main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are the best Moments of the Old EU and New EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What are the best Moments of the Old EU and New EU?

(not including movies or TV shows)

starfish likes this.
  2. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    One of my favourite moments in the old EU was Thrawn's death "it was so artistically done".

For the new EU, I would pick Leia being outed as Vader's daughter in front of the Senate. There was something very palpable about that scene. Leia was at her most vulnerable and exposed, but she demonstrated her steel and humanity.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The final moment of LOST STARS where they're together at last but eternally apart.

Mas Amedda surrendering the Empire in canon. Much more satisfying than the peace treaty, IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    For the New EU, I'd probably say one of my favorites is in the first Darth Vader comic, when Vader finds out that Luke is his son. The flashbacks to ROTS, the realization that he didn't kill his unborn children, that Palpatine lied to him, and the ensuing effect his rage has on the room around him was beautifully done.

For the Old EU, off the top of my head, I know FOTJ isn't everyone's favorite series of novels here, but I think the part that always stuck with me was the ending of Apocalypse, where the solitary woman in darkness lights a candle, to show that the former hasn't won yet. The imagery encapsulated all of my favorite themes in Star Wars: hope, perseverance, etc.

5. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yoda and Dookus' confrontation in Dark Rendezvous was just so good. Seeing Dooku come so very close to being turned back to the light, feeling how palpably he wanted it, only for everything to fall apart when Anakin and Obi-Wan show up, and him falling back into darkness for good. It was such a great scene. Not to mention Yoda's "I want a rose." dialogue, which beautifully summed up the difference between the two sides of the force.

The other moment that really sticks out to me is Obi-Wans "Not the last of the old, but the first of the new." talk with Luke in TTT. I always have to do a double take and remind myself that it happened in a book, because over time my brain had decided that he said that line talking to Luke in RotJ, it fits with the saga so well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    "His name's Kettch, and he's an Ewok."
    "No."
    "Oh, yes. Determined to fight. You should hear him say 'yub yub!' He turns it into a battle cry."
    "Wes, assuming he could be educated up to Alliance fighter-pilot standards, an Ewok couldn't even reach an X-wing's controls."
    "He wears arm and leg extensions, prosthetics built for him by a sympathetic medical droid. And he's anxious to go, Commander."
    "PLEASE tell me you're kidding."
    "Of course I'm kidding. Pilot candidate number one is a human female from Tattooine, Falynn Sandskimmer."
    "I'm going to get you, Wes."
    "Yub yub, Commander."

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewies death in the EU.
    Ganner's "No One Shall Pass" speech and last stand.
    Anakin Solo and Vua Rapuung working together to free Tahiri and and question Mezhan Kwaad.
    If the Force is life, and the Vong are alive but can't be sensed by the Force, is the problem with the Vong or your perceptions?
    Anakin Solo's death.
    Ton Phanan's death.
    Piggy's introduction by Wes Janson.
    Wraith Squadron.
    Luke and Leia vs. Palpatine at the end of Dark Empire.
    Han and Leia returning to Mon Cal in TUF and seeing the assembled Fleet.
    Leia's speech at the end of SBS.
    The Fall of Coruscant in SBS.
    Zonama Sekot arriving at the Coruscant system.
    The Retaking of Coruscant.
    Nom Anor joining the Shamed One's for good.
    Anakin asking about Tahiri and Tahiri's reaction when Han and Leia tell her.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The revelation that the player is Revan in KOTOR 1.

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    This is one of the most powerful, most cinematic, most exciting, moments in EU history.

"There are thousands of warriors out here. You are only one man!"

"I am only one Jedi."

"You're insane!"

"No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."

―Nom Anor and Ganner Rhysode

10. New EU
    Vader builds his own lightsaber

Old EU
    Darth Kyat reveals that he is A'Sharad Hett
    Darth Bane destroy the Brotherhood of Darkness

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2018
  11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree that this is the best jaw-dropping moment outside of the movies.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    DarthJaceus and darklordoftech like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Canon: The beautifully-written conversation scene in Darth Vader #20 in which Inspector Thanoth reveals to Vader everything he's discovered over the course of his investigation. "It's been a pleasure working with you, Anakin." Chills.

EU: A deep cut here - my vote goes to Luke's two battles with Lumiya from Marvel's Star Wars #96. Such great stuff.

13. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Zsinj merely blinked at him. His expression said, How nice that you have that problem. Now solve it.
    "So we've found one of her relatives. The relative will make contact for us."
    "A relative of Gara Petothel?"
    "No, of Lara Notsil, the woman whose identity she took. The community where she grew up, New Oldtown--"
    Zsinj shuddered. "Surely you're joking about that name."
    "On Aldivy. It was blasted out of existence by Admiral Trigit when it refused to offer him supplies."
    "You're sure he didn't destroy it because of that name."
    "Since he's dead, I'll have trouble asking him. Anyway, one of the real Lara Notsil's siblings, from New Oldtown--"
    "Don't ever say that name again. It annoys me."
    "--returned home after spending months at a naval job under an assumed name. He was supposed to be serving time in a jail in his hometown-whose-name-is-nevermore-to-be-said."

