main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    No, you didn't miss anything. My understanding is the Han actor has a 3 picture deal with Disney which could include the Lando film. However, the idea of a trilogy or, at least a duology, would seem to be the table set by the Solo film. There are specific historical Solo events portrayed and obviously ones that were not. I would prefer a trilogy so that certain plot elements would have room to develop rather than be crammed into only one more film.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Fingers crossed for those that need the good luck!

Got a Birthday Card from my Mom and she wrote a sweet note about how she was originally going to give me a gift card to a local supermarket chain but figured that I would use it to get something for everyone (something i probably would have done) then she considered getting a Wal-Mart gift card before remembering that the nearest one is an hour drive away (give or take five/ten minutes) so she gave me money instead and I think I know what I'm going to spend it on.

If they do more Solo movies or movies with the same actors I wouldn't mind seeing that there are some loose ends that need to be tied up.

Mistress_Renata, Anedon and brodiew like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm doing another 4 days in a row at work again (tonight is night 1), second month in a row that this has happened. [face_frustrated] I'm usually not one to complain and am happy to work what's needed, but 4 ,13 hour shifts in a row is just too much for me. If it happens again I may have to complain.

Anedon- Is there another supervisor you can go to for help or advice? Maybe there's a different way something can be done that would work better for you? I always advocate that people get trained by multiple people so that you can see multiple ways to do something and find the way that works best for you. Not everyone works the same way and there are usually many ways to get to the same end result.

Happy Birthday, Lady_Misty! [face_party]

Lady_Misty and DarthUncle like this.
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Happy birthday, @Lady_Misty . :)

As for Solo, I see it Monday. I've heard, though, that there are technical problems in several theaters. that the film is literally too dark.

Lady_Misty and brodiew like this.
  5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't know if it's because I'm tired (day 3 out of 4 in a row is almost done!) but I'm back to being very frustrated that my job won't let me do my job. And the union has recently started contract negotiations and apparently they aren't going all that well. They've got until the end of August, but I'm already freaking out about the potential for them to strike. Because I won't do it which then means I'd probably have to quit once the strike was over. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I think I'm going to talk to my soon to be brother in law about the legal ramifications of not striking if they decide to go that way.

6. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I hear you. It must be something in the air... Partly similar situation here as well. I have too much to do. That is I have to cover several very different areas, whereas one is nearly a full time job in itself. Then I have 4-5 additional working areas as well which aren't necessarily full time jobs or even close to it, but when everything is added up it's too much. If my rather new boss would let me handle this by myself, I might have had a chance, but as she keeps sending me around, I never can finish anything and the chaos and frustration increases. (Every time she's away and I have to cover parts of her job too, I actually have less to do and gets more done in total, because I am able to route in the most important things first, and allow myself to let the 'not quite so important and urgent' ones wait for a day or two.)

When it comes to strikes, it's sometimes a necessary tool, but as I've heard from colleagues in other places of the world it's used for the most weird things sometimes, which leads to a lose-lose situation for both employer and employees. In Norway we're lucky, as the management and unions in most companies come to an agreement during discussions and negotiations. There are sometimes strikes, but in my industry it's happening extremely rarely.

mavjade likes this.
  7. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm exhausted as well. Inventory for my store is coming up.

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't mind strikes for a lot of industries when it's necessary. The teachers in my home state went on strike a few months ago and I fully supported them because they were basically taking away their healthcare. But since I work in health care and in direct patient care, I think going on strike is unethical and morally reprehensible. When I was in respiratory school one the the hospitals had respiratory go on strike (not long after the nurses did) and it was terrible. Normally there aren't enough people to care for all the patients and people are overworked, much less when most people stop working. It's dangerous and puts people's lives on the line.

Can you tell I'm very opinionated on this topic! :p

Ugh, on the additional working areas! That makes things really difficult! I hope things calm down for you soon!

9. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Yeah, in health care it's something different. I realize that even there it may be necessary from time to time, but then again it raises issues with "public safety" or "danger of life and health" (the latter is a terrible direct translation from Norwegian, but I hope you understand it's meaning). Actually, here the Government can "override" strikes if it comes to a point where public life and health is endangered, so usually when it comes to strike the unions try to keep working areas that may trigger this rule out of the strikes. A wise decision in my mind.

I totally agree to the "ugh". I don't mind working with different things. Focusing on only one thing would have been boring. But when all the "different" are piling up and block each other, it turn into frustration issues because there are so many groups expecting answers and things do be done and since they don't know about each other it makse prioritizing hard. After all they all want to have first priority. That's in human nature.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    mavjade likes this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My working is also being made harder by the change from my desktop, to a laptop - my company is rolling this across the board, in a possible move to partial working from home, so they can have more staff, without necessarily needing to supply more desks - and with all the software links that I lost in the process, it is slowing me down, and I am slowly having to build work-arounds.

