main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I just finished reading Son of Dathomir for the first time. A book where a person possesses people and creates herself a body because space magic. Every single last character in Star Wars could be trans and it would be the most realistic thing they've done.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I could be wrong but I think Peter is saying "Seven with Prabhakar", which Milles miss-hear. But I admit that it could be me who miss-heard

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I don't think Miles mishears - Peter says "Save it for Comic-Con." It's a meta joke about Miles complaining about the characters appearing in the movie.

Also, did anyone ever post this? Because it's delightful.

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    He says "Save it for Comic-Con."

EDIT: ... and sniped by the radar technician.

Gamiel and BobaMatt like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks. Oh, well, my mistake then.

Ehe, from a design point they are not that impressive. I'm not saying that I dislike the idea or her art style but to say that "they rule" as that article author is saying is going a bit to far. But maybe I'm just to critical.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think “delightful” is a pretty solid description. Art styles are subjective.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It wasn't slightly altered, it was radically altered. Gender Identity disorder was removed and replaced with dysphoria as a disorder. What this means is the act of having GID is not a disorder but having distress over dysphoria is considered one.

Put it this way. Homosexuality as a whole was once considered a disorder. If say someone was distressed over being homosexual and such distress was considered a disorder,then that would be the analogue to this change.

So yes that's not a slight alteration, it's basically a constitutional amendment in psychiatry/psychology

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can go with delightful, I was actually only commenting on the io9 post not @BobaMatt 's thoughts on it.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I haven't actually clicked on the link, but given that it's Gamiel he's probably just ticked off about the gorgets being oversized or something like that.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh I want this to be true so then we can have the whole Disney Princess routine. The Knights of Ren reimagined as Steampunkers. The Knights of Ren reimagined as rocks. The Knights of Ren reimagined as Jedi. The Knights of Ren reimagined as men. .....wait

Revanfan1, Gamiel, BobaMatt and 6 others like this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Did anyone else get certain vibes from the last paragraph

But for real people like this make me sick

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be fair, while the outright formally self-identifying BBL types have pretty much always been *******s, it's a bit much to say this scumbag is even really CLAIMING to speak for Legends fans as a whole as opposed to just the Nazis.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It makes me ****ing sick.

But I'm also noticing that the other EU groups have much, much members. These losers have, what, 200 members? The group they split off from has over 3000. And most of the posts on their FB page has been trashing them.

I am curious how FB hasn't pulled the page after their post about Kathleen Kennedy's birthday though...

16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    On the bright side, I hope that now people can understand how easily the space Nazis got support.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why certainly not in my name.

EDIT: This made me think... couldn't we, we the decent EU lovers of lit, come up with some sort of joint statement regarding this sorry affair?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh dear Waru. :eek::([face_sigh]

How often do we see the Disney Princess (minus Eilonwy and Calla who get's no respect) as rocks or men?

19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Some people really need to get a life.

20. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    And soon, hopefully, we shall have it in glorious live action!

It's missing a lady with the measurements of Pamela from Archer, from both her spy-day era and her latest danger-island era.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is it?

Nowhere does he say this was on the behalf of Legends fans.

"I along with many others"
    "the true fans"
    "each and every one of you"
    "small group within The Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe"
    "groups across all forms of social media that agreed with the examples and ideals we've set"
    "real Star Wars fans"
    "many others in the army"

I'm just not seeing my name in there. If anything, its explicitly not in my name, as I don't fall under any of those descriptions.

Wanting the same thing doesn't mean their actions are in our name. It doesn't actually work that way. If a Muslim who wants whatever bombs something, is it done in the name of every Muslim who wants whatever? Is the Muslims screams about it being done in the name of all Muslims, is that valid? No, I'm pretty sure we've decided it isn't.

But, even if it was being done in my name, I'm not really worried about a bunch of idiots doing something and claiming it was in my name. I find it quite easy to divorce myself from them, and I'm not really bothered by this at all.

But I suppose it's easier for me because I don't like Star Wars and never have.

Vthuil, Gamiel, LelalMekha and 2 others like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Often! You'll find both online. Several of the latter because the world, alas, lacks geologists.
    I think the Powers-That-Be know most people who grew up on the old books aren't racist bigots.

I'm inclined to ignore things like this because they remind me of someone throwing rocks in a pool (one splash and then the ripples go away), but a joint statement put on the main TFN page, including its Facebook and other outlets, would be most effective I imagine. But at the same time, I'd caution against mentioning the Bring Back Legends brigade, because that's just going to add fuel to their fire.

I hate to be cliched as hell and use Rose's quote, but a statement supporting Kelly Marie Tran would be more effective than fighting the jerks.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    @CT-867-5309 Eloquently put, my good sir!

@Barriss_Coffee Oh, but I don't think a statement would have to mention the Brigade (or any similar group) by name. Just make a vibrant stand. We could even sign our names--or at the very least nicknames.

24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I feel sick in my stomach from reading that [face_sick] When I first read the screenshot you posted I so hoped that it's a lame fake of some sorts...but then I opened the link, and it's legit :( What is wrong with these people?!?

First and foremost, I am a Star Wars fan, and I like (in my very subjective opinion) good Star Wars stories, regarldess of canonicity. That said, I do love plenty of Legends stuff, and therefore I am a Legends fan. But what these bullies did and are doing are a disgrace to fandom. This behavior must end!
    I think something should be done to make clear that this very persistent minority comprised of bullies does not represent the rest of us.

vncredleader and CooperTFN like this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, to be clear, I don't think this particular group, or even that particular person, are directly responsible for KMT, even if several of them may have been among those who harassed her. But that they'd want to take credit for it, and explicitly link it to the GUL cause, absolutely pisses me off and I wanted people here to be aware of it.

Iron_lord, Revanfan1, Vthuil and 3 others like this.