Warlord Zsinj and General Melvar, Iron Fist

14. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Legends:
    The death of Ton Phanan - Iron Fist
    Luke and Mara's Force bond/proposal - Vision of the Future

Canon:
    "I am the brightest beam of light." - Empire's End

15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Awww, Ton Phanan’s death always makes me sad. I’ve read those books at least five times, and still that part is hard to get through.

But yeah, the entire wraith squadron series is still probably my favorite thing from the old EU. If I had to pin down a favorite moment from them, it would probably be the recruitment part that Fishstick’s quoted above. The whole thing, from the Ewok fake out to Runt and Piggy. I like the whole bunch of them a lot.

From the new stuff. That’s hard. Bloodline might be my favorite book so far. But going down to a favorite moment, it might actually be when Hera and Kanan first meet in A New Dawn. Two of my new favorite characters, and really the point when Hera’s dream of creating a rebel cell maybe actually starts to take shape.

Second place for the new EU, goes to the Lando Comic.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    JediBatman likes this.
  16. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Old EU- The entire Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison series

New EU- Hasn’t happened yet. I’m hopeful but always in motion is the future.....

SpecForce Trooper and kalzeth like this.
  17. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Star Wars Insider actually made a list of Best EU Moments at one point: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/20_Most_Memorable_Moments_of_the_Expanded_Universe

Anyways, here are mine (at least the ones that haven't been mentioned yet)

The end of the Jabbiim arc of the Clone Wars comics were Anakin uses Force Choke for the first time.

Plo Koon's niece is killed by Vader, but as she dies she sees a vision of Luke and the New Jedi Order.

Too many moments to count from the campaign of the original Battlefront II. The chilling narration about Order 66. Fighting Phase One clones. The moment they're called "Vader's fist".

Playing The Force Unleashed and bringing down a Star Destroyer. (Some may see it as overpowered, but you can't deny it looked pretty cool).

Mace Windu destroying a seismic tank in the original Clone Wars cartoon (See above note)

And of course, this:

Wedge: We'll need a wheeled transport, one of the flatcam units our pursuers are carrying, and four sets of women's clothing.
    Hobbie: Boss, please tell me you're not putting us in women's clothing.
    Wedge: Very well. I'm not putting us in women's clothing.
    [In the next chapter, the Rogues are in women's clothing]
    Hobbie: You lied to me.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    yep, that's a highlight.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Old EU

Ventress's supposedly last moments in the end of the Obsession arc
    from the
    Republic comics

Kyle Katarn discovering his father's lightsaber in Dark Forces II

That moment in Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader where Vader is reflecting on his past when visiting the Jedi Temple

Anakin's revelation to A'Sharad Hett of his killing of Tusken Raiders from once again the Republic comics (this whole list could be from that series now that I think about it).

Seeing Lucien Draay's childhood and also his reflections of his father later on in the KOTOR comics.

New EU

That final moment between Lando and Lobot in the Lando mini-series that you just have to read for yourself.

The battle of Jakku as seen in Lost Stars

Vader's discovery of who his son is in the original Vader comics.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Jacen's defeat of Onimi and oneness with the force.

Onimi revealing himself to be the supreme overlord "Shimmra was Shimmra and I am I."

Cade's defeat of Darth Krayt and proclaiming himself a Jedi.

The seventh battle of Ruusan and the thought bomb.

21. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Moff Panaka piecing together who Leia was was a highlight for me.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    JediBatman likes this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    That would have been a perfect way to end that book. It went on for another chapter (presumably to allude to the First Order storyline) but the scene between Thane and Cienna where she is in a cell and he comes to visit her definitely should have been the last scene of the entire book.

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    "Lord Vader! Why is the Navy attacking my ships?"
    "Because the ships, under your orders, are engaging in criminal activity."
    "Nonsense! My ships are trying to stop a Rebel traitor who destroyed my castle!"
    "You have two standard minutes to recall your vessels. And to offer yourself into my custody."
    "I will not. I will take this up with the Emperor."
    "The Emperor is not here. I speak for the Empire, Xizor."
    "Prince Xizor."
    :"You may keep the title. For another two minutes."
    "What are you going to do, Vader? Destroy my skyhook? You wouldn't dare. The Emperor - "
    "I warned you to stay away from Skywalker. Recall your ships and surrender into my custody or pay the consequences. I will risk the Emperor's displeasure. However, you will not be there to see it, this time."

25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    In the KOTOR comics when they realized "Rohlan" was Demagol.