Felt major to me, last week, but looking at your siituations, @mavjade and @CaraJinn , mine seems minor.

To me, strikes "send a message", but I am dubious as to how effective they are.

Our underground system in London, had a few strikes a while back, in protest at a pair of colleagues being dismissed unfairly, and I liked that sense of support, but I also did not see any sign of the two ever being re-instated. So...message sent, but, apart from disrupting travel plans for thousands of commuters, what did it really achieve?

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I totally understand and agree with your position Mav. It's odd to me that your job isn't considered an essential service (then again, a lot of things down there don't make sense to me). Hopefully it won't come to a strike.

And I understand your frustrations, Cara. It annoys me to no end when I can't finish a job that is almost completed.

I've been like bored out of my mind for the past few days. I'm so very glad my semester breaks are only about a month long (and this month I'll be traveling for like half of it).

mavjade likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I just got home from a three-day trip to a coaster enthusiast event at an amusement park four hours away. I'm exhausted and have a sunburn on my shoulders and forehead that hurts a bit.

In other news, my nice Bluetooth mouse (a Logitech MX Anywhere 2), which is about three years old, has had a stiff scroll wheel for the past several months. Last night in the hotel room, I got fed up with it not rolling and began banging on the wheel with my hand out of frustration. Lo and behold, as I did so, a huge wad of dust the size of my thumbnail ejected itself from the scroll wheel cavity. It spins almost like new now. :D

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I understand exactly what you mean. And I like that there can be an override when it comes to endangering people. I don't think it would ever happen that way here, though. People get pretty up in arms about government overruling certain things and I think that would be one of them.

They aren't minor to you, which is what matters. If things are causing you issues at work, it's certainly a big deal! It's not a competition! :)

I agree, on both accounts. I didn't want to work in a union hospital at all, but most of them here are so I didn't have much of a choice.

jcgoble- Sounds like a good time!!

jcgoble3 and Sith-I-5 like this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Listening to my Dad talk about his job has given me a new appreciation for safety in the workplace and treating workers with respect and like people.

Dust can slow things down and it's always a happy day when you don't need to replace your gear. @jcgoble3

So, I have a question if I should be worried about something. Last Sunday a little girl asked me 'if my babies were at home' and this Sunday a lady asked me if I was expecting twins because she only saw the 'twin' in 'twinkle'.

And when the little girl asked me one of my first thoughts was 'Hubby and I need to discuss two more names, one for a girl and one for a boy' we have already found two names we like for a boy and a girl.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I got onto the Celebration ticket site within three minutes of opening and the VIP tickets were sold out. :mad: I guess fate saved me $600. :rolleyes:

Lady_Misty likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, at least the decision was made for you, JL. If I recall correctly, at least in previous years, former VIP ticket holders were offered first dibs at the upcoming VIP tickets, so the actual number available when everyone can buy them is actually quite small. One one hand, it's not that fair to everyone, but I think it is to prevent scalpers - at least people who have used them before are likely to be the ones using them again (and I think they can buy the same number of tickets but no more).

So, I had been binge watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine (if you haven't seen it yet, you should because it's amazing and so funny. It's one of those great shows that I can listen to/half watch while I'm eating dinner or writing fics but not be TOTALLY distracted by or if I'm not 100% paying attention, I can still understand what is going on), but I finished it. I've been intending to watch Aaron Sorkin's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (same creator/writer as The West Wing and a couple other people, both cast and crew, worked on both), so I figured since I only have a few days left before I leave for 2 weeks and not much to do, I'd watch it because there's only 1 season. I started Sunday night and I'm already on episode 12 (and I'm only there because I was hanging out with people yesterday). IT IS SOOO GOOD AND I'M ALREADY SO MAD THAT THERE IS ONLY 1 SEASON! AND HOW DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH IT!!!!! I already know when I finish it, its going to leave a hole that only binge watching all of The West Wing will be able to fix.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
  18. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, at least I don't have to wonder if the tickets were really worth $850. I was willing to go for it because I think this might be my one and only Celebration. It is on my bucket list. I would also like to see Machu Picchu, Salinas Spain, Greece and maybe China. Hubby is going to China again, but he got word only a few weeks in advance and I didn't have time to get my passport renewed. Anyway, I just got my new job so I need a little heads up to plan these things. Also, I am going to a big reunion with my Army buddies in September, so I have to buy tickets and a hotel room.

