main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    What? She told Han straight up they could never be together or they would be hunted down and killed by Crimson Dawn. She was owned by the organization and was a slave to it who was literally branded and could never leave it or she'd be killed by its enforcers. She had no choice but to stay and she saved Han's life by doing so because she wasn't selfish enough to risk his life to leave with him. Not only that, she risked her life to lie to Maul about what really happened with Vos so that Han could escape with no bounty on his head. She clearly loved Han and wanted to leave with him but would be dooming both their lives if that happened. How could Han feel betrayed? She made endless sacrifices of her own happiness so he could live free.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    MrDarth0 and vncredleader like this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    You clearly have a different take on her actions than other people do though. For example, I didn't see it as her "sacrificing" herself for Han. She just seemed opportunistic. Also people have done the "we cannot be together because they'll kill us" cliché in fiction before, and yet there's always a way out. So I don't really buy that there's NOWHERE in the SW galaxy as vast as it is where they could hide. Nor do I really buy that Crimson Dawn would waste tons or time and resources looking for one person, and they could always just fake her death anyway.

Basically you read complete selflessness in her actions, whereas I and others do not.

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think Clarke's acting in that moment sells the opportunistic angle of Qi'ra's choice. Going from all smiles to a hardening of the eyes and a ruthless, dispassionate expression taking over. Kinda reminded me of moments like Derek Jacobi's transition from the good Professor Yana to the evil Master simply with a change of expression.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Agreed, Maul doesn't know who Han is regardless of whether Qi'ra called up or not. She'd endanger him by being seen with him, but she still could have run away on her own.

wobbits and jSarek like this.
  5. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    That's fair, I just thought that they made it clear in her conversation with Han that she felt it was impossible they could ever be together so that option was never on the table for her. Regardless of what exactly her motivation was in the final scenes, it can't be denied that IMO she showed she deeply loved Han when she let Han sabotage the mission putting her life at risk with Vos, killed Vos because he was threatening Han, let Han get away with millions of credits of fuel, and lied to Maul about Han's involvement so he could walk free without a bounty of his head. Not only that, she kept his dice for three years and told Han whenever she thought of him it made her smile, and looked miserable in her final shot flying away from him.

Also, didn't Beckett specifically say that the Crimson Dawn will send out enforcers to hunt someone down and kill them if they ever betray the organization?

Also, this interview by the editor is interesting - originally he wanted to make Qi'ra go with Maul willingly, but then in the end decided it would be better if she went with him out of fear.

The thing is, I think it had to do with the surprise element, the dialogue between Maul and Qi’ra, and really, what is his presence? How does it effect what Qi’ra is doing? I think the original scene was a little… I don’t know. It was fine, but there were certain things that they wanted to change dialogue-wise, saying less, and creating a little more fear in Qi’ra. It was [originally] too simplistic; she easily goes with this villain. I think Ron wanted to get a little more depth and layers in the performance, because it’s a devil’s pact taking this on.

My guess is they may have originally wanted her to be more of an opportunist ambitious career climber but then thought the audiences might not like seeing masculine hero Han dumped, so it would be better to do the "We're only not together because we'll be hunted down and killed if we leave together" star crossed romance.

Well, once Vos' dead body was found Maul would try to find out who did it, and it wouldn't be hard to figure out that it was Beckett and his crew which included Han and Chewie, and Qi'ra if she disappeared along with the crew. By lying to Maul about what happened Qi'ra spared Han from Maul sending enforcers after him.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If there's a specific betrayal meant to be a "this is why Han is cynical" moment - which I actually rather disagree rather strongly with - I kinda feel like wouldn't it be Beckett's more than Qi'ra's?

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't understand why people think that Han Solo was supposed to be cynical and jaded at the end of the movie. When we last see him and Chewie, he's in pretty good spirits, excited for what comes next.

wobbits, Daneira and seeker_two like this.
  8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well I think it's more a matter or the fact that we know how he will become, and so people are wondering how these events play into that. Personally I feel he should have been a bit less happy at the end, but even still I do think the stuff with Beckett will inform the cynical a-hole we meet in ANH

kalzeth and Outsourced like this.
  9. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    He only knew him for a few days - why would his betrayal cut him that deep?

