main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    A long time ago I came to regret being a Christian; if I characterized Christianity as a mental illness would you respect that opinion?

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow look how accepting you are, calling people retarded, and using said word as a slur. Once again cementing my point about disrespecting mental illness and using it only when one wants to give an excuse for ignoring the beliefs of the underrepresented.

3. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    No, because it’s completely unfounded, meanwhile gender disphoria was considered a mental illness and then slightly altered recently.

4. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah and......? Longstanding scientific and sociological mindsets being altered is common place when society moves beyond bigotry. Remember how for centuries scientists again and again made up bull about black people having less sophisticated brains? The thing is those analyses are informed by the societal biases in which they were formed.

5. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m sure that their being told that there is something “wrong” with them and that Jesus “loves” them but only if they “repent” so that they can no longer be themselves, has nothing at all to do with that high rate of suicide.

And being LGBTQ is not a “belief system” any more than having blue eyes is a “belief system.”

The idea that it is acceptable to refer to LGBTQ people as unacceptable, a “lifestyle” that does not “belong,” or that LGBTQ people need to “repent”? That would be a belief system, and a really disgusting one.

9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, and the first paragraph talks about how the individual in question was bullied into it by people who refused to accept them, as I said.

Don't you think if a particular group is at risk of bullying and potential suicide, their beliefs should be treated with more caution and respect, rather than refusing to accept them as part of our society?

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    The thing is merely relying on them having higher suicide rates is not enough to make a judgment, keep in mind the amount of harassment trans people get even from family members. Of course those rates are high, but I am not gonna pin that on their lifestyle itself, anymore than I would pin lynchings on people being black.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    @Benster7703

I'm gonna give you this one warning. So heed it wisely, or else myself or one of the other Mods WILL take further action. You are intentionally baiting users and twisting words to suit your agenda. You came into a thread devoted to discussing diversity and it's positive benefits under the guise of not trying to start something, but you have clearly done just that. You have used word that is offensive and I have edited from your post. You are entitled to your opinions, you are not entitled to make statements about folks in the LBGTQ community having mental issues. That is not true, not science, and will not be tolerated. I'll be watching this thread closely.

--Adm. Nick

12. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    Since this obviously isn’t a place for me I will leave.

jSarek likes this.
  13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Than you for the edit Nick. Using the R word in that way has not place on these boards.

Except we did. People have addressed your claims about "vilifying white men" as well as your bull about obesity.

14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Y'know, incidentally, I've always been sorta surprised that the anti-gay position was the one that the Republicans ended up taking. Stopping excessive government regulation from defining what isn't marriage is the conservative position, not the liberal one, and a reasonable application of conservative principles is one that supports the expansion of marriage through the courts. The rolling back of nitpicky federal laws that defines what a private act should and shouldn't be is comprehensible in the context of Buckley-style right wing thought.

But we wed the social conservatives back with H.W., so c'est la guerre.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If being a Republican was about reasonable application of conservative principles I don't suppose they'd have picked the current president as their standard-bearer.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    If only more Reps were like Comradepitrovsky

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    You're not a victim here. You're spreading hate speech and accusing others of doing the same. Either own your beliefs, or do as you accused us of doing (before your edit), and find somewhere where your views are accepted.

theraphos, Outsourced, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, true.

An actual conservative position on marriage would be, from a government standpoint, getting government out of it altogether or at best, leaving it as a legal contract between two people regarding power of attorney and inheritance. Religious institutions could do whatever they want, but their practices and ideas would not be codified.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    A reminder that is timely:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rules-of-the-jedi-council-forums.27141421/

Two worth reading and understanding closely:

No hate speech. Hate speech is defined as any post that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as gender identity, ethnic origin, religious affiliation or lack thereof, race, disability, genetic attribute, or sexual orientation.

Baiting or intentionally stirring up other users isn't allowed. Debates are fine, but argue with the point, not the person. Threads with no purpose other than flaming, subtle or otherwise, will be closed. It's important to remember, however, that a person disagreeing with your opinion is *not* trolling. Try to keep it civil even if you're sure the other person is wrong.

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben, Endor_boy, jSarek and 5 others like this.
  20. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Being a Democrat isn't exactly about the reasonable application of liberal principles, either. Both parties long since abandoned the era during which actual principles governed their platforms for tribalism, imo. The era where there was enough actual discourse for people to change their minds existed - like, James Burnham, the intellectual powerhouse behind the National Review was a long-time Trotskyist - but I think it has gone the way of the Old Republic.

But whatever, I voted for Hillary and work for the Republicans, so I'm clearly not representative.

jSarek, Outsourced, CooperTFN and 2 others like this.
  21. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    Ok
    I will no longer post on this subject anymore, but I still stand by what I said. At the end of the original post, it was said that this was a place open to the opinion of the opposition. I do think diversity is a good thing, by I am allowed to have opinions on controversial matters. I do not think all members of the LGBT community are mental ill and I have a gay sister, but the opinions expressed are actually popular ones held by similar individuals. The only reason that I have been attacked by every member present is because this post attracts a primarily liberal audience. Your post is a dangling of the ban hammer in front of who you consider to be a troll. If this thread was called “Star Wars and LGBTQ pride” I would have avoided it. But when I came here I thought I would just leave a post stating how I felt diversity should be tackled in the future. Now that I know that theme of these threads, I will avoid them.

I left a final message against my opposition was posted before I saw this, and I have since edited it to say that this isn’t a place for me.

22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    You can try to do that without the hate speech.

23. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    One last post, I quoted Jesus saying to love your enemies, and someone attacked my religious beliefs. Does that count as hate speech?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ...and without doing the LGBTQ equivalent of “I’m not racist, I have black friends.”

And if you consider LGBTQ people your “enemies,” that would be hate speech. Any comments against anti-LGBTQ bigotry by some Christian denominations would not be.

25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    The difference is that he did not call you mentally ill or use the R word when criticizing your beliefs.