main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #44-49: Mutiny at Mon Cala (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 1, 2018.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Wow.

KikReask likes this.
  2. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Color me unconvinced. At least it's a Mon Calamari colored, but that's like the artist drawing a Cyphari, but calling it a Rodian because the colorist made it green.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The message got to who it would mean the most to. I'm sure others will hear of the message as we have a much bigger fleet come ROTJ.

@The2ndQuest
    5/6 please

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Maybe Rakata are a Mon Cala offshoot in Canon.:p

It was surprisingly emotional seeing King Lee-Char go, particularly his people's reaction to it.

Sly442 likes this.
  6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, it does look like Rakata and their skin colors can range from a red to a brown like that artwork. The artist may of goofed or thought he was being funny when he drew. But realistically they could always come up with some new species that look similar like that EU aliens or claim it was a mutant Mon Cala.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe the canon Rakata are like
    Duros in Legends: They were a space-fairing species, but they were never politically or militarily amibtious, they don't have any tradition of using The Force, and they retreated from the galaxy or went extinct.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rakatan are seemingly canonized in Solo's Visual Guide book by Pablo. Dryden's museum contains Rakatan wraith boxes.

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I just... don't... understand. Mon Cals are drawn totally accurately elsewhere. Sometimes not even seemingly traced. Larrocca is even able to create new and recognizable individual, this isn't even his week spot. And even worst case scenario... googling Mon Cala images to trace would never return that result. What the hell happened here?

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Somehow that noncommittal, equivocal response from Matt Martin is what irks me :rolleyes: and not the drawing. It's perfectly fine to leave it at "script calls it a Mon Cal" and I'm perfectly capable of looking past an art error and pretending it's a Mon Cal. I'm doing it right now! Or if you want to establish that it is indeed a Rakata I'll manage just fine too! Following up a simple response with that degree of waffling is messy and kinda frustrating.

Edited to add: Ah, I'm probably being too pissy about it. Sorry if I am.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    No, I happen to agree. He looked low-key bothered that people might think it's a Rakata... but that's because it looks an awful lot (i.e. completely) like one, so that's entirely justified.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Could have been worse. You could have got the Brevoort, you don't want to get the Brevoort.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This new canon stuff really blows. I like my legends stuff more and more. Sometimes I feel that the best star was done before prior to sale. Once the sale was made, everything that has come out of it is just bbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I can sorta understand how he might be getting tired of getting constantly asked whether this recanonized some famous EU thing - but in this particular case, it can't be that hard to just say "Whoops, art error."

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    True, but it's a really weird art error given that (I know I'm repeating myself) for all the artist's faults, he demonstrably can draw Mon Cals and a reasonable variety thereof. The fact that what he drew instead was something that was inevitably going to draw fan attention makes me think that the terse response probably reflects internal friction as well as irritation at the fans. In any case, if it takes RakataGate to force a rethinking of the art team, I'm okay with that.

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I do think it's unfair to be irritated at fans for, well, recognizing something for exactly what it is.

AV-6R7, revan772 and darklordoftech like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The problem with it being a misdrawn Mon Calamari is that it looks identical to another species that is part of the same intellectual property. Would a misdrawn thing 1 really just so happen to look identical to thing 2?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, all you really have to do to transform a Mon Cal head into a Rakata head, at least superficially, is stick the eyes out some.

Though I'm inclined to agree with FiveFireRings that it's more likely Larroca's 'artistic shortcuts' coming back to bite him.

19. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    imo this is just the comic version of the Millennium falcon showing up for like a second in Star Trek First Contact, a fun easter egg for the fans
    edit: okay didn't see the second page before replying, he isn't just in the background in that one :p

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah this was a solid issue (And I even found the art less egregiously tracey as before), the build to Le Char's final speech and death was just great. And, hey, we got Mon Calamari battle armor, that was fantastic.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    General Melchett is posting in a SW thread?

22. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, needless to say, I have a hunch issue #49 will make me very, very happy. :cool:

This arc seems to be implying that the Rebellion didn't have any (or at least many) Mon Cala cruisers until they obtain the merchant fleet. I'm okay with this, provided they don't contradict the fact that we already know that the Rebels had access to some (Profundity, Home One) prior to this. Hell, we already saw Home One in an earlier issue of the ongoing. I know this sounds nitpicky, but I'd like some acknowledgment of this. The Telaris yards have been active for 2+ years at this point, possibly longer.

--Adm. Nick

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Holy hell, how you are not comatose with joy at this image Nick?
    [​IMG]

25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Clearly a significant space battle is about to occur. If we don't get a cameo of Hera and the Ghost after they teased it a few issues back, i'll be severely disappointed. This comic is about the "big 3" but still, it would be a missed opportunity for the connectivity of the new canon. The cameo in Rogue One was basically an advert (it's obvious, the show was still running indefinitely) having it here would be a confirmation that Lucasfilm is confident in their new characters.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018