main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    IIRC, it also cost a 100 million to market.

So, 350 million. If it makes 400 million worldwide that's "only" 50 million in profit. If even. And corporations like Disney don't like that.

They're looking to make 100s of millions.

And no. Solo did not seem like a sure bet.

[​IMG]

//shameless reference to comments I made in another thread//

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think people are overestimating whether it actually would have been watchable or interesting to see a guy do a Harrison Ford impression for two hours instead of just acting.
    The Empire runs Kessel, now - it seems they showed up to quell the slave Rebellion, and never left. Furthermore, Rey knows it because after Han is a galactic hero these kind of stories would probably tend to circulate.

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Having played the entirety of Batman: The Telltale Series, Ingruber does a GREAT Joker without it being an impression of Hamill, Romero, Ledger, or Nicholson.
    This doesn't explain how Han seriously expected anyone to know circa ANH, when he was not a galactic hero yet.

4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait is Ingruber Telltale's Joker?

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yes. He didn't inherit the role of that Star Wars actor who originated this thread's character, but he inherited a great role of another fine Star Wars actor. :luke:

6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh nice! He is an amazing Joker. Like you said, he is not just doing an impression.

comradepitrovsky and sidv88 like this.
  7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh, for sure, I'm just making the point that once you've decided replicating Ford isn't the most important thing, Ingruber is no longer automatically the best candidate.
    Because Han is infamous in the underworld and that's all anyone in Mos Eisley cantina are.

8. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Han's been bragging about it for ten years by that point. Also, the one whole time we see him do it, it doesn't work, so he's already wrong in the text itself about how many people know about it.

comradepitrovsky and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    In one of the recent issues of the main Star Wars comic series, there is a guy who heard about it, so Han's efforts weren't completely pointless :)

Giovs and Jedi Princess like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tag & Bink might not have made it to the final cut of the film, but they are in The Official Guide. Check the index page!

AV-6R7, spicer, Giovs and 1 other person like this.
  11. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    So were people plotzing at all the EU references in Solo? :p I quite enjoy the movie overall, I thought it was a fun adventure.

BobaMatt likes this.
  12. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I honestly liked it the most out of the 4 Star Wars movies Disney has released so far. The plot was smooth, fresh and unpredictable (-
    also entertaining). The characters were great and multi-dimensional. Lando was a BOSS. It felt like Star Wars and didn’t copy the originals or go the opposite end and be completely different like TLJ (even though I liked TLJ). I am deeply distressed that others don’t feel the way I feel about this movie. This should’ve been a home-run and instead it’s hemorraging money. I don’t get it. This is a classic and should be reveled like Rogue One was.

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    All this talk about Ingruber this, and Ingruber that, and I'm just loving Alden's performance. Ah well.

14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Saw the movie second time and enjoyed it even more than the first time. Now that I know the story, I could concentrate on all the background characters and little details spread throughout the movie, and I love all the old EU references.

So far, the anthology movies are 2 out of 2 for me. Enjoyed both Solo and RO way more than the ST movies. I feel like the anthology movies are made more with the old school and hardcore fans in mind, while the ST is there to create a new generation of fans.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One thing I love about this izzat it's a full on right in the middle of the Dark Times era, actually I can't think of many new canon materiels that land right at the 10 years in mark. Haven't read Catalyst yet but I think that might be one.

16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Do you mean Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel? Then no, that one takes place from 21 to 17 BBY.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    "A New Dawn" is a little closer to the mark, isn't it?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yes, that one is in 11 BBY.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well after all that time saying I won’t see it, I went and saw it :oops:

It was cheap at the Storyhouse in Chester and it was virtually an empty screening, so I thought why not ....

Anyway what did I think of the movie, meh, while I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it.
    As a movie it went on a bit to long, they could’ve cut 30 minutes from the movie and it would’ve been fine and there was some real WTF (not in a good way) moments like playing the Imperial march and Maul’s appearance and for some reason his decision to get out his Lightsaber in a hologram message [face_laugh]
    Though Lando’s character trashing was awful.

Alden wasn’t bad. I mean he wasn’t Han Solo nor even a younger version but still not bad. The best supporting character got killed off way to quickly.

Overall I didn’t need to see it and have no desire to see a sequel (which Maul’s apparence seems to indicate) and the AC Crispin Trilogy is a much better Han Solo Prequel story than this but yeah I won’t say it’s outright awful.

5/10

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And er, why was playing the Imperial March was a WTF moment?

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    These are always fun

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Because it was an out of universe movie theme being played in universe.

Maybe we could have a deleted scene of Vader in ESB, look off screen when it plays say “quiet now I’m about to talk to Veers and Ozzel” [face_dunno]

23. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I dunno. I don’t think you can get more propaganda-ish than the Imperial March. It works in universe. It’s the sort of tune you’d expect a marching band to play.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It also has a long pre-Solo history in both Legends and newcanon:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Imperial_March_(Martial_music)

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Not to mention that it was clearly used IU in Rebels before, so even in canon, it's not a first.