main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who has given up of Starwars gaming?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by crazyewok, Jun 12, 2018.

1. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I hate the state of star wars gaming. EA have mismanaged it and have sucked any hope I have for it.

All we have is Battlefront and I have little interest in FPS games as it is let alone ones that are half completed and full of loot box crap.

The only other alternative is rubbish mobile clash of clam esq crap. Again I have little interest.

Where are the games like Dark Forces? X wing? ect?

I want a good Strategy game and space simulation and a Role playing game would not hurt.

Instead we get the trash EA spew out.
    To get my starwars game fix I have to use mods.....

Does Disney need to dump EA and open up to licence to people who will actually use it?

2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I gave on computer games years ago (for reasons having nothing to do with Star Wars games specifically.) Last one was TFU2.

I do have fond memories of games past - back when games were games and not... whatever they are now.

lookameatbag and christophero30 like this.
  3. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Respawn announced a new Star Wars game at E3 called Jedi: Fallen Order.. so at least there is a chance for something.

But it is a problem that I am still playing Jedi Academy fifteen years after it came out and the Knights of the Old Republic games instead of the original Battlefront. EA has bundled the IP hard with a bare bones first entry and damaged the brand with all the gambling nonsense they threw into Battlefront II (which, do not get me wrong, I did enjoy but the controversy that loomed over it hurt both the game and changed the conversation of how gambling can be in console games - negative attention it should have never have had). I get that gaming has changed in the years but giving EA the license for so long was the biggest mistake of the new regime imho. They have massive teams and have had many years to release new Star Wars games and still have barely released anything.

These don't even have to be AAA games. There is nothing wrong with releasing an AA game like the Jedi Knight series nowadays. It is Star Wars - it would sell.

lookameatbag and crazyewok like this.
  4. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Exactly I still play jedi knight, darkforces, x wing, empire at war even starwars rebellion.

There is no reason EA could not do a massive game like battlefront as there flagship game but recruit in some smaller game studio' to make some smaller budget games of other genres like X wing, EAW or dark forces ect, it would make them even more money as the genres don't cross and the games will be smaller budget.

If I was Disney I would fire EA for not doing the above as they are wasting the licence!
    There are entire market segments they are ignoring! Thats Bad buisness!

If I was Disney I would have bethusad create a starwars role playing game, paradox a strategy, egosoft a space simulator and blizzard a mmorpg and let EA do the silly online fps as that' all they want to do.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    christophero30 likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I usually stick to the classics, be it Star Wars or not. Last month I instantly bought Star Wars: Racer, when it made it's digital debut. I haven't been able to play my retail copy ever since I left my old XP machine over a decade ago, so it was nice that GOG worked its magic and provided a version fully compatible with modern systems.

As far as current Star Wars games go, only Battlefront 2 seemed remotely interesting. But I haven't bought it nor will I buy it until I know it's full content. So far, it seems lacking, specially compared to the Pandemic's entries.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The new versions of the Thrawn's Revenge mod for Forces of Corruption keeps me busy. A game that exists because of the mod developers love for Star Wars.

EA's games have no love involved. They exist only to milk money out of the whales. Dead Space 2 was the last EA game I bought and ever will as long as Robbie Rotten (aka Andrew Wilson) is the CEO.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I have a Wii/Gamecube and still play Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 and The Force Unleashed and Lego Star Wars.

Emperor Ferus and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve wanted to play Battlefront but I’m still on an Xbox 360.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    It' generic crap your not missing anything.

lookameatbag likes this.
  10. DarthKamen

DarthKamen Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2018
    It's actually a really fun game. And that's coming from someone who doesn't like FPS's.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Battlefront 2 has slowly but surely improved itself. The story mode is good and the multiplayer has really improved since launch.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_I_–_Racer

Check that page out. I managed to get my retail copy working on a 64 bit Windows 10 install. Excellent game, and one I still need to get a complete box copy of.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I'm aware of PC Gaming Wiki. I've been a contributor there since 2012. The issue is not getting game installed, but to run the game. There's some issue going on and dgVoodoo doesn't do what it's supposed to (an issue that also affected Rogue Squadron). Fortunately, the GOG version is playable right from the get go, no time-consuming workarounds required.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Ah, OK. Just thought I'd drop what got the game working for me.

Yup.

