main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, I think Han Solo without Harrison Ford and the fact that it's an origin story that really didn't need to be told are why it didn't click with a larger audience. Seemed to play to the core Star Wars fanatics who got over that. I don't really buy the "Franchise fatigue / too close to Last Jedi". I just don't think this film stood out as a Big Damn Star Wars Event the last few movies have been.

And maybe, just maybe, the whole LFL ethos of "it's all basically prequel content" that they do their worldbuilding on may be a tad confusing or not as dramatically compelling to the larger audience. The Hollywood Reporter piece says "In his own note to investors, analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Co. pins the blame on a lackluster marketing campaign rather than franchise fatigue." The trailers and ads were nice but it didn't push anything larger than just "STAR WARS! YOU LOVE IT! LOOK AT IT! HAN! CHEWIE! FALCON! DO IT!"

Also it is going to make probably 400 million dollars worldwide, it's always kinda silly to me to say when things start making at least 400 million that it's a tank. 400 million is a movie that has been watched by quite a few eyeballs. But it's hollywood math that 250 millon dollar budget needs to clear, like, 600 million to see a profit. Crazy but that's how it works. And Solo did seem like a sure bet to make at least 600 million.

It's a distinctly different Star War though from the last 3. And it certainly stands out and it's a lot of fun, and I loved seeing a Han Solo origin movie just cuz I wanted, and got!, to see a big damn movie about it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Kylun and BobaMatt like this.
  2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Was there any plans to make a Solo novelization? Or did the turmoil of the production mean the script was not available for novelization?

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I believe I just saw the adult novelization is supposed to come out in September. So good for those who want to keep the streak going.

semi-related to the film itself: while I can see a lot of gripes how people wouldn't know why Maul is alive, to be fair to the film, his robo-legs are displayed rather prominently. So even for viewers who's last memory of Maul is him being chopped in half, the movie does answer is visually. "Oh! Robo Legs! got it." And there are, y'know, cyborgs and half man/machine characters throughout Star Wars. So it's not ENTIRELY unfair left field unanswered Maul-ness.

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Yah, Amazon UK lists the hardcover for early September 2018 and the paperback for late May 2019. Here's the thread.

5. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    I have a question about Stormtroopers. With which age do they recrut them? In Rebels and Lost Stars we can see young teenagers becoming students of the imperial academy. In Solo we can see Han becoming one with middle (?) age. I doubt they would train every stormtrooper like the ones in Rebels. I guess such a big army would need some untrained/ not highly trained troopers.

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Han joined the Flight Academy until he was drummed out, and became an Imperial Army trooper, which is distinct from the Stormtrooper Corps -- and it's kinda suggested it's for the soldiers the Empire doesn't want as stormtroopers.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  7. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    What is the common opinion on the YA tie-in novel ? (Not being very young myself, I'm way of YA novels...)

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Since TPM the YA novels have been some of the most consistently high quality stories in Legends and Canon alike. This particular one is pretty interesting, and it's got Poppa Hux in it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Go here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/star-wars-most-wanted.50048469/unread

The YA stuff is some of the best material going in the new stuff, "forget the age rating"

vncredleader and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Me and a few friends discussed the Maul thing in a video about the interconnectivity of Lucasfilm moving forward. We were inspired after seeing Solo, considering it is the most interconnected film out of all them so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2018
    vncredleader likes this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Looking at the miniature, I thought Maul was about to start roaring a la Leo the Lion.

Vthuil, Revanfan1, Jedi Ben and 4 others like this.
  12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Scrap the crawl, THAT is how every SW film should open

13. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I really liked the opening of Solo with the text. On the other hand I also loved the cold opening of R1.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I 100 percent prefer the Rogue One approach in general for spinoffs, but I did think the old-school vibe of this kind of crawl was appropriate for Solo's particular aesthetic and especially how dystopic Imperial Corellia felt.

15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    HYPERFUEL!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A nice video covering the Easter Eggs in Dryden's office. The video takes into consideration the latest The Star Wars Show episode where Pablo goes over the items. Something I didn't know, but thought looked awfully similar to real-world items, is that the Mandalorian armor is actually a Samurai armor that went little to no modifications for the movie. Also, there are two mongolian helmets in Vos's office too.

17. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The opening reminded me a lot of the opening of Blade Runner. Wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional, as there are some similarities in the design of Corellia with the design of LA of 2019 as well.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You mean like that gutteral toar he made right before he attacked Pre Vizsla in TCW? Gosh, that scene is still so disturbing to me. Like, his voice is relatively higher in pitch, and then he unleashes this demon lion growl and it's just so freaky.

Jedi Princess and Vialco like this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I just saw The Age of Adaline a few days ago. I can't believe that Anthony Ingruber was never even considered for the role of Han in Solo. Not that I think that Alden Ehrenreich was bad, I actually think he did a lot better than I was expecting, but Ingruber nailed Ford to an astonishing extent. And apparently he was hired for that movie because he did a series of Han Solo imitations on YouTube prior.

20. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    He was considered. The Kasdans confirmed that he auditioned for the role.

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

According to Jon Kasdan, Ingruber was not only a part of the auditions, he was also given extra attention because of the fan reactions for his Han Solo YouTube videos.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Obviously no one will say anything now, but Alden was hired as part of Lord and Miller's vision, which Disney ultimately rejected. If it had been Ron Howard from the start, Ingruber might have been cast in the role.

Everyone assumes that Ingruber automatically means the youtube Ford impression, but he could have been hired on his looks and been directed to act however the director told him to act.

I have a good question that no one seems to have picked up about the Millennium Falcon and the Kessel Run. The run was made as a secret Crimson Dawn job against the Pykes on Kessel. Crimson Dawn was never supposed to be identified. Han got scot free from the Pykes and Crimson Dawn (Maul) but should have had to hide his identity and role in the scheme for his safety.

So... how and why is the Falcon making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs so well known? Rey knows it. Why did Han expect others to know about it in ANH? Did he compromise his safety and tell everyone he robbed the Pykes in less than 12 parsecs? Maybe he posted the navcomputer logs on the holonet too. It doesn't make sense.

In the EU take, there was at least the plausibility of his record being known in underworld circles, if not imperial ones (the people he was smuggling contraband away from). In Solo, this record would have to be hidden from the Underworld AND the Empire. It makes no sense how Han would expect anyone to hear of his run.

It's bizarre that apparently the Kasdans argued about the mechanics of the Kessel run, yet ultimately decided to use the EU take (the latter of which isn't mentioned in the article): http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...solo-star-wars-kessel-run-20180528-story.html

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    MrDarth0 and kalzeth like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    How people know about the Kessel Run is pretty clearly established in the film because Han walks up to a random, uninterested person and says, apropos of nothing, bragging "Hey! I just made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs." Repeat that for about a few decades with some chatty crooks and it's going to get around.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    How do you know that Disney rejected L&M's cast?

wobbits likes this.
  25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I said disney rejected the original directors vision, not cast. A different director from the start might have had a vision that included ingruber. Howard had to continue from the framework of lord miller vision, including the cast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk