main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, so the Minutemen must function similar to the Dark Brotherhood, since they had the same problem in Skyrim.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]
    God I love Fallout.​
    Making this thread less because there's any big news surrounding it, but because it's probably my favorite series of all time. Especially the setting. It draws me in way more than Skyrim ever did.​

3. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Which ones have you played?

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I've played them all. But I'm nowhere close to beating them all. @Maulfly

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I'm pretty sure there is a thread about this series somewhere.

Anyway New Vegas is my favorite.

6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    No wonder you knew that. You created the previous thread! :p I'm merging this with that one.

Outsourced likes this.
  7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    One big turnoff for me in Fallout 4 is you can't play all factions simultaneously, like you can in the Elder Scrolls series. I chose Brotherhood of Steel for my first playthrough, but I'm reluctant to reload an earlier save so I can make a different choice.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Fallout 4 is awful, vacuous nonsense.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've tried a few times now on both Fallout 3 and 4 and just can't get into them

I'm back playing Witcher and the Batman games (not knight)

There looks to be so much here to do but the games just do not draw me in.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you want something that's actually Fallout, and not a combination bad shooter and settlment building game with Fallout asthetics, avoid 4. The fact it's exploded with popularity is a good indicator it's been dumbed down for the masses, hence it being on consoles. Go instead to New Vegas, which captures the essence of the Fallout world (Bethesda don't) and makes it an actual RPG, where choices matter.

case in point? In the good Fallout games, i.e. not 4, there are consequences to your actions and that includes your companions. Pick up a super mutant like Marcus, and you'll find hostility in places you haven't previously lifted your reputation to the point where they trust you. In Fallout 4, Brother of Steel paladins prattle on about how much they hate synths, but don't care if your companion is the synth Nick Vallentine. Why? Would probably confuse and upset console players.

Contrast this with Fallout New Vegas - made by the original Fallout dev teams from Black Isle and base din part of their never-produced Fallout 3 "Van Buren" project - where you have the opportunity to recruit form NCR Ranger Boone. Boone's wife was sold into slavery by someone in the town of Novac, and you need to find out whom and why. Take someone to a designated location wearing a certain item of clothing, and that will signal to Boone their guilt and he'll kill them. You have literally all the discretion in the world here as to whom you decide bites the dust. And, if you investigate Carla Boone's fate, you'll discover she was sold to the legion simply because someone disliked her personally.

Boone basically lost the love of his life because of petty, small town jealousy. It's such a great moment. Fallout 4 had nothing like this which is why I stopped.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I loved that mission. You're just walking the guilty(?) party out into the open, and out of nowhere, WHAM! Head explodes, blood and guts everywhere. Awesome. New Vegas is definitely the best modern Fallout game.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I got Fallout 4 for Christmas and have been playing nearly every day. I like it better than 3, mostly because of the Phobia mod. My only complaint is my robot follower always ends up injured every time I fast travel. When I started to run low on repair kits, I traded him for a new robot and it worked okay. I prefer robots to living followers because there's no, "x disliked that," "did you find anything?" every 2 minutes.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well well well!

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah gonna need a lot more than a teaser to get the blood pumping at this point, Bethesda, sorry.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am just suprised that they came out with another game so soon after Fallout 4.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not; they reused the engine.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They did. I am just suprised that they did not decide to do a new elder scrolls game or a new IP.

18. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    It'll probably be the Fallout 4.5 to New Vegas being Fallout 3.5. With 100% less quality Obsidian writing involved.

Or, you know, it's Bethesda jumping on the Battle Royale bandwagon like half the rumors are saying. That too. Because that's what we need, an entirely multiplayer Fallout game.

(frankly, I'm still annoyed at that bandwagon torpedoing the only CoD campaigns that were still any good in the form of Black Ops. If Bethesda is doing the same to Fallout, I'm not going to be a happy camper)

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  19. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Hopefully they learned from their mistakes. Them taking it back to DC? That I don't like. Fallout 1 was set in Califonia,C but Fallout 2 was set in California, Oregon, and Nevada which is a big difference. Fallout 3 was Maryland and Virginia and Pennsylvania and Alaska in the Expansion. Fallout New Vegas was Nevada, Califonia, and Arizona with expansions in Utah and greater Arizona. I figured they would be working on an elder scrolls or Rage 2. Rage is where they got the ideal for fallout 4 anyway. Just play it and you can see that they copied that to Fallout 4. That is not slander.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I really don't think they stole anything from Rage.

21. Straudenbecker

Nov 22, 2015
    What? You don't think they barrowed the character going to sleep and waking up centuries later?

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Nope.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah I think that idea predates Rage by... *checks notes* millennia.

Outsourced likes this.
  24. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I have a feeling this game will be an ESO type game. Doesn’t sound Bethesda-y or like fallout. I believe they haven’t even hinted at their true reveal for e3. Will either be the new ip or elders scrolls .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Straudenbecker

Nov 22, 2015
    Nice call back to Star Wars there.

Those rumors have been around for awhile. We won't know until they give out more info, but I would not be surprised if Vault 76 in like ESO. Many companies have been going the MMO route.