main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Bezos was that guy, thankfully ;), I wonder if there will be a lot more Blue Origin references now.

[​IMG]

darthcaedus1138 and Kylun like this.
  2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've been reading a bunch of old DC war comics, and the genre of 'soldiers fighting dinosaurs' should never have been abandoned.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    [​IMG]

4. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    So, the announcement that IDW was rebooting is continuity of Transformers comics made me go on a kick rereading most of it, and I have to say.

Last Stand of the Wreckers isnt just the best Transformers series ever. It's one of the greatest comics ever period. Nick Roche is a god.

It also helps that unlike Watchmen, or DKR where every time the property is revisited its embarrassingly bad, Sins of the Wreckers is also a great sequel that builds on the original well. So exicted for the Finale to the Wreckers saga coming out this Wednesday.

(Also this isnt really a hot take but Millers art is trash, not just in DKR2 but the original. horrifically ugly stuff.)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And the follow-up on it in MTMTE is great.

6. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I read Volcanosaurus issues #1 and #2 today. They were bad. But I loved the idea! The idea being "fire-breathing dinosaurs hurled from the mouth of Mount St. Helens like flaming meteors onto the town below". I think I'll draw some of my own.

[​IMG]

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So @LelalMekha alerted me that the Chewie MG book features none other than the daughter of Imperial Advisor Sim Aloo as the primary antagonist. Alinka Aloo lives on one of the highest towers of Coruscant, has an impossibly luxurious apartment that looks like an art gallery, and has a golden Tooka with a jewel-encrusted collar and headdress. (This is all stuff basically in the first chapter or two — there’s more cool stuff later, but spoilers.)

This is wild and I have to wonder if the new canon is basically just reading my mind at this point when they’re coming up with ideas.

I think I’ll use that golden tooka as my icon for a bit, in celebration. Never cared for tookas before but now? Sure!

Once I finish the book I’ll head to the thread to discuss.

8. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    After Wreckers, on a whim I went back and read the discussion threads for the Kotor Comic. Its a fascinating look into history. Funny to. Pretty much everyone at one point or another assumes certain cast members will end up members of the Sith Triumvirate. Jarael=Exile gets thrown around a decent bunch to, and everyone and there mom calls Demagol.

Other Observations

-You can always tell when a Legacy issue with Cade being an ******* has recently released because the opposing Kotor thread will be filled with Praise and Thanks for Zayne being a good lad and nothing like him

-Nobody calls how Revan got his mask or how they would solve the seeming timeline plot hole with the massacre.

-Also nobody called Alec being Malak till the finale for Flashpoint. This one was actually really surprising to me. Apparently just having hair is that effective

-The Adasca arc was seen as a bit fillerish at the time, which is hilarious in hindsight.

-All but like one person jumps on the Zayne/Jarael ship from the second she shows up and all she has done at that point is beat him up and yell at him. lol (same tho there the best)

- I don't think there is a single negative comment said about Gryph throughout all 50 threads. Zayne/Jarael are beloved as well but there our occasional arguments about what certain commentators would prefer they do. But not with Gryph, every second he is on screen and everything he does is met with universal love AS IT SHOULD BE

- People get ever so slightly down after Vindication ends, but the second Jarael calls herself a slaver all the enthusiasm comes back. Probably helps also that the next issue is Masks and that broke peoples brains in a good way.

This was real fun, makes me kinda shocked there has never been a reread thread here for it or Legacy(unless I missed them?) Sorta wanna do one myself maybe. If there was any interest that is. Maybe JJM would notice and come by to answer questions.

Either way, fun and funny

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    You definitely should. I considered it a year or two ago but just didn't have time, plus all my old issues are in cardboard boxes buried under other cardboard boxes and it would be a hassle. Same with Legacy, though I did go through Legacy Vol. II last year.

And whoo boy, the Adasca arc seemed to drag forever at the time.

In other news, watching the new Arrested Development Season 5. There's an episode where George-Michael reprises his imitation of Star Wars Kid (as seen in the trailer for the season) and Ron Howard notes that it was inspirational for a later Han Solo origin movie.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Speaking of KOTOR, could we all agree that in a live-action iteration, Grant Gustin would be the best actor to play Zayne Carrick? This just struck me out of the blue after reading that post and now I can't see it any other way.

