main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What's the fundamental difference? They both stand on the bridge to do their jobs. Han didn't wear a military uniform when he was commanding troops. Therefore I assume your problem with it is that it isn't practicable, in which case I wonder why they need anything other than a dress to walk around a bridge.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So does Ackbar. So does Tarkin. Hell, so does Vader. They still manage to put on uniforms. Han at least wore a military jacket over his usual duds in ROTJ.

Vialco likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...This is just embarrassing to listen to.

5. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    People keep bringing up Mothma because she was also the Commander in Chief of all Alliance forces. While she was the head of the civilian government of the Rebels, she was also the head of their military. Due to her rank at the top of the chain, she was able to wear whatever she wants. Just as a US president is the head of America’s military yet doesn’t wear a military uniform. The Resistance is a strange case however. Just as Holdo doesn’t wear typical military garb, neither does Leia herself in either of the two sequel movies. In TFA she is wearing a modest vest with a casual shirt and trousers, hardly standard military official clothing. In TLJ, she’s wearing formal Senate attire through and through, not to mention her Senate-Gathering-Appropriate, Large-Collared dress on Crait. Even Poe, who is a Wing Commander, does not always wear a uniform. In his down time he wears an old jacket that he doesn’t even like that much. That’s clearly not the official uniform of a trooper or officer based on what we’ve seen in these movies. At the end of the day, what a character wears doesn’t define the character, it’s what they do and how they are that defines them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Thanks. It was saddening to report Desperado cause he is a regular here, but yeah those kinds of comments have no place on the boards, EVER

Senator Wan and Snafu55 like this.
  7. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    What did he do? and or say if I may ask? I didn't see any of it?

8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    He made a death threat towards Rian Johnson and mocked the appearance of D'Acy in a really offensive manner

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    And bashed Holdo (again).

Moving on...

Any ideas on how long the X4 gunships used by the Kessellians are?

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Did the Judicial forces have a small fleet? Because those are the only Republic forces I can imagine that would of faced off against the forces of Admiral Trench in the Battle of Malastare Narrows?
    And I'd imagine many Clone Wars Non-clone Republic Officers came from the Judicial forces and academy like tarkin.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    While a Legends source, we do see a bit of them in the Republic comics
    [​IMG]
    And I think that approach, of them having mostly consular ships that doubled as warships if needed; was intended when the Yularen line was written. We know Anakin and Obi Wan were meant to meet up with the Republic Fleet in the Obi Wan/ Anakin comic.

Senator Wan, MrDarth0 and Snafu55 like this.
  12. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Some of the Imperial star destroyers under construction above Corellia seem to have a plate of armor instead of reactor bulb, so... Tector-class?

13. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    TLJ was an exercise in embarrassing moments, it fits. Even in TFA, I never truly felt like a film didn't feel like it took place in the SW universe, it was derivative and had poor character development of the main lead, but at least the dialogue didn't pull me out entirely. I felt bad for both the self-sacrificing captains in TLJ and ground troops for being led by morons into their doom.
    Happen to have any screenshots?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    crazyewok and seeker_two like this.
  14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    We just got done with a TLJ argument that ended in someone getting banned, do you REALLY think it wise to start that up again?

TK-421 Is vader and Snafu55 like this.
  15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    I didn't see anyone getting banned for arguing something in TLJ was under par. This extends to the behavior and costuming choices for some of the characters, which we, the audience, are told are laudable in some way.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    yeah but still, either way its a discussion that really has no place in this thread, and right as the dust settles is not the time to bring up the reasons you thin its subpar. Like I dislike a lot of stuff in Rebels, but when the thread discusses the Interdictor's usage in that show, I don't stoke the fires of my issues with Ezra's 5 second fall to the dark side in season 3.

TK-421 Is vader and Snafu55 like this.
  17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Sure enough.

