main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hux? Hux!?

Wait, you're serious?

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Um....no? I'm trying be humorous through facetiousness. I'm making fun of the fact that Kylo Ren is the one who succeeds Snoke when most in-universe people would expect the obvious successor to be Hux. I suppose the farce has run it's course at this point.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh? I was playing along too - I mean no one takes General Hugs seriously.

4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    They better not kill Lando as well. After Han and Luke (and Ackbar). and Carrie no longer able to be in IX, I don't think my heart could take another beloved OT character dying in the ST. If they want to kill someone, kill Rey or Finn or Rose. Leave OT characters alone!

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    If Christopher Lee could be in The Hobbit, this fella can be in Episode IX.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Fixed it for you.

Ulicus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well...I feel like in some corners this is becoming a thing. So lets make it a thing here and see were it goes.

Hamburger_Time and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Did I miss a memo? Isn't JJ producing Episode XI?

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Producing, Directing and writing.....People are just taking this as Colin being a bit bitter of being fired for some reason.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Some could construe that as Colin throwing shade at the fact that a sequel is ruining a franchise, as some rumours have suggested he was unhappy with what Last Jedi left him.

Anyway, a school of thought for Episode IX is dire because there's no more OT toys left to play with. To that I say, A) freakin' Lando B) freakin' Wedge (he wants in! really! Someone from LFL google it!) C) Chewie! Falcon! Artoo! Threepio! D) honestly, in the third and concluding set of the trilogy, I actually do want to see Finn/Rey & Poe & Kylo (and Hugs!) have to take the ball and run with it the entire movie, it's their turn to fix the galaxy without leaning on the previous OT generation.

not entirely, though. As I said, freakin Lando! And hopefully Wedge too!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    That seems a bit petty and unprofessional.

12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I mean, not to cast aspersions, but when it comes to directors let go from Star Wars and unprofessionalism....

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    He got fired, it happens to people every day.[​IMG]

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    My best advice for anyone out there looking to not get fired from any job is "Don't make The Book of Henry"

15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Can you imagine if Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back were The Adventures of Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, and Yoda? And a sizable chunk of the audience was clamoring for Luke, Han, and Leia to have LESS to do?

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The villain of the entire OT is a prequel protagonist though, which should satisfy PT fans...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

17. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Still, Vader/Anakin has 37:25 of screen time across the entire middle trilogy. Han has 20:30 in The Force Awakens alone (Obi-Wan, his closest analog in the middle trilogy, has 20:45 across all three films).

And I don't think the middle trilogy should focus on those guys. It's why I object to just how big a role the characters who should be secondary now have played.

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The comparison doesn't really work, because it wasn't the middle trilogy in reality. It was the first, where the bulk of the Star Wars audience discovered the franchise and met these characters that they fell in love with. People have been waiting for decades to see them in action again. I can't fault those desiring to see more of it than they've gotten, even though this trilogy isn't for them, but for the next generation.

Regardless, your screen-time numbers have me intrigued. Where do they come from?

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    The thing is the OT Big Three are are cinematic titans. The PT mob are not (save Anakin). I like that Johnson turned the ST's raison d'etre into being "how would the galaxy respond to the story of the Star Wars saga" but they'll have to find a more creative way to forge ahead with that by default.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't think it's the wait. Not really. It's that everyone knows this is the last time the actors who originated these iconic characters will ever get to be these characters.

So, yeah, it's a bit frustrating when people think they should be sidelined. We've got the rest of history to sideline them. This is the one and only window they have left in which to shine.

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    This is why I'm not the biggest fan of the ST. I wanted the ST to be another trilogy with my beloved characters and childhood heroes Luke, Leia and Han. Instead I got Han estranged from Leia and killed by his son, Luke turned into a grumpy hobo and then dying, and Leia regressing back to being a rebel and Carrie dying in real world :_|Even Chewie was delegated into a glorified background character and R2 and 3PO are barely in the movies. And after what they did to the Big 3, I don't even want Lando in IX, cause I'm afraid they're going to regress him into being an irresponsible gambler on some crap hole in the Outer Rim again and then kill him.

I understand the real world reasoning that they wanted new characters to get a new generation of fans and that young people who didn't grow up with the OT would not relate to the old characters that much, but frankly I don't care. This was the last chance to get the old gang back together in a movie and to send them on one final adventure. Now that will never happen...

They could have done the ST with more focus on the old characters without regressing their personalities or killing them and introduce the new characters in the process. For example in VII 70-80% for old, 20% for new, in VIII make it 50/50 and finally in IX 20-30% for old and 70-80% for new as passing of the baton. And then make Episodes X-XII which would be about the new characters. But instead we got what we got.

There's nothing that makes me excited about IX, which makes me very sad. Just the thought of a new SW movie always made me super excited and happy, and now I'm in a state that I'm not even sure I'll go see it in a cinema. End of my rant, as I'm only making myself feel depressed.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Speaking just for myself, but unlike the old characters I don’t care about the new one’s, they just aren’t very interesting. It also doesn’t help when the story is pretty much just a reboot, so comparisons become even more noticeable.

Didn’t Ardnt flat out admit that the reason Luke didn’t show up until the very end of TFA was because he was outshining the new cast. That says a lot right there.

I also find it ironic that a character that Kathleen Kennedy is dead against and won’t have in the Disney Verse is Mara Jade . A highly popular female character [face_thinking]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I tend to feel the same way, ditto for Wedge. "Hey, you know that old guy who survived every battle? We just killed him."

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's my hope they bring Hobbie back after the sudden and inconspicuous death he got. My dream would be they call Michael A. Stackpole back to write a comic like his old X-Wing run, even just one special issue, and Hobbie returns similar to Wedge in Marvel's original "Hoth Stuff!", and the old X-Wing gang are reunited one last time. It would be a sweet final goodbye from Stackpole.

They could still keep him dead if they want. Just have one final story. I don't like how they silently closed the door on that.

On the subject of Episode IX and character deaths, it certainly seems the original intent may have been to have Leia as the "there is another" last hope, like Luke in the OT, but now they may have to do something different if they choose not to focus on Leia. It's ok to pass the torch; that should be an important message. It's even ok to say "things went politically to hell and war returned" after the victory in ROTJ; war always returns, and the heroes have to keep fighting the good fight.

The problem, rather, is that the underlying message is now flawed, at least in its current state. We expect the heroes of the OT to have learned from their experience during those original adventures and be able to tackle the next threat, or at least stand up to it. Neither Han nor Luke did. Han retrograded back to being a despondent criminal on the run. Luke made a mistake and was too guilty/proud of marring the "legend" status he had made for himself in ROTJ that he hid when he was needed most.

One of these alone would have been OK, but having two of the Big Three fall like this is a problem. It gives the sense, especially after the tragedy of the Big Three in the PT, that heroes are destined to fall.

I really love Rey, Finn and Poe, but I don't see them as the new hope anymore. I fear it's only a matter of time (the next 10-15 years?) before they fall as well. Not simply dying, but rather, failing morally.

25. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Popping my bead back in after a long absence, so is it ok to like current Star Wars again yet?