main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order + Survivor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jun 9, 2018.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Its interesting that the title of the game is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, implying that they're already thinking about sequels and making this into a "Star Wars Jedi" series of games, where potential future titles may take place during different eras.

DarthJaceus, Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone know what platform this will be?

I'm glad we're finally returning to story-based video games.

DarthJaceus and revan772 like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More looking at it from the marketing angle, how are they going to sell this game?
    Well, that's one answer. But on this I have reason to be sceptical, due to Force Unleashed. What happened there? Well, every stormtrooper had lightsaber resistant armour - or so it seemed. There was a big gap between how we'd expect to be playing a Force-user to feel and the limits on your abilities a game has to apply in order to apply a challenge. It's years and another generation of tech later, but I'm still not sure how to square that circle.

If they get it right, it could really, really work. On the other hand it's EA....

I'd expect the usual: XB1/X, PS4/Pro. PC, maybe Switch

EDIT: Had a couple of ideas as to how this could work - they go for 'you craft your own' story angle, but combine it with a set of really well-named difficulty settings:
    • Vader (very easy)
    • Yoda (easy)
    • ObiWan (normal)
    • Padawan (hard)
    With your power level set accordingly.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    AusStig likes this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    To be fair, I loved The Force Unleashed. Starkiller remains my favorite EU character. But then I love anything with Sam Witwer in it, so my opinion may be a tad biased.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder if your arsenal goes beyond your saber and force powers. Since it's dark times and your character is likely not going to unnessesrly announce to his enemies by showing his talent that he is a Jedi, He should have a blaster pistol. Also you should be able to pick up other blasters to use. When it comes to sabers, I hope your not limited to the one you start out with.

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

7. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    You know I wouldn't be surprised if Obiwan later owned a blaster during his exile. Tattooine is a dangerous place from criminals, tuskens, etc. If he is ever forced into combat, a weapon like that allows for a Jedi to still defend others while hiding his real nature. Having a stun setting is also helpful.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Years ago, a frequent complaint voiced by many people was that too many Jedi survived Order 66 and that the list kept growing as new works were released. I didn't mind it personally, but a lot of fans didn't like that. It was one of the arguments put forward by the "why EU sucks" people. Now the New Canon is also heading in that direction. It'll be interesting to see how things will develop this time...

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If I could've liked your comment twice I would. Essentially, I was going to post the same. Well said!

10. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    At least this time period makes
    More sense then what we got with Rebels. I never thought that a show set in the late dark times should portray three Jedi and only off one. Should have had Ashoka murdered by Vader, Ezra never becoming a Jedi. That with Kanan dying would have tied the bow of that era for Jedi and not repeat the mistakes of the Old EU. Now Filoni has to explain why Ashoka and Ezra are not active against the First Order and Jake Skywalker is seen as the last hope for the rebirth of the Jedi by Snoke and the Resistence.

As long as the Jedi survivors (including our new hero) of pre-Rebel years end up dead or truly giving up jedihood (and not become Jedi lite like Ashoka), then more stories about the last of the Order should happen.

Though I do want a canon amount put on how many survived order 66. Meaning future writers can't increase said count when they feel like it. I think around 100 or less is a fair number for the size the order once had. Over the years we continue to get tales of this dying order.

kalzeth and Vialco like this.
  11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    An important thing to note is that most (but not all) Jedi that survived Order 66 in Legends, survived the initial execution of the order. Soon after, I'm talking about several months after the events in ROTS, a lot of them got killed. So, if one sees a list of Order 66 survivors in Legends, the false impression they may get is that a lot of them managed to live well after ROTS, which is not the case.

12. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Traditionally, most SW games have had the light side/player victory path as the canonical version of events, but what if they take a different route with this one? Maybe you can survive the Purge and take down Vader for a satisfying game experience, but officially your character dies/becomes an Inquisitor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ulicus likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That would be the boldest choice they could make - declare that the game isn't canon due to the wealth of consequences you can experience on a playthrough.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One way to bypass the "this has been done" routine is for them to use Barriss as the main player character.

The game begins with an Arkham Asylum-breakout, maybe during the chaos that happened to Coruscant during ROTS. They bypass the stereotypical sob story about the master who dies while the apprentice lives. Rather, Luminara's fate can play a role in the game's story, since we know where she ends up but not how she gets there.

If the game is choose-your-path lightside/darkside, as it will probably be, you can have Barriss grappling with what she's done and either trying to resolve her problems and eventually going to the light or just continuing down straight dark. Characters like Luminara, Ahsoka, and others can show up and play into the plot (thus resolving the Ahsoka/Barriss storyplot, that has since strayed nowhere). Presumably going dark will make Barriss a major inquisitor; going light pits her against the inquisitors. First Inquisitor has to be in it since he had Luminara's body (presumably he killed her but I always felt they were leaving that purposefully vague).