I've said it a bunch before, but Lucasfilm needs to use a modified Games Workshop model for licensing. Hire on a small QA / Dev team out of Lucasarts with an increased licensing division including some in-house "creative consultants" that serve as intermediaries between Lucasarts, Lucasfilm, and Disney. The licensing team both sends out offers to companies from a Lucasfilm shortlist while accepting open calls for pitches from smaller studios. They work out the terms, the Disney marketing machine is used for promotion, and the internal dev team is put on standby to both assist the companies working on the license while also monitoring their progress and determining over time whether the project will turn out good or not.

So, you have this big influx of creativity from large and small studios while also maintaining a level of cohesion and quality assurance you don't always get from Games Workshop video games.

eko32eko7 and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  15. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    As someone whose entire gaming hobby can be attributed solely to their enjoyment of classic Star Wars games, I can honestly say that the lack of quality in this particular arena of non-film Star Wars entertainment that disgusts me the most. The fact that EA has the benefit of modern technology that the likes of Obsidian, Ravensoft, Rebellion, Pandemic, Bioware, The Collective, and Lucasarts themselves could only dream of having from 1999-2006, and have churned out products with less quality, is frankly apalling.

When all those developers released a Star Wars game, they would be genre-defining, industry masterpieces. When EA develops them, they cause consumer revolt and plummet sales down into the Earth's crust. And good riddance. They didn't get a cent of my money for their godawful Battlefront games, and they sure as hell won't be getting a dime for their Jedi: Fallen Order game. Which, by the way, takes place between Ep. III and IV during the Dark Times...because we didn't have ENOUGH products centered somewhere in the era of the OT right now. It's not like the entire Nu-Canon from books to comics to TV is basically shackled to the OT era and aesthetic of Rebellion vs Empire and Stormtroopers vs Rebels. Yeah, no thanks.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Fixed it for you ;)

Darth Nobunaga likes this.
  17. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    But I don' want to play battlefront.

I want to play another type of starwars game..........which don' exist because EA is abusing the licence.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  18. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm in a similar spot, I still regularly play the original Star Wars Battlefront 2, in fact I just played it last night. It is the mods that continually keep the game fresh, and are probably the reason why I still play so often. I've tried the new Battlefront during the demo but it felt nothing like the Battlefront games I enjoyed, so I never played it again. I also have no interest in giving EA any money, I'm very disappointed they hold the license for Star Wars games.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  19. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I could care less about what EA does to these games. The golden age under Lucasarts has come and gone (though they did have their problems in their final years) and I doubt we'll ever get a good Star Wars game again.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  20. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Battlefront II is quite fun if you have a good team with you. I can play Heroes v Villains for hours now.. but I don't think anything could ever really peel off the feel of what the game originally was meant to be. The lootbox/gambling situation was quite sinister and destroyed a lot of good will imho.

21. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

lookameatbag likes this.
  22. DarthKamen

DarthKamen Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2018
    2015 Battlefront, yes. But BF2 has over 10 planets not counting the reuse from the last game.

The majority of those complaints were fixed in BF2. And the majority of it's complaints have been fixed.

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Honestly, Battlefront 2 isn't an awful game by any stretch of the imagination. I played it quite a bit during the beta and had a good time. But, given the whole fiasco with lootboxes and microtransactions, I just can't buy it in good conscience, even after their removal.

24. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
  25. Moff Hylldar

Moff Hylldar Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2018
    I occasionally played one of the games within Battlefront (the one where two teams chase each other through some station); I am not saying that I definitely quit on that but I haven't touched it for many months by now.

I do actually play SWTOR on a sometimes daily but at least two-or-three-times-a-weekly base. I think the original eight stories (for the various classes) are still excellent and very enjoyable, and with all the variations and options within the character creation, and in the dialogues, there is still much to be seen yet.

I'm less fond of the way they went with the last two expansions. While there are great cut scenes in them, the overall storyline (The weird power play of the Sith Emperor, giving up everything to start again on Zakuul) doesn't make too much sense imho, and the gameplay isn't hugely interesting: in-between those cutscenes, it is usually just hacking yourselves through a multitude of NPCs that will die anyway even you don't do nothing because your aides will. I don't even like fighting in games too much because it is often boring, but in the older stories there was at least some challenge in various options, like walking around and save time. I like the personal alliance though: the gathering of all the companions of all classes (which btw is why they came up with the Eternal Empire: they needed some overarching enemy so that the former Reps and Imps could unite).

Anyway, I hope they will keep SWTOR online for quite some time to come! Hopefully decades; I've invested a lot of time, emotion and money in it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018