main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do you get insulted if people don`t like the Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Feologild, May 27, 2018.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, my best friend from high school and I have always had Star Wars vs Star Trek friendly arguments. He prefers Trek. I know plenty of people who like both though.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I like SW better but I love the original Trek series and the recent films.

3. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't mind it all. In fact I understand...But my mule, he just doesn't get it. Course, if they were to apologize to my mule...

5. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I really don't mind people not liking Star Wars, but I do put my astonished face when people say they haven't watched any of the movies.

6. DarthKamen

DarthKamen Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2018
    Not at all. I do get upset when they don't even give them a chance.

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    It bothers me when they don't want to give it a chance. Just deciding the films stink without trying to watch at least one first bothers me. :p

Sith Lord 2015 and BadCane like this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I get the same...the "How can you like Star Trek?? Aren't you a SW fan!?"

YES. Or when general moviegoers decide not to see certain SW films cos they've heard they suck from various media or people...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    christophero30 likes this.
  9. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    It'd be kinda hypocritical. I go through phases where I get burned out and lose all interest in it.

10. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    About the Trek vs SW thing:

Some people think we live our lives like the characters in the Fanboys movie. [face_laugh]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Kaaaaaaahhhn! [face_rofl]

Darth__Lobot and BadCane like this.
  12. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    Star Wars is extremely vast and quite intimidating to get into, especially at an older age. I don't blame people for being turned off by how vast it's grown, and not having the time or patience to be bothered with it. I hear the same complaints from people who aren't into Lord of the Rings. It's just too much for certain people, and I can certainly respect that.

There's a level of required time and commitment to realms of nerd culture that simply can't be justified to some people. Of course, the deeper one has to go into something to properly appreciate it has always been part of the appeal of Star Wars for me.

Valiowk and Ava G. like this.
  13. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    I'm not insulted, but I hate when someone says, "I just don't like them." Give me a reason why you dislike them. Any reason would be valid but the lame "because." I accept that people don't like my favorite movies, just as I don't like some of their favorite movies like, say, any pot-humor film ever made with no plot and no direction...unless you're toking. [face_laugh]

christophero30 and Ava G. like this.
  14. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    How could you possibly be insulted by someone else's preferences?

Unless maybe the meaning of the word 'insulted' has changed without my knowing it?

If anything though, being a Star Wars fan is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more acceptable in the mainstream today than it was back in the 90's, where someone calling you a dork, or nerd was not something you would be happy with.

These days calling yourself a geek or a nerd is common and many say it proudly.

The Big Bang Theory would never have worked in 1991 and if you wore a Chewbacca T-shirt to my school back in the day your head was going right into that toilet.

15. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    No, I just think they're kinda weird. :p

Blobofat and Ava G. like this.
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I completely agree with this. Between SW, the Star Trek reboot, Potter, LOTR, and Marvel films nerd culture has become mainstream in the last 15 years.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  17. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I don't get insulted I just sort of pull this face

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    From How I Met your Mother:

Truth be told, I used to have the above attitude, or something similar. However, what changed me was receiving the same thing from members of other popular fandoms and realising how obnoxious, condescending and elitist, such an attitude is. After which, I quickly modified my outlook to be considerably more tolerant.

This definitely has merit. I think the best time to get into Star Wars is as a child. To give you an example, a friend of mine recently showed his girlfriend, who knew absolutely nothing about the franchise, A New Hope and she couldn't get past the inherent cheesiness of it. Another case was when I did my college thesis on the Hero's Journey in Star Wars, for which I also had to do an oral presentation with slides. Only after practising it out loud in front of my parents, with them just shy of bursting into laughter at names like Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2 and C-3PO, did I gain any notion of what Lucas went through when he first tried to market this thing to executives.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  19. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    My dad, who's an arguably bigger Star Wars fan than I am, wanted to make sure I watch the movies at the right age---in fact, he kept me from the films until I was around 10, which he stated was the right age where I wouldn't be too young to miss the finer details, but wasn't too old to refrain from taking seriously.

Honestly, given how that was the age in which I was really getting into history, mythology, and classic adventure stories like The Three Musketeers, King Arthur, King Solomon's Mines, and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, that was really the peak age where I really would've appreciated Star Wars the most. I think once you're past that age of wonderment and excitement, the movies really don't leave much of an impression.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That was a sensible decision from your father. Sadly not what you usually see from certain fan parents who, as soon as possible, play the movie in front of their infants (who can barely walk, recall or understand what's going on) so that they can brag online about how Star Wars was the first movie their kids "saw".

21. RandySolo

RandySolo Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2018
    Yeah. I've run into that too. Mostly online. The few people I know in real life who I've talked about it with usually express fondness for both to varying degrees.

Now, to answer the thread question: no.

22. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Insulted, no. But like others a bit bewildered when I have come across a certain type of person who says things like "I hate Star Wars. I have never seen one Star Wars movie and I am proud of it!" Okay. If anything I feel a bit sorry for them because I think part of their soul must be dead inside lol

Etav Byx likes this.
  23. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    No, I don't get insulted -- people have a right to like or dislike whatever they want, and I've told non-SW fans exactly that. I hold nothing against them for their lack of interest. However, like the above quotes, don't like it when others think they're somehow cool because they either don't like SW or don't care about it, or are proud of not having seen the movies and think their better than me because of it.

Do I find it odd that some people haven't see SW, when the OT is 40-ish years old? Well, from a cultural standpoint, it might seem weird on a surface level, but again to each their own. I haven't seen Gone With the Wind. I know it's an important part of cinematic history, apparently it's a good and popular film. Obviously, it's well known and was well received, but I've never made the time to see it. Will I eventually? Maybe; maybe not. But in the meantime, I'm not "proud" that I haven't seen it (nor am I embarrassed or ashamed). It is what it is; live and let live.

As for the Wars vs. Trek sub-topic in this thread, I, too, like both -- a lot. SW is space fantasy, and ST is sci-fi. SW is primarily a movie phenomenon (or at least started that way), and ST has, for me, been a TV thing (of course I like the movies too), so both fill different (and yet similar) areas of interest for me. I have many fond memories of watching new episodes of ST:TNG on Sunday evenings, and reruns of it and ST:TOS late on weeknights or Saturday afternoons. And that was during a time when my brother and I used to watch our worn-out VHS copy of the OT (recorded from TV airings) on an almost weekly basis. Man, I miss the 90s... Hahaha!

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Totally this. Pretty much nerd/geek culture in general across the board is now widely accepted really. The 2000's has brought on this weird shift-where the geeks are the mainstream cool, and the jocks and whatnot are actually the ones generally made fun of in mainstream entertainment and social media! Basically Revenge of the Nerds has become reality.

MAN I wish I was in high school during the last 10 years! I would've rocked the house!! I was in HS during the mid-late 90's, and as a film/videogame/comics/music/theater geek who only did a bit of sports, it was rough for me! :p

But it makes sense. As a generalization, the geeks and nerds (like myself) that were constantly made fun of by the other side (who generally acted like only sports mattered and underachieving/class clowining was cool, etc.) all their young lives during the 70's/80's/90's, they're now all grown adults and.....pretty much control the world!! :p No wonder!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Bor Gullet likes this.
  25. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    No. I rather feel sorry for those who lack good taste.