with the above. Actually nobody regretted it any more that Non-SW ended than me, but it is not as if Non-SW died with it. Activity is down nowadays. Nevertheless we had Far Cry, Marvel Heroes and The Crossing. Three different games all played within one year and having above a hundred posts.

So yeah, it is a bit harder for non-SW maybe. But I totally believe this board is not a SW-exclusive board. By no means. It should not be. SW was actually never less inviting to build a RP on it than it is today.

4. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Thanks for the support to both of you. @HanSolo29, you actually convinced me. I will just give it a try!

It is up!

5. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I wish you good luck with that game Sirak!

HanSolo29 likes this.
  6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I've actually been waiting for a non-Star Wars game to jump into. Candlewood looks like the perfect fit! :D

7. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    Would anyone be interested in the following RPGs
    1. A semi-medieval thriller-fantasy in which Lyncanthropes are constantly hunted by Huntsman, an organisation developed to kill Lyncanthropes.
    2. An Attack on Titan RPG where players can join either Scout, Garrison or Military Police regiments, uncover conspiracies and kill Titans
    3. A Horror themed RPG in which players have to tackle with a group of cannibals, slowly depleting a town of it's population and a madman performing experiments on 'random' people.

LordTroepfchen likes this.
  8. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    First one sounds interesting, second ... I am only vaguely familiar with the franchise and I guess the same is true für 70% of the boards and number 3 I would need to know more.

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    First one sounds like "Claymore", only with boys too. Loved that show, also still have to pick up the next season I believe.

10. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    First one is the one I actually have notes on lying somewhere around the house... Other ones where ideas floating around in the old brain, I can give more info on the first one if any are interested

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    First one sounds cool to me!

12. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I've been contemplating the idea of an Assassins Creed RPG for some time.
    I'm not sure I'd have the time to GM it. But since school is out now, if enough people express interest I'd be open to finding a way to create it.

13. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    It is interesting if one can make it work. Love the games, but they are very based on gameplay and a feeling for movement. You would need a stellar plot, I'd say. My two cents.

14. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Oh I definitely agree. It would have to be heavily character focused to maintain interest. It would still be a historical playground of sorts, participating in major events and such,
    One advantage it would have over the games is that it wouldn't require pretty environments to attract players. It also opens up opportunities for less dense locations, where Parkour may be a little less prevalent. Primarily because we can't literally see the whole world, the location would only influence the story as much as the history and culture it embodies.

For a date right now I'm thinking the 14th century? In the years immediately following the formal dissolution of the Templar order. I think it might be an interesting dynamic, the Assassins working to keep them from gaining a foothold while the Templars have to be careful as they lack the numbers to challenge their enemy openly.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  15. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Wouldn't it be even more interesting to have the trial and end of the templars themselves as a plot? It is the great victory the Assassin's must have had, right? But sounds very good. I'd say give it a try.

16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    The trouble with that is AC Unity already covered most of those events. Not just the opening cutscene, but also side missions and database entries. While there could certainly be some characters or events not mentioned in the lead up to it, I feel some of the excitement would be diminished because so much of how it concludes is already known.
    The aftermath of it is largely unexplored, except for a brief mention by Shaun that the Assassins spent the following years going all over Europe to try and stamp out what remained of the Templars public front.

I think this offers a chance for a bit of back and forth. Assuming the game gets off the ground it could span decades, sometimes the Templars get the upper hand, before the Assassins strike back.

The question I'm wrestling with is where to set it? I know a lot of AC fans have been wanting to go to Asia for a while, but I honestly don't think I would know how to accurately represent their culture or history. When I first started thinking of the game, I pictured it taking place in the Germanic States. I think lots of little governments to influence; Counts, Dukes, and even Kings, might offer a unique experience as each faction fights for influence.
    But if it's not foreign enough to gather an player base than I don't think there would be much point in it.

17. KingInTheNorth5

KingInTheNorth5 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2016
    Been thinking of a few RP ideas, and I'm a longtime viewer of the boards (I know irl an active member in the RP community). My ideas were:

DC Universe RP called Knightfall. What happens when Batman goes rogue? Similar to Injustice in a way.
    Original Fantasy RP set in my DnD world, Cavaan.
    Star Wars RP based around a group of criminals pulling off heists.