Two of the Hulu/Netflix/Amazon tv series I watch had season endings (Probably last seasons) that I really liked. I told my boys, "That is an ending I would have wrote." That was with the shows Orphan Black and The Strain. I don't know how I get sucked into these tv series. Curse you HULU! Oh no, sorry, how can I stay mad at you. It is not Hulu's fault that it makes TV watching fun.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I need to go through the last couple of pages. Or more. Anyway...

June 15th:
    https://2018.europe.wordcamp.org/schedule/

13.00 LUNCH
    14.00 MATT KRIFFIN' MULLENWEG KEYNOTE

But also...at the same time as those two super-important things...

Guess who's invited? WE HAVE NOT SEEN EACH OTHER IN ALMOST A MONTH. :( And unless he RSVPs, which he never does and apparently has never been to the events he's been to (LOL), I wouldn't know. UGH. I want him to accidentally bump into me again. [face_devil]8-}[face_tee_hee][face_blush]

*hypervents*

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Gamiel and mavjade like this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Who is this?

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My crush as of about three months ago.

I can't have him, he's been taken for at least eight years, but you know...seeing him just lifts my spirits. He's like a fluffy happy elf. [face_love]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, I got through the virtual queue at 4 minutes and they were sold out. Someone said they sold out in under a minute. We got our 5 day passes (5 days! It's never been 5 days before and I'm exhausted just thinking about the extra day!) But then the hotel blocks for the two hotels that are right beside it were sold out very quickly as well. We'd already booked one of them, but the blocks are cheaper and we'd hoped to get in on it. Nope.

Right?!! It's so, so good! Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford play off each other so well. I was so sad and mad it only has one season! And what makes me really mad is it apparently had better ratings than 30 Rock for that first season (they premiered the same year on the same network) but NBC decided they didn't need two shows basically about SNL and decided to go with 30 Rock. I guess it was cheaper since Studio 60 had Matt Perry only a few years post Friends and Brad Whitford immediately post West Wing.
    And yeah, watching TWW was the only thing that made me feel better.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I totally understand spending a bit more on a bucket list item. I doubt I'll ever make it to a Celebration, but if I do, I agree with wanting to go all out if it's a one time thing.

I started to watch Orphan Black and I really liked it, but I think I got into the 3rd season when life and school (and I think Christmas) interrupted it, and then I forgot where I was, and then I got rid of the streaming service I was using to watch it. I'm really bad. When I stop a show mid-way through it, I always intend to go back and finish it, but I rarely so. I did the same thing with New Girl.

Perry and Whitford are so great together [but I'm also convinced Whitford could have chemistry with a paper bag (but not Mandy :p)]. But as soon as I started watching it and realized Perry and Whitford played the main characters (not to mention Sorkin and Schlamme as executive producers) AND had a host of high profile guest and musical stars, I was like, "Oh yeah, this got canned because it was waaaaay too expensive". But I didn't know about 30 Rock but that just sucks.

So, yeah, since I'll probably be finished it either tonight or tomorrow, I'm feeling a TWW season 2 binge coming up while I pack. But I might give Sports Night another try. I tried it a few months ago and, while good, I just didn't really get sucked into the premise.

mavjade likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Guess who's dead? Me!

[​IMG]

Spoiler - the whole collection of my mad rides. OK, there's a lame one, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My personal best. Ironically, it's from 2017.

[​IMG]

And the most brutal one I have ever done - on a bike with no brakes, rusty, a plastic bag on its seat, gears broken.

[​IMG]

The information for the 2016. one is accurate. The rest, I had to draw routes by hand. :( My current phone refuses to agree with Endomondo and trace properly. So, the other data is nonsensical, too.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    mavjade , Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Woah! EP! That's an epic ride(s)! But that's awesome! :D
    I've been thinking about maybe trying to ride a bike to work. It's not that far (about 6 miles/9.5km) and the vast majority of it would be on a bike path. A coworker of ours rode his bike to work all the time and got hit by a car and was very badly hurt and has never returned to work. But I think he was mostly on the road, something I don't want to do around here. How is riding on the street where you are? Are people pretty aware of bikers?

I do the exact same thing. If I don't finish once I start, I probably won't. I want to go back to things, but there's just so much to watch!
    Re: Sports Night - I watched it when it was first on and I remember loving it, but I've not seen it since. I don't know why I didn't watch TWW when it was first on other than I was too young to understand/pay attention to who was creating/writing a show.

Ewok Poet likes this.