Oh, I forgot that, yet another plot-point Rebels fumbled with. What happened to Dave Filoni? I'm cautiously optimistic about the, ugh, Resistance cartoon. If only for seeing a possible E-wing and him referencing post-ROTJ EU in some fashion, like TTT, Dark Empire and the X-wing books/comics. But the guy took a tumble in writing/directing/producing quality as Rebels went on. Maybe ending it so soon was the right choice.

vncredleader likes this.
  18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I think Filoni has a habit of getting overly attached to his characters is the thing. Like that's why certain TCW things ended up becoming so major in Rebels, to the point that stuff like Ezra's fall became secondary. My big hope with Resistance is that it will be just focused on the one character, and his supporting cast will not be with him the whole time, like a has a slicer person who he calls on when needed, and a commando when needed, and so on. That way they don't have to have a character who is around, but given nothing to do. Here's hoping at least

Snafu55 likes this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Like his idol, Timothy Zahn. And it shows. I liked how George wanted to kill off characters and Dave wanted to save them for later.
    I rolled my eyes at Ahsoka showing up in the Rebels epilogue, even though she's not that bad as a character, herself.

Yeah, it's the same reason they kept cameos to a minimum in Rebels and Luke in TFA to the very end, they steal attention away from the main cast. And that just means Filoni and Abrams wrote characters that aren't as interesting as the legacy ones. And even that isn't a guarantee, Hondo was cool when he had his pirate fleet. Hondo + a couple of Ugnaughts = boring. Must have been the Disney influence (funny sidekick and cute animal characters).

Absolutely! The focus which Dave says will be on pilot combat and bringing up his own family's history with that, is very promising. In fact, the premise having nothing to do with Jedi, seems solid. I just hope they can bring some fun battles, since Dave stated he wanted to go back to that again. Rebels had very little beyond fighter skirmishes and season-ending fleet battles.

Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Given the recent Mon Cala arcs, I've been giving thought once again to the evolution of Mon Cala cruisers in relation to the Alliance. There are some noticeable similarities to Legends and distinct differences, in canon we know can safely say the following:
    • Mon Cala merchant navy = cruisers built during or after the Clone Wars
    • Mon Cala city ships = ships that escape Mon Cala during the occupation, are converted into MC75's like the Profundity at Telaris.
    • Mon Cala exploration cruisers = ships like Home One and the Nautilian, sharing hull types with merchant ships but with different role/focus.
    As the current ongoing arc is showing us, the general concept appears to be that city ship and exploration cruiser conversions were of a limited nature and are representative of early MC's in Alliance service, while the bulk of the fleet is acquired via converting the merchant ships that escape. I don't believe that the Liberty-type have been called passenger liners in the new canon, but I don't discount that some could still be that.

We've basically got a situation where the Mon Cala are major shipbuilders of merchant vessels, exploration cruisers, and passenger liners. Their warship construction presumably doesn't occur until sometime after the New Republic comes to power, with the MC85's being the first purpose built warships to come from that world.

I am curious to see where the merchant fleet will be converted. Telaris? Another base? At Mon Cala itself? We still aren't clear in the new canon when Mon Cala was freed of Imperial presence, it's possible that we'll see that in the coming week's issue. The references in Moving Target to the Empire preparing to blockade and eventually destroy Chandrila and Mon Cala implies that the world was free, but this isn't fully clear yet.

--Adm. Nick

21. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I do recall that Interdictor prototypes stop a few Mon Cala passenger liners in the Tarkin novel, but I don't remember if the class had been specified.
    EDIT: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stellar_Vista

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You are correct! We don't have confirmation that those passenger liners were winged cruisers of the Liberty-type, but I'd argue it does open them to that possibility.

--Adm. Nick

Long Snoot likes this.
  23. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Sometimes I’ll poke my head in here and comment when things seem to be getting rough discussion-wise. With that being said...

I think Star Wars spaceships are cool. Who agrees?

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    How difficult would it be to modify a passenger liner to become a warship? I would think that mounting weapons on ships that were never designed to have them would be quite a challenge.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Star Wars space combat is modeled on 18th & early 19th century naval combat and ships. During that period, merchant ships were regularly modified into warships. In the GFFA, modifying ships into warships is regularly presented as being relatively easy.

—Adm. Nick

CaptainPeabody and vncredleader like this.