DarkLordoftheFins and QueenSabe7 like this.
  18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I skipped Unity, so I did not know that. Well, have a look at the Teutonic Order and their crusade into the East maybe. Excellent stuff!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  19. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I don't blame you, beautiful city but poor overall story.

When typing "Teutonic Eastern Crusade" into the search bar I get either the Northern Crusades, or the Prussian Crusade. Both of which occurred a century prior to where I'd like to set the game.

The reason I want to set it after the formal disbandment of the Templars is because I feel having the them wearing giant red targets on their chest might take away some of the mystic from the game. Their secret influence over the world around them has a lot of potential, and searching them out is part of the fun.

However; The Teutonic order was involved in a war with Poland around the time I'd like to set the game. That conflict could certainly be a chapter in the RPG, as it does sound interesting.

I'm starting to draft an outline. Can't be sure exactly when I'll get it up, but hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    The crusade was probably the wrong hint, in the 14th century they were at the height of their power, ruling vast areas in the east and waging war on Poland, Lithuania and Novogorod. Just thought they might be a good addition to the templars when you aim for German territories. They also had strong ties to the "Hanse", the arguably most powerful organisation after the church in those days. So just something that came to my mind.

Anyway, feel free to ignore. Looking forward to see that OP.

21. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    5/11
    Oh, its definitely a good idea. I've already got how I want the game to start figured out.
    As well as a general idea of where I want it to end. (Things can always change if it becomes very popular.)

Just need to fill in the points in between. Those events can certainly be in play.:D

5/18
    Wow, this thread has been quiet the last week. Creativity drying up guys?:p

Anyways, I've spent the time doing research for my game, and going through drafts for my potential Assassins Creed game. (As well as a possible OOC thread).

Here's what I got, and personally I like the look of it.

Openning Post
    From the shadows, the Assassin watched as his enemy was led to the stake.
    Years of planning have led to this moment, their chance to be rid of this foe once and for all.
    A cool breeze ruffled his cloak, and he glanced up at the platform, where the King of France sat in attendance.
    Phillip the Fair had proven a faithful ally to their order; and by his side Pope Clement had done his part.

Dusk had long since fallen on the land, when the condemned were tied to their posts.
    There was a look of resolve in their leaders eye, one the Assassin could respect.
    The warriors had not broken easily, only after hours of torture had they given the confession that was sought.
    Nasty business to be sure, but necessary if they were to eliminate the tyrants.

This war has been waged since the dawn of time. The Assassin thought, as a flame was lit.
    Could this really be the end of it? Deep down he very much doubted it.

Even if this decapitation strike cripples them, it will take many years to erase their public image from continental Europe.
    No easy task, to say the least. But he, and his brothers, were ready.

Finally, Jacques De Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templar Spoke.
    “Pope Clement! Hear me!”
    He stood unwavering, even proud, before those who had ordered his death.
    “Before this year is out, you will answer for your crimes before God almighty!”
    Did he know it was the Assassins that orchestrated his downfall?
    “And you, King Phillip, no punishment is too heinous for the great evil you have inflicted upon the temple!”
    They looked on cruelly, as the man was engulfed in flame.
    “I curse you! Curse you to the thirteenth generation of your blood!!”
    The Assassin, Thomas De Carneillion did not waver, even as a shiver went down his spine.
    The mans dying screams echoed across the palace garden.
    “You shall be cursed!!!”

[​IMG]

Assassins Creed: The Unseen Strife
    This Game is set in 14th century Europe.
    Beginning in the summer of 1315,
    (Approximately one year after Jacques de Molay
    was burned at the stake.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Assassins and Templar's have been waged in an endless war, since time immemorial. With the formal disbandment of the Templar Order, and the subsequent execution of their leadership the Assassins believe their long time foe's have been defeated once and for all.
    Unfortunately they may soon learn that a war of ideology does not end so easily.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    “Nothing is True, “May the Father of
    Everything is Permitted.” Understanding Guide us.”

