main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Greetings...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Moff Hylldar, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moff Hylldar

Moff Hylldar Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2018
    ...and thanks for allowing me in! My nickname and avatar might be at odds with the Jedi theme, but I noticed several Darths here already, so I presume this board is in balance anyway.

I'm an old Star Wars fan, but I must admit there are some substantial hiatuses in my knowledge. For instance, I know little to none of the Clone Wars series and similar releases (I intent to catch up, at some point in my life). I've also read only a few of the novels, some of which have meanwhile been declared 'legends' rather than 'canon' by Disney-Lucasfilm — a decision that does not hugely bother me as I find the entire saga big enough to cherry pick and construct my own interpretation.

James Luceno's Darth Plagueis novel, for instance, is way too magnificent to decide it might just not have happened that way. In my perception, it adds much to the saga, and even brilliantly utilizes and enhances some loose ends (plot holes?) that George Lucas inserted in the Prequel Trilogy!

On the other hand, I'm underwhelmed by mucj of the new trilogy sofar, and have little hope Episode IX will redeem this. The standalones, by contrast, are absolutely fantastic! (It's a shame people seem to be 'punishing' Disney-Lucasfilm by boycotting Solo because of TLJ, because Solo is imho an almost perfect movie that long-time fans, casual fans, and just random cinema visitors can all enjoy — if they actually go see it!)

I find the Robot Chicken Star Wars specials so great, that I even consider these almost-canon! (Especially Ponda Baba's background story!)

But it is probably better to save such opinions for the various discussion threads.

Oh, I play SWTOR too, as my lazily screenprinted avatar probably gave away already.

2. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Hello, @Moff Hylldar.

You should catch up on Clone Wars. It's absolutely great. I'm also a big fan of old EU/Legends novels! What's your favorite? I love The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy.

I also played SWTOR for a time, but I stopped paying and lost interest. But then again I might come back to see if it's decent in the freemium mode.

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! It’s good to see a fellow Imperial fan. :D Who would be your favorite? I’m a huge fan of the Fel’s...all of them.

Please let me know if I can help you navigate the boards.

4. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    How the heck did you know I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan??? Now you got my Imp Intell paranoia level at max :D

I'm mostly into the pre-Dark Side of the Moon stuff btw, but obviously like the other stuff as well.

I play SWTOR with two accounts, simultaneously, which adds an unexpected level of coolness. (I discovered ithis coincidentally. At one day i found myself alone in the guild. All well of course, but then I made a new character. So, I went on an old laptop and expected it to not be able to actually render the game, but maybe just enough to make some F2P account, and make a char to invite my new main-account characters into the guild. But that laptop turned out to render the game just fine, at low graphics. And I've been doing that for quite a while now, with two premium accounts, which I never told my wife :D )

5. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    I didn't check, is just my casual welcome message to all users. So you're a Syd Barrett fan?

I was just listening to The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn the other day.

6. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    Ha! You already exposed one my hiatuses! The name sounds familiar, and now that I google it, it seems vaguely familiar, but I should be catching up on that; I found the Yuuzhan Vong epoch a bit weird when I read some of it, but at least it was good-written and above all coherent stuff — unlike the ST unfortunately.

I suppose my greatest imperial inspiration still is the portrayal of Our Beloved Emperor Palpatine in RotJ. There are several Moffs and Grand Moffs in SWTOR that I admire as well, much more than most of the Sith I must admit. And of course Wilhuff Tarkin.

Thanks for the offer! Maybe you can give an overview in a nutshell?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    I'm also a Syd Barrett admirer ('fan' would suggest too much), but my main Pink Floyd love concerns the period just after Barrett left, and before DSotM. They were really experimental in that time, playing anything from acoustic songs to weird (post-)psychedelic stuff, and discovering themselves. They perfected that with DSotM, and that was the end of that ear and the beginning of a new.

Barrett was brilliant, but as you know also tragically burned-out and became a schizophrenic. His post-Floyd output contains some great songs, but he's mainly held together by Waters, Gilmour, Wright (who did the production) and some guys from the Soft Machine (who added some structure to his recordings).

Jedi Knight Fett and BadCane like this.
  8. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    Btw Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a great and truly unique album; you won't find anything like that anywhere, not even in Barrett's solo work (he wrote most of the songs, but the performances were left to the individual band members; Wright's organ is very characteristic in most of these fairytale songs).

9. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    The post-Barrett to DSotM period is absolutelly fantastic. I even learned to like Atom Heart Mother, which is a pretty divisive album as far as I know.

But my favorite album is not from this period.

It's got to be ANIMALS. I freaking love that album and I think it's a masterpiece.

10. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    It is indeed! Too bad Wright was de facto already out (he didn't contribute much if anything; Waters resented him and he allegedly had a cocaine habit those days)

AHM is indeed somewhat of, well not so much a failed album, but not so successful as they aspired. They played two versions live (sometimes even within the same concert): one with and orchestra (more or less how it is on the album), and one without. The latter version was usually rather wild, especially Gilmour's guitar. Allegedly Igor Strawinsky liked the 4-piece version, and bashed the orchestral one.

11. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Hello there @Moff Hylldar and welcome to the Jedi Council Forums - I hope you will enjoy it here.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome to the forums @Moff Hylldar There is always someone somewhere on these boards that could help fill in any gaps of your SW knowledge.

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome to the forums @Moff Hylldar There is always someone somewhere on these boards that could help fill in any gaps of your SW knowledge.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Welcome @Moff Hylldar @};- I too enjoy the stand-alones and much of Legends, although I pick and choose amongst that as well [face_laugh] And there are wonderful roleplaying and fanfiction subforums that will vastly entertain! :D

15. DarthKamen

DarthKamen Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2018
    Welcome!

Picking and choosing what stories are "your" canon is a wonderful idea.

16. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome. Old fan you say? How old? Are we talking 1977? :D

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome! Glad we have another person here who realizes how amazing the spinoffs are.

Hope to see you around.

ThisIsMe1138 and Moff Hylldar like this.
  18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Wonderful introduction. I loved it.
    Welcome to the boards.

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  20. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    Almost. It is a bit silly, but as a kid, I first became a collector of the action figures, then of the story. VCRs were not at all common that era (in the Netherlands at least), and my first exposure to official releases were
    • a vinyl picture disc containing what I assume might be a radio adaption: the movie (ANH) compressed into an hour, with a voice over. (Now that I think back I realize this must have had a significant pedagogical effect on me learning English!)
    • A comic book of ESB, in Dutch Unfortunately I traded that for an Emperor Palpatine figure later.
    The first movie that I actually saw was RotJ, via some not quite legal copy. (Back in those days, movies were not released globally, so they were released in the US months before Western Europe.) Soon after that, I rented a VCR and the entire trilogy and I taped it all to casette tapes so that I could at least listen to the audio whenever I wanted.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  21. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    Oh btw of course I went to cinema's as well after to see the movies. I saw ANH (iirc it was just called Star Wars up until the prequels) and ESB in a marathon.

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Watch the double posts mate (mods are big meanies over them :p ) just edit your previous post ;) All good and a learning curve.

So you're Dutch? My husband is Dutch!!! I'm an Aussie, so interesting combination here!!!

I know about the global stuff! Everyone saw ANH in May, I had to wait till September 1977 to see it!!!! My brother was such a fan of ANH that he watched the vhs every night till the tape broke!!! He's 45 and still a massive fan.

23. Moff Hylldar

Jun 5, 2018
    @Adalia-Durron Thanks for letting me know!! @Mods My apologies, I'm on my tablet and rather clumsy with it. I'm at my cottage-in-the-countryside right now; no PC at hand :(

@Adalia-Durron I presume you reside in AUS? Many Dutch went there and to NZ right after WW2. My maternal grandfather also thought of it... I wonder whether I'd have been there (recent studies suggest children inherit there intelligence mainly from their mother) or not at all... Btw I know that Angus Young has a Dutch wife aswell, but they partly reside in NL.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    They do!! Yeah, I call him 'my clog' but he was born here. Best line he ever said was 'My parents dont have an accent!' and I nearly fell over laughing. They were mid Teens when they came here and yeah, the accent is strong! LOL We went to the Dutch Festival here recently, so much orange! :p

On iPad if you hold you finger on her screen an option bar pops up and you can choose to edit, I have Tapatalk on my phone and iPad and use them both as well as my computer to get here. ;) Do I sound addicted? :eek:

25. mammalbirds

mammalbirds Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2018
    Welcome! I'm new too (by 2 weeks).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.