main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit This facility is crude, but it should be adequate- Official Technology Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Jan 22, 2018.

1. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Updated editions, eh? Wonderful. I'll stick with the true editions. Now, if there's new lore that is fully compatible with the real EU, then I can incorporate those selected bits.

Getting back to the Human lifespan thing, I do think there should be more of the sort of variety we saw in the EU. Given how wildly lifespan can vary real life just due to genetics, lifestyle choices, and pure chance, there should logically be all manner of longevity possibilities given in a technologically advanced Universe of countless different Human/near-Human types. Instead, they have all Humans being mostly the same and aging just as though they were in this reality. It's just one way the newer stuff actually ends up seeming less expansive than what we had for decades prior.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Well in Legends we've had humans extend their lifespans for centuries through technology and its implied Plagueis achieved biological immortality before Sidious killed him.

Vialco likes this.
  3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Is their any mention of orbital mirrors over Coruscant in Disney canon?

4. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Even though, I'm done with Facebook personally, I wonder if in the Star Wars galaxy; if their is a form of social media. It would probably be on the Holonet and monitored heavily (at least during the Imperial era). I'm surprised that something of that sorts hasn't been mentioned in the newer novels.

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Something "of that sort" has. We learn in Rebel in the Ranks, part of the Servants of the Empire series, that individuals and organizations can have "public nodes" - locations on a network that serve as contact points for individuals or organizations. Fry does not go into great detail about what information can be found on someone's public node, but it's not a stretch to imagine them as having social media-esque aspects to them.

(Rebel in the Ranks is required reading for anyone interested in GFFA computer technology, as it goes into no small amount of detail about security, networks, databases, etc.)

DarthJaceus, Yunzabit and Daneira like this.
  6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Not as of yet I don't believe.

7. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    So I've been thinking about the look of the B1 battledroids.

Apparently the original concept art for the Neimoidians had them with elongated faces that made them resemble their droids. Obviously the look for the Neimoidians changed, but the TPM Visual Dictionary claimed that Neimoidian skulls deformed and elongated after death, meaning the Neimoidians chose to make their droids look like skeletons in order to scare people.

Now I can't remember where I read this next bit, but I could've sworn I read somewhere that the behind the scenes people decided to retcon this as a rumor, under the assumption that the Geonosians designed the B1s to look like them.

This strikes me as an odd assumption. After all, if the Geonosians designed the B1's to look like them, you'd think they'd give them wings. I think the resemblance is just a coincidence. Not to mention the Geonsians could always just be building something designed by another race.

But really, I think the whole idea that droids should resemble the species that built them is flawed. In Real Life many of the robots we make are far from humanoid. And I don't think anyone was assuming that R2D2 was built by a squat, 3 legged, 1 eyed race.

8. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Interesting point. Looking at our own progression of robot designs IRL and in other mediums there has been a trend toward anthropomorphism. The Geonosians going their own direction toward that doesn't seem to be unreasonable. Not including wings may have just been a practicality/budgetary thing.

Different robot designs I think are driven by purpose and utility. I'd take your R2 comparison and apply it to what we have done, from Roombas to EOD robots. Not every robot needs to be upright/bipedal. There are clear advantages to a combat robot like a B1 design over say a mouse droid design even if you scaled it up. The ability to navigate a battlefield and it's obstructions, repair of equipment in the field and overcome obstacles gets you upright bipedalism and opposable thumbs, even if they are metal. If B1 battledroids and Droidekas were present during the D-Day invasion the Droidekas would have been left on the beach while the B1 could have scaled Pointe Du Hoc.

AV-6R7 and JediBatman like this.
  9. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    DarthJaceus and firesaber like this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    ... which is weird in itself, since the Geonosian drones are wingless. (And when they do have wings, they're vestigial, and thus useless.)

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    AV-6R7 and Gamiel like this.
  11. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    But weren't those droids made by an insane, half cyborg Geonosian Queen who saw them as her children? So not exactly a standard design.

LelalMekha likes this.
  12. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Did the old EU ever have a holographic ally generated “person” to serve as an actor/actress for entertainment?

For that matter, is something like that ever mentioned in new Disney canon?

13. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Not entertainment, but I think the closest thing would be the holographic gatekeepers in Jedi Holocrons.

Yunzabit likes this.
  14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Weren't something like this in the old KOTOR games? I think there was a sidequest related to some holodrama or something.

15. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Did some Wookieepedia research. Holiday from SWTOR is a sentient hologram. Thanks though for your help guys!!!

16. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    What bugs me is that with Earth’s current telescope technology we are able to view hundreds of galaxies and extrapolate that their are at least 2 trillion. The GFFA should be able to see every galaxy and be able to determine if their stars have planets that support life. Yet they never seem to care about other galaxies. We know they can get to them because the Amaxine warriors mentioned in Bloodline left the galaxy. Is it that the GFFA is a “rare” galaxy with tons of life and most galaxies are lifeless or only have some life bearing planets; too infrequent to warrant traveling all that distance? I saw the computer screen in Attack of the Clones when Obi-Wan was looking for Kamino. It showed the galaxy and 2 dwarf ones orbiting it. Surely the map could be zoomed out and we could see more. It’s almost absurd that their tech wouldn’t be advanced enough. They should be able to map the entire universe!

Thoughts? Am I right?

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I haven't read Bloodline, but "left the galaxy" is not the same as "got to another galaxy." Just because they know what's where doesn't mean they can get to it.

In Legends, there were seven satellite galaxies, with only two of them reachable, and then only barely.

DarthJaceus and JediBatman like this.
  18. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Yeah, the way the Amaxines were spoken of in Bloodline it seems like their "leave this galaxy to travel to another one" plan is the stuff of legend and story. And they're believed to be long extinct. Even if the legends are true, for all we know they died in the attempt or got lost or something.

Worth mentioning that Companion Besh is apparently the home of the Nagai and Tofs from the 70's marvel comics.

IIRC in Legends there was also some sort of "hyperspace barrier" that prevented ships from leaving the galaxy. Also when the Vong traveled to our galaxy it apparently took countless generations to cross "the void" between galaxies.

Also, Outbound Flight was an attempt to colonize another galaxy. It ended . . . poorly (though that was due to the machinations of Palpatine and Thrawn).

So those are some other reasons we haven't seen intergalactic travel in Star Wars. Though I think "there's a lot left to explore closer to home." works really well as both an in AND out of universe explanation.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Banking Clan are trading a lot with the Rishi Maze, that might be how they earned the title Intergalactic Banking Clan.

JediBatman likes this.
  20. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Though "intergalactic" should mean "between multiple galaxies" the same way "international" means "between multiple nations", I'm pretty sure that the Intergalactic Banking Clan is just a case of writers not understanding the term. Though I cant' think of any examples at the moment, I swear I've seen this before where Sci Fi stories use "intergalactic" when they're really referring to one galaxy.

Still, your explanation about trade with the Rishi Maze is a good way to explain it in-universe.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    The Star Wars galaxy telescope acuity should be able to map everything. I just assume they are too lazy to travel or it’s too dangerous.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I seem to recall some source somewhere explicitly making that connection, but I can't remember where. Not that I feel it needs any particular explanation, any more than Paramount Pictures needs to explain why their studios aren't on a mountaintop. Corporate names are marketing, not truth.

I'm not sure if it counts as "laziness" when there are still plenty of places to explore within the galaxy. Further, exploration across vast distances is expensive, so there typically has to be high economic incentive to do it; Earth's Age of Discovery wasn't about "seeing what's out there," but about finding ways to get far eastern spices more cheaply, and later to plunder the New World's gold supply.

Daneira, JediBatman and Gamiel like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently it was ICS: ROTS - in which an extragalactic asset "half-way to the nearest dwarf galaxy" was first mentioned:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Banking_Clan_treasury_space_station

24. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    What surprises me is that everyone sticks with ion engines. Nobody bothered to try other methods of sublight propulsion? A reactionless drive in SW would be awesome.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "Am I bovvered? Am I bovvered though? I ain't even bovvered! Don't tell me what to do, are you telling me what to do? Are you disrespecting me? I don't care though, I ain't bovvered!"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Yunzabit likes this.