main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Harry Dresden is back out with BRIEF CASES just released by Jim Butcher.

PEACE TALKS will hopefully be out in Spring.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Aw too bad you weren't going next month! I could have shown you guys the secret rooms at the archaeology museum.

Do be careful though. Fuego isn't far from the capital and its behavior right now is unprecedented. And be careful leaving Guate city -- they close the roads if things get dangerous, and then you can't get back. That happened in the Pacaya 2010 eruption and people were stranded all over the place. And you've seen those roads by now I'm sure, on the sides of the mountains. They're the worst place to get stuck on.

spicer, jSarek and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This sounds insanely interesting.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    That would have been amazing... well, maybe next time the stars will be in alignment for us to meet up!

And thank you - we're definitely taking it careful when deciding our travel plans. Start of next week we were planning on heading out east, but we're watching things closely and even if it stays the same we might cancel. Better safe than sorry, especially with the roads here, as you say. Thankfully we'll plenty occupied in the city with her family - we chose birthday season to visit, so between the celebrations and then the need to recuperate the next day, we have plenty on our plate... literally. The last big family dinner I was able to help her aunt make kak iq... I'm hoping to be able to make a passable imitation for this Thanksgiving.

Thank you! The overall work is on how successive groups of European explorers/colonizers/settlers interpreted the Great Zimbabwe ruins, and the Lizard People part is the final chapter which brings it into modern politics, which is depressing just how easy it was to do. But I admit, it's the chapter I had the most fun to write. I also have a chapter on comparing the discovery of the ruins to the discovery of various other ruins by imperial powers, and I was able to bring the 'discovery' of Martian canals into that, too, with a bit of Lovecraft... that was also fun. Also the first time I was able to cite myself in a footnote!

To give a taste of how academia works, this began its life as basically a very minor digression in my previous work that was a political history of federalism and nationalism in pre-independence Central Africa. I ended up putting that work on hold so I could spin what was basically a paragraph out into its own work. You'd be surprised how often this happens. But like they say, scholarly work is never completed, it's either ended or put off.

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Color me highly interested, as well. In the interim, do you have any recommended resources regarding pre-Icke Lizard People mythology?

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I think I may just take an internet break for a little bit. I got in fake internet trouble on another forum for implying that someone vigorously defending the Imperium of Man's government and claiming that it is the absolute best in it's setting that could exist - keep in mind, this is a government with regular state sponsored genocide, including against it's own allies - might be a bit problematic. And if saying that someone who calls fascism "superior to all alternatives" is a fascist is wrong, I don't want to be right.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I had little notion Jupiter's moons were so big.

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It might not be obvious here, but Ganymede is bigger than Mercury. (It's probably completely obvious that all of the Galilean moons are bigger than Pluto.)

King of Alsakan likes this.
  11. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    huh.

well, in that case I've a new understanding of @jasonfry's Jupiter Pirates books.

jSarek likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Anybody here going to follow the football world cup in Russia?

Personally I'm more of a horse sport man but I have an interest in Russia so I will follow the stories around the cup, but I can't say that I'm going to see any of the games.

14. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    My family are all absolute fanatics - not only are we going to be following it, it's going to be the source for a bunch of national themed meals while it's going on.

Which means we're going to have borscht tomorrow. Yaaaaay. [face_plain]

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fixed it for you

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  16. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like borscht

I’ll be watching some of the World Cup. I’m glad Sweden qualified this time and I’m curious to see how far Iceland make it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Gamiel likes this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Just got back from a brief trip south of Guatemala City, checking out my partner's family's farm and then a few towns closer to the shore. We were aiming to go the full way and spend a couple days at the Pacific, but there was some very bad rain and the weather reports indicated it might get worse, so we thought it best not to risk the roads getting closed on us.

When we were heading down on Sunday we went very close to the Fuego volcano, exactly a week after the eruption. We got some stunning photos of it - it was extremely easy to see the path the eruption took. It's hard to believe just how much destruction the local communities suffered. I don't normally do things like this, but if you're able and willing, please consider donating something. If you want to know good charities to give to, I'm more than willing to give recommendations (everyone here agrees, definitely do not donate to the government....)

Icke himself directly got the idea of the Lizard People from the Annunaki of Zecharia Sitchin's 1976 "The 12th Planet". Sitchin wrote a number of sequels but Icke (and most people) know most about that. Icke changed things a bit (Sitchin has no "Babylonian Bloodlines" or secret cabals into the modern day) but he's very clear that Sitchin is the basis of this theory of ancient lizard aliens visiting Earth and influencing human development.

My argument is that Sitchin in turn was inspired by the Belgian zoologist/cryptozoologist/sci-fi author Bernard Huevelmans, specifically his 1955 On the Track of Unknown Animals, which has a chapter on Babylonian dragons that was clearly an influence on Sitchin and which in turn was very clearly influenced by a chapter in Willy Ley's 1941 The Lungfish and the Unicorn (and which in a later version Ley complains about Heuvelmans basically ripping him off). Interestingly in one of Ley's later books he basically updates that chapter to take out most of the speculative stuff, so even he moves away from it.

Also interestingly, through another path, Heuvelmans was a big inspiration for modern Creationists because his claim for ancient lizards in modern Central Africa seemed to refute the theory of evolution or a comet impact millions of years ago, so there's two brand of crazy he helped shore up, but to be fair to him, he was not the only one responsible for that.

18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually do stand corrected. Never thought I'd enjoy the taste of something colored a vivid magenta.

starfish, Gamiel and Senpezeco like this.
  19. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    I posted a while back about making a Kotor reread thread....Well I'm doing it, and it'll be up in about an hour if anyone is interested. Just a warning tho, the intro is probably far longer then it needs to be. But I just love this ****ing comic so goddamn much

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Ah, Huevelmans. I really need to read On the Track at some point; Huevelman's thumbprint is on just so much cryptozoology (and, it seems, the copious amounts of woo that arise from it).

Did Huevelmans (and/or Ley) posit sapient "dragons"? Or is that traceable to Sitchin?

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yay. Lucifer's been picked up by Netflix.

Kind of weird: Amazon bagged the Expanse, currently shown on Netflix in the UK, while they bagged Lucifer, which is currently on Amazon Prime UK.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Btw, speaking of that, is there any way to watch the Expanse online? I have my parents' cable subscription but it only allows some Season 3 episodes, and I'd like to start from the beginning, yet it doesn't seem to be on Netflix in the US.

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Amazon Prime Video

First two seasons are free if you have Amazon Prime.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Ghost likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I really need to catch up on that.