main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Also more reason to be a Jets fan.

David Tepper really does not like Trump. I hope he follows a lead similar to Christopher Johnson.

I was a military kid and I love sports, but I still don’t think co-opting sports events as military spectacles is OK.

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    That would make me exceedingly happy.

I tapped out on the NFL 2 yrs ago. The NFL has yet to make me question my decision. I will never forgive the Obama administration for signing off on allowing the DoD to propagandize the country in the 2008 NDAA.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Wouldn’t that be the W administration? Or do you mean 2009?

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well he put on a mask and went into a mall brandishing a replica of an AK-47 , obviously that's gonna create a panic .
    I don't know about the woman on campus , do you have a link ?

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    SateleNovelist11 and Souderwan like this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Me too. I hope it happens very often.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    @KnightWriter it was a CR of the 2008 NDAA. The original was passed under the Bush administration and went through like March of 2009 or something. Anyway, it was one of Obama's first swats at the DoD monster. He could have (and should have) refused to sign the CR given the massive amount of objectionable stuff in it (propaganda, extraordinary rendition, expanded drone program, reauthorization of a bunch of programs spawned from the Patriot Act that trample on civil liberties, etc). It was a nakedly political decision born from the hope (I suppose) that the GOP would support him in follow on legislation.

Anyway, once the US Government decided it was perfectly legal to engage in propaganda again, we're here.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Sterling Brown arrest video has been released and it is bad bad bad. I'm honestly surprised that Brown didn't get murdered.

Pensivia and Healer_Leona like this.
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    And apparently the guy who was initially called the police on showed up too... wearing this. :cool:

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah. Kind of a tossup on any given day whether or not a person of color will get simple abuse of power, or a death sentence.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This link is about her claiming to be the victim of racism [face_plain]
    http://www.newsweek.com/kent-state-graduate-ar-10-gun-campus-racism-ohio-school-college-931547

Other iterations of the story recount her marriage proposals.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I have Forrest Whitaker eye.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This might be of interest

Also this episode 4 of 'Embedded: Coal Stories' talk about blacks in coal country

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So Roseann said a thing, and there were consequences
    o_O[face_coffee]

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I know I don't speak for all of my melanin-deficient brethren, but I'm not afraid of other ethnicities getting something I don't have. I think there's enough out there for us all. Also enough BS for us all to deal with as well. I believe in equal opportunity sharing. So we all need to take a bite of both the good pie and the BS pie.

But then I was also taught to share. Sooo...

Link

I think this whole, "White people become more authoritarian the more equality advances," is mostly a Boomer thing here. However, Europe seems to throw away that hypothesis.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Greg Hill Jr. was shot and killed after a noise complaint because the police officer deemed him to be an imminent threat. He partially opened his garage door and then closed it. Yes, he had an (unloaded) gun. Yes, he was drunk. But how can you be an imminent threat from behind closed doors?

Oh, it gets worse.

Of course, the police officer faced no criminal charges; so the deceased’s mother sued the officer and the sheriff for wrongful death and excessive use of force. From the article:

After 10 hours of deliberation last week, a jury found that Newman was not liable in Hill's death and that Mascara was 1% liable. Hill was 99% responsible for his own death, the jury ruled, according to court documents.

In deciding damages in the case, the jury awarded Bryant $1 for funeral expenses, and $1 for each child's "loss of parental companionship, instruction, and guidance and ... mental pain and suffering," verdict forms show. Hill's children are 7, 10 and 13.

Because the jury found that Mascara was only 1% responsible, the verdict was reduced to 4 cents, and then, because the jury found that Hill was drunk at the time, the final payout was nothing.

17. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    There comes a point where you just want to scream.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This might be of interest: NPR Code Switch - Of Bloodlines and Conquistadors
    "Hispanos have lived side by side the Pueblo people for centuries—mixing cultures, identities and even bloodlines. But recently, tensions have risen among the two populations over Santa Fe's annual conquistador pageant, known as La Entrada, which celebrates the arrival of the Spanish."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    There has been a report that there are nearly 5000 dead in Puerto Rico from last seasons hurricane, the next hurricane season is only a couple months away, and there has been a collective [face_dunno]

I wonder why that is?[face_whistling]

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Not every country has a problem with people of colour being shot. Only one has a problem with a proliferation of firearms and a pervasive use of them, to the point where the right to life is fundamentally worth less than the right to bear arms.

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    This kind of violent, animalistic behavior is why Colin take a knee. These thugs with badges should be in prison.

******* disgusting!

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I saw this the day it happened and . . . um, yeah, couldn't really bring myself to comment. It speaks for itself, I guess. It's monstrous and cruel and petty. All the jury would have had to do was find for no damages; doing what they did was a slap in the face to a family, including small children, who are already grieving. It's hard to believe that you could get twelve people to agree to something so vicious and vile. The people on that jury are sociopaths. And racists, I reckon. But for sure sociopaths. One dollar to a seven year old for "loss of parental companionship, instruction, guidance & mental pain and suffering." They just straight said it. That's what the verdict forms say. So, they knew about all those things that the children would be going through . . . and then said they deserved a dollar for it. And then said, actually, you know what, just a penny. They're sick. I hope, through some miracle, actual human emotion is awakened in them and that they're haunted by guilt for the rest of their lives over this evil behavior. Disgusting.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Juliet316, Nobody145, Rew and 4 others like this.
  24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Florida...what a place.

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006