main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's "the hook" that Lucasfilm will be betting on, which sells Ep IX as a must-see blockbuster?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tyrian, May 27, 2018.

1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Nice! See THAT'S how you spin it to make it exciting!

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  2. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    It's not as if there is nothing left to be answered in EP IX infact there are too many questions to be answered. Mainly how it all turned to status quo after Luke and co defeated the emperor and redeemed Vader. Again who the hell is snokey ?
    I think it's just the feeling that we won't be getting any answers that makes the fans underwhelmed.

The comparison with emperor not having backstory is not valid. That was start of the saga and anyways Vader was the guy. Snoke came out of nowhere in a universe sufficiently expanded.
    U can't just throw in a bad guy with force powers like Snoke and say "I'm snoke **** u all" with no explanation who he is especially after what happened in the saga so far.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Sithblade11 and Palp_Faction like this.
  3. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    The hook has to be something surprising. Something that wraps up this trilogy and the entire 9 story arc. Something like Rey having flashbacks to her previous life....as Darth Vader.[face_devil]

AusStig and Jedha like this.
  4. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Snoke is perfect for bringing back with essence transfer in clones like The Emperor in Dark Empire. The visual dictionary says his body damage is natural, maybe the reason why i that he is using a cloned body. It would also explain how he is so old.

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    We really never got to see Luke the Jedi master in TLJ. If the film ended with him not dying, and the falcon returning to the island to pick him up, that would have been a great hook for IX. Giving us a message that while the Resistance has almost been wiped out, at least they still have an alive Jedi Master that can make Rey into a Jedi Knight and help the cause against the First Order in other ways.

6. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Nute Gunray has more character depth and a story arc in the PT than Snoke in the ST.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I like your take. It makes it interesting with possibilistic stuff, not straight out fan fiction.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  8. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    - Marketed as The Final Chapter of the Skywalker Saga
    - Lots of Lightsabers, Rey, Kylo, Knights of Ren
    - Gigantic space battle bigger than anything ever in Star Wars
    - Luke in the trailer somewhere

AusStig likes this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I personally think that IX needs Forceback sequence that stirs up the emotions as the Snape/Penseave sequence in Harry Potter 8. I think they can rig up a younger Han, Leia, and Luke to conjure strong emotional heartstrings to give Kylo somewhat of a sentimental backstory that also involves Snoke and MAYBE even Rey. That scene in HP8 was one of the most talked about, most praised, and clearly the most emotional scene in the series and is probably what propelled it to such a high rating. It would be a beautiful way to wrap up the series and then they can close it out nicely as a tribute to the SW saga.

As for a "hook" I think the whole idea that Rey doesn't know her WHOLE story. That "there's more to this girl than she realizes" is a GREAT way to create mystery.

And there certainly is more to her. Anyone who thinks that what Kylo said is the full truth is nuts. Especially with JJ taking the reigns in IX.

wobbits, Jedha and AhsokaSolo like this.
  10. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    Lens Flares

rorow1 and Herald of Mandos like this.
  11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    This is exactly what I believe should happen. There are several stories that need a closure: The Chosen One arc, the Empire rise to power, and the Jedi Order destruction. IX needs to close them all.

12. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Kylo is in complete control as the Emperor of the galaxy, despite the best efforts the Resistance is finished.
    Rey decides the only option is to join him in the hope she can temper his evil. She becomes his Dark Side cohort and they rule the galaxy together and the film ends when they find out they are expecting twins

In 18 years time in Episode 10 these twins are the New Hope :)

Dark Empress Rey

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

AusStig likes this.
  13. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    9 trailer could have teased the rise of his X-Wing from the waters. But I guess not.

I was all for Rey turning in TLJ, or at least contemplating it. Luke dealt with more of the dark side than she has imo.

14. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    I think the hook out there is the same one we were left with in TFA, who is Rey? I’m surprised to see so many people offering that Rey’s lineage in TLJ should be “retconned.” I’d be amazed if we learned Kylo was not pulling that out of his you know what and lying to her. Why believe him? He had an agenda and segregating her from any connection she may otherwise realize was the best way to accomplish it. Getting her to join him by offering himself as the only person who understood and related to her was his tactic. He killed his father for crying out loud. He knew from Rey’s confessions during their mind meld (or whatever) that the question of her parentage was her weak point and he went for it.

