main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I love how he could take the time to (keep!) making self-justifying ragequit posts but not to address any responses to him that were more substantial than "gtfo troll".

Edit - And to make it clear, I mean this as more than just a zinger, and more than just something regarding matters of morality specifically: if you're going to debate something, either debate it honestly or say your piece and then leave. This "I quit BUT FIRST ANOTHER POINT" thing always comes across as very disingenuous.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Benster starts off his participation in this thread by calling for respect. He immediately compares LGBT to "clopsexuals", claims "transgenderism is a mental illness", and soon after refers to overweight people as "cheese puff addicts". Then Benster claims to "love everyone equally" and quotes Jesus.

But then someone points out that this rings hollow, and cites the history and current climate of Christians claiming to love everyone while simultaneously persecuting LGBT.

[meme]Is this hate speech?[/meme]

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I love my faith but damn is it hard somedays to have people even try to have the religion of love and peace clear some low hurdles.

4. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    If we're doing memes, this is how I imagine users stumbling across the past two pages:

[​IMG]

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Damn it, Woke! I was just about to post that.

6. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My reaction was more of a

[​IMG]

but I was heartened by many of the responses.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I am proud of all of us here who are able to have mature and balanced discussions on this thread. We have our share of people like this, but at the end of the day this is a good place to be.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest: the latest trailer for 'Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse' shows that not only is Milles Morales (afro-puerto rican) the main character but we also see Gwen Stacy (female) among the spiders and it seems that we will see Pavitr Prabhakar (indian)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I love the style of that.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Did they say Pavitr is in it? I guess it would make sense but I hadn’t heard anything.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    there is no such thing as simply not paying attention on a project that cost hundreds of millions, it's a deliberate choice
    the bolded part is the big one isn't it, people are quite capable on picking up subtext

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thank God the storm has passed. Now, let's get back on topic. Namely, that Mon Cala come in all colors and I LOVE IT!

[​IMG]

Red, brown, green, blue, white. So many colors!

--Adm. Nick

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If someone interprets the subtext of this thread as “we want no white men ever” they’re probably not reading it with a very open mind.

14. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    No, i did not come on to this thread with the thought that you wanted no white men ever. I also see that many people are confused with my stance on LGBTQ representation. No, i don't think it's wrong for a male character to like dudes, we all have differences, and people don't have to agree with everything in a movie, that would be stupid. You already know what i think about transgender characters, and the reason i think Disney should be carful when implementing these types of diversity is that they might do it incorrectly. Remember what happened with pansexual Lando, and how they implied in Solo that he was in a relationship with his droid, there is a difference between giving us diverse types of people, and giving us obscure sexualities and made up genders.

An example of how to properly implement diversity is in the main Star Wars comic line, where they implemented a bisexual character in a way didn't stink of early two-thousands politics. When i think of this character, theres so much more to her than the fact that she's bi, just like i don't think of "strait guy" when i think of Han. I just don't ever see that happening with a trans character.

15. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    For what it’s worth afaik there’s no more evidence that Sana and Aphra like men that there is that Han and Luke do.
    As far as I’ve seen both Aphra and Sana have only showed an interest in women.
    Also the Last Shot features a supporting non binary character, so it seems reasonable to think there are Trans characters out there.

vncredleader and RaptorMusic like this.
  16. Benster7703

Benster7703 Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2018
    Trans characters, regardless of what individuals think of them, would exist in a large diverse galaxy. But how would i visualize these people if i don't know which gender they are. And if trans characters are a norm for now, they need to be implemented in a way that makes sense, and they can't realistically be a large part of the population. What i mean by proper implementation, how would a trans person interact with the other characters around them. Since most of the galaxy isn't trans, how would characters identify a trans person, and how would they be introduced to the readers as trans.

I have yet to read the books that feature trans characters, so i don't know if this has already been dealt with.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well there are only three or four NB characters at this point and zero confirmed trans characters, so overrepresentation is a very long way off. As for your other questions, I’d recommend reading Last Shot to find out for yourself. It might feel way more normal than you expect.

18. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    When a trans character is featured in Star Wars, they would probably be handled the same way as it is handled in Saga. As just another character along for the ride in a complex narrative.

Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples are putting out a modern day epic that is full of creativity, love, triumph, despair, loss, sadness, acceptance, forgiveness, revenge, justice, war, peace, addiction, friendship, fame, betrayal, loyalty, faith, and family.

I know that Saga borrows heavily from some of the best stories and universes around, but if Star Wars were to take anything from Saga, how characters are depicted of different backgrounds would definitely be a good thing.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Luke's been trans since the beginning. McQuarrie even did artwork of him as a teenager, before he came out:
    [​IMG]
    You might need to leave the fandom entirely now.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Same here and, let's face it: We are the Empire!
    [​IMG]
    Yes, as someone who just caught up on the thread - this is accurate.

Quoting you for no other reason than Saga is excellent and it needs as many people reading it as possible.

21. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    What did you guys think of Most Wanted? Is it good? How is the diversity?
    The reviews I'm seeing are very mixed so I have no idea what to think. I'm usually less excited about the YA novels but usually wind up getting them anyways. And of course, some of them are really good.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I’ve heard good things but not to the point of raving.

Iron_lord and Endor_boy like this.
  23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    “It should be realistic,” he says, describing a universe where space magic is real.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh hell, I completely forgot to get issue 48 last year. And now I'm 5 issues behind- you know it's bad falling behind on this series when the breaks between arcs are months long. :oops:

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’ve been meaning to check the Saga series out for a while. I think it’s even on comiXology which, which I have.

CooperTFN and tatooinesandworm like this.