Mia Mesharad and Slater like this.
  11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The KOTOR comic [face_love]...timeless classic Star Wars stuff.
    He's got the looks, but regardless of who would portray Zayne in live-action, the actor needs to be able to pull of a very, very likeable protagonist that is clumsy, goofy and heroic, all at the same time. Also, Grant Gustin is 28 years old, while Zayne is 19 at the beginning of the comics and we see him last when he's in his early twenties. That shouldn't be too much of an issue though, as thirty year old's portraying teenagers is not uncommon in Hollywood.

12. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Amon_Amarth likes this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Watching a bit more of Arrested Development Season 5 - there's almost a mini Jurassic World reunion in one episode. Bryce Dallas Howard plays herself at a Howard family party, and Judy Greer plays Ron Howard's assistant, but they don't actually cross paths.

Also I'm pretty sure Ron Howard was just green-screened into the party scenes. Funny to think that between his two 2018 projects, Arrested Development might be the one that wins in the green-screen department. It feels that way, at least.

14. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Links for the link god?

15. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Aww the days of KOTOR comics. [face_love] When people were inexplicably obsessed with the Ithorian... with a GUN? thing... :p

That's when he introduced himself as Alek, he was called Squint before.

Ok, now I wanna re-read some of KOTOR/Legacy threads.

@Slater did you happen to notice what was people's impression of Vector at all? I recall lots of excitement, but ending up disappointed.

spicer likes this.
  16. Slater

Oct 12, 2014
    People don't really like the art much (same tbh, Zayne's neck is skinny and long in a way thats scary)

Other then that, there is alot of discussion about Morne and her morality. People also miss Jarael.

Enthusiasm sags a bit for 2 and 3 but it was a mostly well received ending in 4. Cause people like Cassus and his nukes and "ALL THE WARRIORS" show up at the end and promise to help Zayne take the fight to the Covenant and not just run away from them anymore, which got people excited.

As far as I can tell, the Kotor/Legacy parts of Vector seem to be mostly well received despite some flaws because Vector moved both Myth Arcs along, but it wasn't a total success.

Dunno how much that has to do with the Vector sections of the other 2 comics.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, Vector was unexpectedly the finale of Rebellion, which I think colors it a bit - it's a strange ending for the series, plus it doesn't really get to be built off of like the other three series. I also remember that Rebellion #14 ended with the Rebel Fleet going to Ansion for some mission, which I thought was going to be setup for Vector... and then Rebellion #15 (the first Vector issue) begins with them going, "Well, we just got back from our Ansion mission!" I feel like that was kind of a wasted tease of a story idea.

The other thing too is the Rebellion/Dark Times Vector stories were only two issues, as opposed to the four issues of KOTOR/Legacy, so it gave those segments more time to develop stuff that would have an impact.

Dark Times at least had Vector answering the question of what the Uhumele's mystery cargo was.

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The only problem with KOTOR: Vector was the art. I had no issues with the story. Thankfully, the rest of Vector had fantastic artwork.

Dr. Steve Brule and Vialco like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me an' me mates are right now playing a game of MAGE set in London where I'm an big-city shaman (Dreamspeaker) that talks to the spirits of and in the city, everything from plant and animal spirit, to architecture and technology spirits, to human spirits, fey and genii loci.

I was wondering if people that know something about London have any suggestions on things my character should know, be interested in and/or stay away from?

jSarek likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, train delay, pain in the arse, train's left Stratford, 10mins late, driver slips this into the usual 'company apologises for the delay' announcement he's obliged to make:

Once we get past Maryland, we'll make the jump to lightspeed and make up some time

Kylun, jSarek, Vthuil and 1 other person like this.
  21. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    You know the At-at in ROTJ? Why doesn’t it ever do anything?

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

...There's an AT-AT in ROTJ, but it doesn't do anything for the fairly obvious reason that a giant walker isn't really well-suited for use in a dense forest.

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    This might be of interest.

Amon_Amarth and Gamiel like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    FALLOUT HAS RETURNED!

Senator Wan, MrDarth0 and Kylun like this.
  25. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    On the one hand, this confirms Bethesda is finally showing signs of life again outside of ESO (and don't get me wrong, Elder Scrolls is definitely in my top 10 fandoms, and Dragon Breaks are a brilliant IU continuity fix) ...

OTOH, the cynic in me can't help but think this game is going to be accompanied by some RL IPO for Vault-Tech. [face_plain]

... or, we might finally hear something about ES VI: Whatever Province We've Not Visited Yet. :p

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Charlemagne19 likes this.