Have any of you ever played American McGee's Alice? I guess I'm envisioning a game like that. Caught between crazy-dark side Barriss and being the noble Padawan; the crux of the matter being that she fell to madness for good reason, because she already saw the Order had fallen before the official end of the war (heck the intro movie could include her speech to the Jedi jury on TCW!)

All of this would be a perfect way to avoid another Kanan, or a repeat of all the other Order 66 tales. Also it gives us a trippy Barriss game, observing the fall of the Jedi and Old Republic from the POV of someone who's not quite on anyone's side and who everyone thinks is crazy.

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I like how this thread has essentially become a list of bucket-list dream games because we have practically no information on the actual game.

16. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Well, if that’s what we’re doing, I want a game where you just fly around the galaxy with purrgils, exploring different worlds and stuff.

17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    For fun, here's a bunch of quotes pertaining to what I think about things that have been said in this thread:
    Pretty doubtful. We're talking about a studio that's pretty much only worked on Call of Duty-like games on AAA budgets. That's just not the kind of environment that spiritual successors are made in. Especially when the prior EA game that's a direct successor to a beloved franchise took very few elements from said franchise and ended up using the name instead of any actual gameplay aspects.

As for flashback missions, I can't see them happening unless they're a major part of the story. If the entire game is being played against stormtroopers and the Empire, what good is it to create a bunch of CIS and specialized assets that'll only be used once?

Could be cool, and co-op seems to be trending pretty well lately with games like Destiny making money hand-over-fist and Anthem on the horizon. Although, I can't see it being drop-in co-op within the actual campaign. Probably something more akin to Spec Ops: The Line's challenge modes.

Maybe. It would make sense within the timeline.

The story itself matters less than how said story is told. Titanfall 2 had a rather goofy over-the-top story that was presented so well as to end up being very good in execution.

Eh.

If I wanted to fight Vader, i'd the the Force Unleashed games. This needs something more substantial than that, honestly. The Dark Times is such a good era for storytelling, and even though "Padawan on the run" stories have been done before, they're very effective vessels for character drama. Given Respawn's success with Titanfall II, largely because of its protagonists in Cooper/BT, I feel like this game will need to hold itself up more through its story than its combat. It's what the audience will be looking for, and it's what Respawn have shown themselves to be good at.

Strongly agreed.

I hope they just make a good game first. And for them to clear up how i'm supposed to write that name out.

Almost certainly, at least in regards to blasters. As for sabers, i'm not so sure. The Force Unleashed allowed you to customize your saber crystals, but that was a God of War styled beat-em-up with hidden power crystals to incentivize collecting. If they make this more down to earth, I can't really see that being caried over.

Sounds cool, but way too dicey for a big budget game under an existing popular license. Even Battlefront 2, which was sold largely on playing as a member of the empire, copped out and made you a rebel half way through.

Definitely not going to happen. Barris was kicked captured by the order for the temple bombing a little while before Order 66 went down. She definitely wasn't still a Padawan when it all hit the fan, and her almost certainly being imprisoned wouldn't lend well to her chances of survival.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    1) Not a padawan, my contracted Hutt? From a certain point of view...
    2) I doubt Disney would kill her behind the scenes, without any resolution, good or bad. It is a plot they have intentionally left untouched so far.
    3) Barris was a jerk and Thrawn did well to make a fool of him.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I wouldn’t mind if the character turned out to be Barris. What a neat way to finish her story, especially if it’s the kind of game that has a light path and a dark path.

20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Even if the main character is not Barriss that doesn't mean that Barriss can't appear in the game at all.

Revanfan1, Outsourced and starfish like this.
  21. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    It could be such a big step for star wars games, could have Ahsoka appearing maybe evening Barriss. Along with one of these lot... maybe a story following one of these promising padawans?

[​IMG]

DarthJaceus likes this.
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Can't wait for the inevitable Vader boss fight. :vader:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader final boss bets?

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It doesn't matter, we know Vader won't die. At best we'll knock off his helmet and then refuse to kill him at the last minute, like in The Force Unleashed games.

In fact, this project is too reminiscent of TFU 2. A Jedi on the run in the dark times, which the Starkiller clone definitely was basically.

I would have preferred a reboot of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. An older Kyle Katarn as the last survivor of Luke's Temple Massacre, with the implications that Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series happened in broad strokes in the new canon (minus stealing the Death Star plans), similar to what was done in Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It'd basically be a remake of Jedi Knight, with the 6 Knights of Ren instead of Jerec's 7 dark Jedi. After a boss fight with Snoke, Kyle Katarn blows himself and Snoke up with a thermal detonator, and the implication is he dies (the way BJ ends in Wolfenstein: The New Order), with Snoke surviving but with facial scars, now revealed to have been from Katarn's attack.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and kalzeth like this.
  25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    While I really want it, I doubt we'll get another Jedi Knight style game. It's just the way modern gaming works. When's the last time we had a fully player-customizable game? That had full and free-play multiplayer? Long time, I think.

Revanfan1 and Outsourced like this.