main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you write a ficlet that will never see the light of day because of its combustibility and the fact that it is too close to DRL.

pronker likes this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you plot your epic on an extra calendar sitting around the house, because it's easier to use than a spreadsheet keeping track of which sets of characters do what when.O:):ahsoka::qui::amidala:

3. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    ...you finally decide to write about the Force-imbibed pools located at all three family mansions, but have no idea if your explanation will make any sense >_>

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when your thoughts are gradually coalescing around an Appalachian-based A-Team, having done some brief research around a probable vehicle for the team, a Ford Super Duty pickup truck; when you spot that there is only one day on the Create a new OC' challenge, and you have to abruptly shift gears.

Thorn058 and Tarsier like this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, the one day left is on "an event that changed your OC's life forever challenge," which started in February? I think the "create an OC" challenge was more ad-hoc, and @Findswoman said there was no deadline for that.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  6. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the response to your latest offering is representative of the maddening number of people not going to see the movie.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW your friend sets you an ultimatum, because you wrote solely 1300-ish words in May and left only seven comments...so, now you have to get off your rear-end. :D

8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    .....When you are happily muddling through the process of trying to write an epic Star Wars fic, and then Marvel Loki barges in and drops a whole litter of plot bunnies in your lap, demanding that you write the story right now.....And said story promises to be another epic.

9. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    ...you add another parish to your Deep South, Louisiana-type planet located in the Outer Rim *plays "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance*

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you wake up after fourteen hours of sleep because you dreamed a fanfic and didn't want to stop. And then you forget EVERYTHING. JKENCELMTOTMVPOV1!11!

pronker, Findswoman and Kyber Acyk like this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Except for the 14 hours part of things, I’ve done this too... more times than I care to admit. [face_blush]

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Aw, noooooooo!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    YKYAFFWW you need to get your butt to see Solo just so you can review a friend's work without spoiling yourself. ;) [:D]

14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when a show you have haven't watched in five years catches your interest again and drabbles and ficlets will not be held at bay.

E: Okay, now they're playing dead. It that cart and horse thing. Great idea, but...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    ...when you turn what was previously a duology into a trilogy- also known as "Peter Jacksoning" -thanks to complaints in the previous iteration of not fleshing out the 'middle bits' between the major story points. :p

...when you have literally no control over which piece of fic you finish first, motivations and number of fans be darned. I can't help it! My fingers have a mind of their own! ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFWW you are reading about Maul's past and your brain reads that he was afiliated to the PUKE syndicate. And it absolutely makes sense. [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you finish writing a comment for a friend even though you have a migraine.
    …you reread your old comments to try to cheer yourself up.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down, Raissa. If there is any little fic gift I might write, shoot me a prompt. I'm happy to try and cheer you up!:D

...when posting at another site you have beaucoup hits, but only one review.

...when I really need to stop putting so much importance on reviews.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when a friend tells you one potentially DDC-useful tidbit about a character in a certain tie-in film you haven't seen yet, causing your attitude toward said tie-in film to change from "oh, I'll see it when I get around to it" to "oh, I really should see this soon!" :D

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    YKYAFFW...

...you received comment from somebody you now understand you missunderstood, since you thought they said that they would not comment on anything you write. EP, you're stupid, especially when it comes to people who have always been nothing but sweethearts. [face_love]@};-

...you are so tired from a bike ride that you go into a grocery store for an, err, emergency and say: "I need super Obi-Wan, please!" The cashier is like LOLWUT. [face_rofl]

21. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    ...when you have gone through an entire YouTube search to find Cajun and bluegrass music to create a soundtrack for each scene of your characters' adventures in Fairminister County, Luitania *sits in a rocking chair playing a banjo*

22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    @brodiew [:D]Thank you! That's so incredibly kind of you, just the offer cheers me up :) Thank you!

Which brings me to..

...when your most supportive friends are all members of the fanfic community! [face_love]

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...and fanfic saved you from becoming a danger to yourself, since you were literally walking the fine line between suicidal ideation and suicidal intentions.

Thank you, everybody! I love you all.

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    The feeling is mutual! <3

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kyber Acyk and Findswoman like this.