main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Which is sort of my point - they didn't come up in TLJ because no one in that movie really cares about them.

2. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Hey they brought Darth Maul back. Anyone’s fair game.

sidv88 likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's hard to say. Beast is never mentioned in the first X-Men movie, yet afterwards it's clear he's a really important member. The Sentinels were also apparently offscreen during the original X-Men movie trilogy the whole time too.

Neither Saruman nor Gandalf mention the Valar in the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, but to use that as proof that the Valar aren't important would be gravely mistaken.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It's less because they're not mentioned and more because Snoke clearly cares about Kylo Ren becoming a new Vader in his own service more than he cares about having a small squad of dark side heavy hitters.

wmu'14 likes this.
  5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's time to quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Snoke chose... poorly. :kylo:

PCCViking likes this.
  6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This takes me back. Remember when prequel haters used to do this with Lucas's name? Good to see that it remains as clever and relevant now as it was then.

--The Po$itive Fan

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What crimes were these?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I actually wish Disney was Di$ney in some ways. Where's our Snoke novel? Knights of the New Republic game? Dark Forces reboot? Animated adaptations of the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire?

I and other fans will give so much $$ for this that the Solo box office will become a distant memory to Disney. Make it happen! Remember, it was the sales from the 90s EU that helped Lucas get the money to make those prequels. Even long ago, Lucas saw the value in merchandising $$ that Fox foolishly signed away.
    Rey: If I go now, Ben Solo will turn!
    Luke: Compassion is for those who deserve it.

Oh, sorry wrong canon.

(ship full of Sith blows up and they are incinerated)
    Luke: Compassion is for those who deserve it. (calmly drinks hot chocolate)

:luke:

wmu'14 likes this.
  9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    400% would play Knights of the New Republic.

10. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Hey, most people still hate Lucas and the PT. That hasn’t gone away and never will.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Don't forget how much people hated the EU, and all the individual authors and publishers.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    There was also that whole coup thing.

sidv88 likes this.
  13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Don't forget there's a point where they start killing each other over fealty to the Republic.

Tellingly, Luke also goes into self-imposed exile after handing the galaxy to an Imperial regime in Legends.

Manuel Bothans and Jedi Princess like this.
  14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I love all these ideas (particularly KotNR - not the catchiest of acronyms but a game I NEED TO PLAY) - but ironically enough, I'm stretched past the breaking point of my discretionary budget (aka the Star Wars budget) just keeping up with the comics, novels, and the odd reference book. I actually wish sometimes they'd dial back for a bit so I can catch up!
    Another thing that hasn't changed since prequel-hating days: believing that the loudness of the voices implies a large number of people doing the yelling.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    All organizations are run by humans though. At some point, it will be run by someone corrupt and the organization will do bad things. I agree some organizations should go, but if you look at the history of every major organization, group, government etc (Catholic Church, Buddhist monasteries, the Shaolin temple, every major country, etc.), they all have done bad things. They would all have to be destroyed; thus most people just opt for new laws, rules etc and hope that next time the wrongdoing REALLY won't happen again.

What does everyone think on this , which details some of Lucas' plans for the ST?

MrDarth0 likes this.
  16. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    No one can truly answer this without seeing it.

If it did take away from the 'magic' of the Force, I can see it being hated even more then the PT. (A large hatred of the PT is the midi-chlorians which play a very, very, very, small role. Midi-chlorians were so hated that Disney tried to wipe them out in their movies with the idea 'hey anyone can be a Jedi if they want to'. I believe that's a JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson quote)

But I think I would've enjoyed it more then this OT rehash we're getting.

Now with the Jedi all but extinct, it'd be impossible for a KotNR unless it's set a million years after TLJ's sequel.

But unfortunately, the masses DO HATE the PT. I LOVE the PT. I grew up with it. I don't understand (most of) the hate to them. I think denying the masses hate the PT is living in a bubble.

17. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    There were a blissful few years between 1995, when I first saw the OT, and 1998 where everything Star Wars was awesome. Once I gained the internet and was exposed to the fandom I realized that in actuality everything Star Wars is terrible except for the very first theatrical screening.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Thems was the Shadows of the Empire years. Good times. Good times.

Link1130, Revanfan1 and Kylun like this.
  19. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    The only thing people agree on is the OT is good (and even then there's people who don't like the Ewoks).

So Disney said 'hey, that's what people like; that's what we'll give them!'

20. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    If this is real, it sounds like it would be totally different from anything we've seen in SW before.

It would probably piss off lots of people, it would perhaps loose money, but it would be different.

I really wish George would make at least one more movie. Doesn't need to be SW or a big blockbuster, just one more movie about anything he wants. George perhaps wasn't the best when it came to writing dialogue or working with actors, but he always had a unique vision, cinematography and excellent editing, and he's the greatest world builder I know.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    For all we know the ST is covering some broad strokes of George's outline already. We know they followed a Lucas outline that supposedly had Luke with no New Jedi Order (although I'm not sure if that outline literally had a Jedi Purge 2.0 like we got). Now we are seeing Rey is super powerful with 2 lessons (and the title 'The Force Awakens'). It may be the same story, minus the details that the midichlorians or Whills decided to awaken and converge on Rey to give her a count of 99 billion or whatever.

22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Who knows. Perhaps one day Michael Arndt or someone else will start talking and we'll get the full Lucas outline.

But I think one thing is for sure, if George would have been directing Ep. VII, we would get much more different designs and more exotic worlds compared to what we got.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wonder if they could tie this into the Yuuzhan Vong getting the Force back in the EU, I could work with this.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    How is letting a ship full of Sith die a crime?

25. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    There's a debate I'm not interested in perpetuating. Keep that finger keenly on the pulse of "the masses" my dude.

@BobaMatt , I listened to that podcast you posted earlier. Very good stuff; thoughtful, insightful commentary like that always reminds me why I love these movies so much - there's always so much more to learn and think about. Thanks for posting that.

Jedi Princess and BobaMatt like this.