Also, I understand that Crimson Dawn is evil but I kind of understand why Beckett did what he did. Han was going to give away all their fuel to Enfys Nest, which would mean Vos would definitely kill them, as he promised he would if they didn't come back with the fuel. So it was either betray them or be killed by Vos.

kalzeth and Charlemagne19 like this.
  10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well Beckett took him under his wing and kinda have him the chance to be free finally. I think even if he did not know Beckett well, being betrayed by him was essentially like seeing the worst parts of yourself

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, inasmuch as I think this at all, it's partially because of what you already said: Qi'ra did in fact save his life and go out of her way to protect him from Vos; Beckett, on the other hand, after "just" seeming to walk out - which Han was disappointed in but understood - only to then come back and outright sell them out seems like it'd be more of a blow. But really, the fact that Han did anticipate and prepare for it is why I have trouble buying the notion of the film being "an origin of Han's cynicism" in the first place.

12. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I mean Beckett pretty much told him straight up to expect him to betray him, just like Littlefinger did to Ned. And Han anticipated it which is why they came up with the plan so the actual betrayal couldn't have come as much of a shock. Though I still have no idea what their plan was to get the real fuel out of there to give to Enfys Nest...anyone else know?

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Why was Luke so torn up about the crazy old wizard he knew for, what, a day? Two?

Also, consider the first time Han sees Beckett: standing on the frontlines, spinning his blasters and looking cool as all hell. Han hero-worships him from that point onwards, because Beckett's exactly the gunslinging scoundrel Han wants to be (or thinks he already is).

wobbits, BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Because he's cynical, jaded, and a merciless non-idealistic mercenary in A New Hope.

Even if he didn't shoot first.

:D

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I know what people were expecting.

But he isn't that at the end of Solo.

wobbits likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Its the origin which includes everything but Han becoming Han in personality.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    We still have time for that to develop. There's no doubt we'll see a SOLO II in a few years. I hope it's an adaptation of HAN SOLO'S REVENGE that has Crimson Dawn as the big bad manipulating events instead of the Corporate Sector Authority.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wobbits, Sarge and kalzeth like this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Given the massive bomb it's turned out to be, I somewhat doubt that.

19. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Agreed. Why couldn't Disney have just spun off a different set of Anthology films--Star Wars animation or something like that? They would be lower cost animated films, not worry about having to get actors trying to look like the OT stars, and make a series of them--Han Solo animated chronicles or something like that. The lower budget would mean that they wouldn't lose as much.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The movie wouldn't have cost nearly as much if they didn't have to reshoot the vast majority of it. You can do a good, high quality Star Wars movie, in live action, for relatively cheap. I mean, R1's budget was only around 219 million.

wobbits and Jedi Princess like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Depends on the Star Wars story too. You could easily do a Star Wars story on, say, the Space Titanic or on Tatooine.

Outsourced likes this.
  22. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Those books or whatever Lando was writing about himself... was that an implication that the Legends-verse is in-universe fiction in the New Canon-verse?

Well that's a mind-kriff.

seeker_two and Sarge like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Han spent the last 3 years of his life fighting for the ideal of Qi'ra- of coming back to save her so they could fly off together and be happy on the run. He then thinks he's achieved that (or at least thinks that he can still convince her) and, instead, she lies to him and takes off to leave him behind. He doesn't know if she did anything to save Han from being blamed by Maul like we, the audience, do.

It (and Beckett's betrayal and death) are a step towards being bitter and distrustful, but he still has another 10 years of adventures and betrayals to become like he is in ANH.

Maul no longer was in control of Crimson Dawn by time of Rebels. He had been stranded on Malachor for an unknown period of time- and even when he escaped, he wasn't shown to have any minions at his disposal to reconnect with. And one he was given the vision showing him where he could find Kenobi (and how to use Ezra to lure him out of hiding), he pursued it himself because that's all he could ever do (and was obsessed over doing).

24. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Maybe he should have listened when she told him several times they could never be together because they would be hunted down and killed? If he can't figure out that she saved his life by letting him leave with millions of credits of fuel and then staying behind to face off against the organization that the movie tells you several times hunts down and kills betrayers then he's an idiot. She wasn't lying to him to hurt him, she was trying to get him to leave so that he could go on and live his life free without a bounty on him unlike the trapped life she was forever a slave to. Just like how in the beginning of the movie she tells him to run and escape while she's trapped. If he's too dumb to recognize the sacrifice she made, that's his problem.

And while I can understand him feeling initially betrayed that she lied to him, after thinking about it for a while he should have figured it out when he thought back to their conversation in the desert.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Your analysis requires Han to fear/care about being hunted by the organization that he just pulled a fast one over on. It's shown right up until the end that Han doesn't care about living on the run as an outlaw- it's what he's done his whole life. He's arrogant and lucky enough to have gotten away with it and believes he can continue to do so. He doesn't see Qi'ra as having done him any favors.

wobbits, jSarek, Sarge and 2 others like this.