The Assassins Are the freedom to the Templar's Tyranny,
    The Templar's are the Order to the Assassins Anarchy,
    They are forever intertwined, their conflict hidden from History,
    Neither will surrender until the other is Destroyed,
    Many of them are left in the eternal Void,
    In war, their skills they Hone,
    Their battles are Unknown,
    With a glance to the past we might Glean,
    Their strife Unseen.

Ranks
    Assassins
    Mentor/Assassin Leader (Restricted to NPC) Master Assassin
    Veteran
    Warrior
    Apprentice
    Initiate
    Templar
    Grand Master/Templar Leader (Restricted to NPC)
    Master Templar
    Advisor
    Commander
    Knight
    Disciple

Your Rank Primarily denotes who your immediate supervisors are, how much independence you will receive on missions, as well as how much weight your voice will carry in your chosen order.

Details
    • The First Couple weeks will be devoted to sign up.
    • The main location for this RPG is the Holy Roman Empire, in what today is northern Germany. Even as this brotherhood is based there, we will have all of Europe to explore, and your character may be sent anywhere on the continent for their missions.
    • Because it is set in The Holy Roman Empire, it is expected most characters will be of primarily Germanic origin. It is not required however, as long as you can think of a reason to justify coming from some place else.
    • An in depth knowledge of the lore concerning the Assassins Creed series is NOT required for entry in the game. If you are interested, feel free to join. If you lack any significant experience with the games it is encouraged you start as an initiate so you might learn on the job.
    • We don't need to keep things completely historically accurate, but an attempt must be made to avoid glaring contradictions. Weapons, clothes, and such should fit the time period.
    • While you may join either faction if you see fit, the Assassins are the primary protagonists of the game.
    • During Sequence One, all Templar's will be disciples. (After which you may jump to your chosen rank).
    • Dual Hidden blades are restricted to Master Assassins.
    Rules
    1. No God Moding.
    2. Keep things civil.
    3. If you want to move, or kill an important NPC discuss it with me beforehand. This game allows great liberty with how you achieve your goals, but certain constraints must be made for story telling purposes.
    4. If a player gets lost to Real Life for any significant period of time I reserve the right to control their character to keep things moving.
    5. Stay within the rules of the boards.
    Character Sheet
    Name: What is your character called?
    Appearance: Describe the look of your character. Clothes, hair, etc.
    Weapons: What tools do you posses to aid you in defending yourself, and killing targets?
    Allegiance: Are you an Assassin or a Templar? (Or which faction will you be more inclined to join?)
    Specialty: What does your character specifically bring to your chosen faction? Are you a mercenary captain? The leader of the local brothel? An adviser to a Duke or King? Basically anything goes here, just be aware of what other people are as well. The Templar's don't need ten Assassin Hunters, and the Assassins don't need an army of merchants.
    Family: Are you married? Do you have kids? As long as you have passed on your genes death will not necessarily be the end of the game for you!
    Ancestry: Primarily for background, offer a few sentences on where your characters ancestors came from. (Any notable First Civilization Genes goes here).
    Biography: Offer a description of your characters journey up to this point. What led you here?

Condensed CS
    Name:
    Weapons:
    Allegiance:
    Specialty:
    Family:
    Ancestry
    Biography:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  22. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    A long time ago I talked about trying GMing a Star Wars game here and look ... I finally posted one for your consideration!

23. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Oh I had overseen this OP. There is only one thing missing ... WHERE does the game take place? Otherwise it looks damned nice!

@RachelTyrell Welcome back and I have a look at your game!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  24. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    You're right. In truth I actually thought of that a week or so ago, but for whatever reason dismissed it as a concern.
    I fixed that by adding it under the details section.

I figured it will be primarily Historical earth for a genre. The Sci-Fi elements won't be front and center. (At least not right away, things may change as we get further in the game)
    AC just fits into so many different categories it threw me through a loop briefly as I put the finishing touches on the game.

This week I'm devoting to my other games update. But I should be able to get this one up some time next week.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  25. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Would anyone be interested in a game set in the DOOM Franchise?
    [​IMG]