“This is not going to go the way you think” or whatever the quote. As contrasted to the OT, the big question vis a vis Rey was downplayed in this trilogy’s second act. The big baddy met his end in this trilogy’s second act and not out of compassion or to save someone, but for Kylo to become worse.

This trilogy has departed from some of the normal tactics of the classic three part journey. Lucas followed it very well with the OT and I think it’s disruptive to see this three part act go away from what we expect. I could be totally wrong. However, if they went to the lengths they did in TFA to establish the questions and didn’t have a reveal or twist planned for IX, it would be gross movie making malpractice. We’ll see I guess.

15. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    And then if you watch the movie, it turns out the defining moment was Anakin saving Luke after all (which will be literally stated in the dialogue). Luke is still dead, Rey is still random, and practically everything shown in the trailer is actually part of a dream sequence. Trololololol!

There. Best of both worlds: TLJ fans still happy, while a whole lot of suckers show up for the opening before finding out they've been had. Again. Mission accomplished.:cool:

"Skywalker"? Meaning...

Rey is Luke's daughter?
    Luke is alive?
    Redeemed Ben takes his grandfather's name?
    Rey and Ben marry, build a training academy and begin instructing younglings in the balanced, grey, post-modern hipster view of the Force? Ah, that's it! Their alumni will no longer be called "Jedi"- we're moving beyond that- but "Skywalkers", to honour Luke's legacy (such as it was). Because that's what you do when you're a young couple starting a new religion/philosophy/martial art, you name it after some bitter old loser neither of you liked. It's so beautiful![face_love]

2Cleva, Darth Smurf, Tyrian and 2 others like this.
  16. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    [​IMG]

please @ god, let this happen

FN-2187, 2Cleva and Herald of Mandos like this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes, but the actual burning questions of which there are tons of are exactly the ones that are not likely to be even addressed as being questions in the first place. Even if they are how much time will they realistically get in at max a 2hr and 30m movie?

Answering questions just isn't JJ's thing. He does character emotion of the moment with roller coaster action. His approach to Star Wars is more Indiana Jones. Mysteries just are.

Certain things have to happen so they will and the First Order falling and the defeat of Ren have to be built up to have any tension or meaning. The ease at which they took over means that something will have to be done to make their defeat seem significant or they could just return the next day and take over again. There is nothing at present that places Rey in any danger whatsoever from Ren so that will have to be addressed.

One presumes that JJ had some twist in mind (whether that actually gets explained is another matter) and presumably he wants to somehow tie IX into the larger saga in some way. Since the overarching storyline of I-VI was Anakin vs Sidious, the propecy of the Chosen One and balance of the Force then I'd presume that will figure in some way as well as Luke's place in that story. What was Snoke's plan and purpose? Why did he want Ben Solo so badly? Who is Rey? Why can she do what she can do with no training at all? Why is someone who is not of the Jedi apparently a Jedi?

Tons of details that should have been in TFA and TLJ are not going to make it into IX as there is no time but the larger story arcs must have some inclusion for this ST to have any real meaning as a sequel trilogy. I don't care for TV series that try to save everything for the end because time and again I've seen it not work because the writers are bored or confused and can't possibly fit everything in anyway. They also seem to really believe that it's more about the characters personal emotional states over and above the story as to why they are that way. To me that constantly leads to unsatisfying endings because the story gets lost and confused and without story the characters in themselves simply aren't enough.

If IX is simply about resolving some Rey and Ren issues at it's core and there is no greater story supporting that then it's simply not as good. Luke and Vader in ROTJ is not just about them. There is Sidious, the Force, the Empire vs Rebels and with the prequels context the prophecy of the Chosen One, balance of the Force and the inverted journeys of Anakin and Luke (Anakin's descent and Luke ascent).

Rey and Ren parallel aspects of Anakin in many ways so is that going to be significant? Was Ben Solo turned from his destiny by Snoke and that is why Rey is taking his place? If Ben is becoming so new "Vader" then is Rey to be the new "Anakin"? There has to be some greater story than just their personal interaction. There has to be a purpose and meaning to it like Luke and Vader.

18. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    The lens flares was distracting. How about this. Get Liam Neeson to say " Rey you are not alone, and I will guide you." They said it was an end to a saga, right? What better way is there? Gui-Gon Jinn found Anakin, and it would be fitting if he taught Rey as must as he could in Episode 9.

19. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    Force Ghost lens flares

20. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Throw in some Luke shots of him looking like he's gonna do something far more impactful than what actually happens,.
    A few lightsaber ignitions, Rey will probably have a new one so you're gonna wanna shove that right in everyone's faces.
    Throw in Kylo doing some mysterious looking stuff.
    Throw in Rey doing some cool looking stuff.
    Throw in a few badass KOR shots.
    A Reylo staredown or two.
    Finn and Poe doing...something cool I dunno
    If Anakin shows at all, screw it, put him in the trailer also.
    Yoda aswell.
    Some mysterious, but super climatic sounding quotes.

And finally, John Williams going full orgasmic beast mode overdrive. Hand me my at least a billion.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  21. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Here are some potential hooks:

-Seeing Kylo Ren as the new Supreme Leader / Emperor years later, the atrocities he's committed, his emotional state, how he's shaped the galaxy, etc, what he plans to do, etc.
    -The Knights of Ren, and perhaps a lot more apprentices, all with red lightsabers.
    -A story where the Resistance aims to use a super weapon to bring an end to the First Order, and some of our heroes are trying to find another way (like Finn trying to save the stormtroopers / kidnapped children) before time runs out.
    -A flashback of Snoke's first meeting with Ben, first joining Snoke, etc.
    -Luke and Snoke ghost battle.
    -A tease of Snoke's potential return/resurrection.
    -Ren using force powers we haven't seen before... like mind-control..? Perhaps this could be Kylo Ren's big bad plan.
    -Rey having turned to the dark side.
    -Rey seemingly sacrificing herself.
    -Finn with a lightsaber, as he discovers he too is Force-sensitive.
    -Rey with a dual-bladed lightsaber.
    -Rey and Poe kissing.
    -More Maz Kanata (A Maz / Yoda ghost meeting)
    -Teasing the end of Chewie, R2, and/or C-3PO
    -Seeing Rey and/or Ben at the Skywalker farm on Tatooine, playing into the idea of this being the final chapter of the Skywalker story.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  22. GaiusBaltar6

GaiusBaltar6 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2018
    Here's a hook for Episode IX - Star Wars: The Escape from Nihilism.
    Generation X is the Generation that grew up with Star Wars originally. A New Hope in 1977 didn't have a 'foreseeable hook', but it offered an escapist view of the world, something greater and something to strive for that was unquestionable in it's high moral value - something new, an Awakening per say, that was true, noble and different from any movie, before or since.
    The Last Jedi was almost 180 degrees from this, the anti-"A New Hope", itself offering absolutely no hope at all, showing that Nihilism has, at last, caught up to and conquered Star Wars over the span of 41 years.
    What "hook" can Episode IX bring? Give us that "foreseeable hook" again. Gen X and the Millennials are all too familiar with Nihilism. We see it all around us. What we need is that "New Hope", that escapism that takes us away, back to a high moral value that is unquestionably something greater and something to strive for. THAT is the hook that needs to be replicated so that fans are finally satisfied in the greatest possible way, deep to the core and spiritually, and Disney/Lucasfilm will see BIG DOLLARS again. So, they will be happy too, as a byproduct of the great, great happiness again enjoyed by fans. Siskel & Ebert used to say "Why am I watching this movie?" Well, every movie needs to have that reason why we watch. It just so happened that Star Wars (1977) had the greatest of them all. And just about nothing short of that experience is what Star Wars fandom needs right now.

23. GaiusBaltar6

May 26, 2018
    If I'm at Lucasfilm right now, sitting there in my chair, or JJ Abrams, wondering just how I'm going to do this, then just think about the above - think back to 1977 again, and how can I reclaim this high moral ground, this high spiritual and emotional character captured in this space movie so eloquently? THAT is the challenge. Can we do it with the current crop of characters? If not, then perhaps we should go back to EMPIRE when Luke asks "And sacrifice Han and Leia?" and Yoda replies "To honor what they fight for? Then YES."

24. GaiusBaltar6

May 26, 2018
    Man.. Maybe I should have written a "Treatment" for Episode IX.. Just brimming with ideas right now! :) A New Hope! The greatest awakening/morally high, spiritually uplifting story yet! One that involves all of the current characters and some brand new ones. To make Disney/LFL happy, none of the new characters have to be Skywalkers. LOL Just let me find a word processor, on this, er, let's see - Ah. Word. And just start typing.. :)

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    @GaiusBaltar6 Please do not triple post. Either wait for somebody else to post, or edit your first post to include more text.